What to do?

Swat pup

I'm sure this has been asked before, so I'll ask it again. I currently have a 2015 Ram 2500 CC diesel, my wife has a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland, they are both paid for. I am new to the site and Expedition but not to 4x4s or off roading. I have spent the last 34 years in Law Enforcement and doing government contracts out of the country. I am not retired but I am now looking forward to it more than ever. I have the opportunity to trade my truck on a 2017 Rubicon JKU and get enough back to fix it up. I will still need a truck as I live on a large piece of property and just need a truck. My question is to those who have went from one to the other, would you fix the truck up or get the Jeep? I'm not into mudding or rock crawling, been there and done that. I would like to see some parts of the country off of the beaten path. My son has a new Rubicon and I drove it about 150 miles today, rides great for a Jeep but a big difference in that and my truck. I think I may be able to get to at least 90% of the places I want to go in my truck. I want to put this to rest because I have been going back and fourth for about six months, so I thought I would get some pointers. I missed the last Expedition Expo in Asheville, N.C. because of work, I'll be there this year if I'm living. Thanks Tracy

locrwln

Expedition Leader
One word - Capacity.
There are a lot of people who use their full-size rigs and go a lot of places with them. If you like the truck, build it and drive it.
Jack

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I loved my big Super Duty. It was both daily driver and off road rig. The truck had great power and traction (dual ARB air lockers) but weight, width, and length was always an issue on tight trails in the woods. Still, the ability to stretch out in my comfy camper shell was so nice...

I'm in a period of transition now, as the truck was destroyed. I am getting a 1979 CJ5 delivered next week. This will not be a daily driver. I've had CJ5s in the past, and they are what I think of when I hear "Jeep". No top, no door driving in nice weather is the next best thing to being on a bike. I will love driving in more places with the smaller, lighter, more nimble Jeep, but my packing and living in it during trips will be drastically different. Gonna make for some cramped trips, but any I go on will be just myself and my dog.

Swat pup

Thanks for the replies. I think the old jeeps and straight axel truck are cool thats what I grew up on. I need something that will also be my DD. My wife told me to trade her Grand Cherokee but thats just her trying to please me (she is great and has put up with a lot). I hope she with be with me on any trips along with my aging dog. My son want's me to get the Rubi and fix it up as he does his and that would be great too. I know no one can make up my mind for me so I guess I'm just looking for some guidance. Thanks

DCH109

Adventurer
I have a 2007 F150 Crewcab and my next ride will either be the new Bronco (if it actually comes out) but most likely a full size 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I am in the process of fixing my F150 up for trail use the way I know.
I grew up in the middle part of BC Canada, where forestry service roads, old and newer logging roads and 2 wheel dirt tracks were common. Getting off the beaten track there was as easy as turning right or left.
Then I had a 1986 F150 single cab 4x4 for a 8' box. Got me everywhere I needed and most places I should not have gone. Never let me down and other than some tree branches giving me some nice pin stripes, there was no where I needed something shorter or smaller.
Your truck being a 3/4 ton would haul a nice popup in the bed camper (not a cap) and you could expo in style. Keep the truck, build it up and have fun with it. Unless you plan to go over some of the Colorado Jeep tracks you will be fine in most places. You may scrape or tap a few trees, but for myself, (6'1) after driving my F150, going back to anything smaller would be tough.

Happykamper

Explorer
No no no no !!! Get the JKU !!! Best decision I ever made. I have never kept a daily driver for more then a year to year and a half !!! I own and love a 2012 JKU!! I'm 6'4" and 260lb and I fit fine. I too have property and I am fortunate to keep my f350 also but the jeep has 79k on it and the truck bought the same year has 28k .... I love my jeep and where it takes me! Get the jeep , get a nice used diesel or big block for the property! Besides the older trucks are much more fun anyway !

bestcoast

Glad to see another Leo here. I have a 2016 JK unlimited rubicon and while I love it, I think you'll miss the capacity of the truck. The new rams are nice trucks and can be built to be very capable off road. Really the only difference performance wise between the Ram and the JK is size. The ram has basically the same style of suspension and you get the cummins with it which is a huge bonus. You'll probably get better MPG in the ram than the jeep when it's all said and done as well. Ultimately do what you think is right, but if it were me, for what it sounds like you want to do, I'd stay with the ram.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Keep the truck (assuming it is 4WD) and add a few mods to enhance capability, but don't go overboard. I have a Power Wagon and my hunting buddy has a new JKU. When we go on longer trips, he always wants to take the PW because it is just so much more comfortable than the Jeep. The PW will go anywhere a Jeep will, as long as it physically fits the trail, and it hauls a lot more stuff. If your current truck is not 4WD, trade it on a PW. If you trade on the JKU, then you still need to get another truck. The PW will do it all.

Swat pup

Thanks, and yes it's a 4x4. It's a tough decision, I look at all of the great rigs both large and small and my mind is off the chart. I'll go out and shoot some tomorrow, I have a few lessons to give, that might clear the mind. The new Power Wagon would be another option and a good one but since I already have this one I just figure It's all in on the truck or get the Rubicon. Thanks

DCH109

Adventurer
I guess the biggest question is where can you not get with that 10%.

Here was my dilemma. I currently have a 1986 FJ60 in my garage. All built up and ready to go. It rides like a old FJ60. So that is out for me and it will have a new home soon.
I looked at seelling mjy F150 to do exactly what your doing.
Get A
Jeep Cherokee
Hummer H3
Jeep Unlimited (some flavor)
Another LR3
etc.

In the end I decided to keep my truck. I am planning a trip to Colorado this summer to hit around the Silverton area. Most know this area well. I know that there are 2 main trails I cannot go near.
Black Bear, first part of Engineer. I am good with that as Black Bear is no trail i want to go down.

Out side of that, i am sure there are a few other I cannot go down, but that is it. I will be fully loaded and I have put all of this stuff into a FJCruiser, LR3 etc and have no room left.
Look at some Expo rigs, ya it is nice sometime to have the short wheel based vehicle, but you sacrifice lots of space. or lose seats and make a 4 seater into a 4 or 2.
the full size (i will not have a cap) i can have everything in the bed. lots of room for myself, my wife, my kids and the dog.

In the end you will have 1/2 of the people telling you get rid of the Ram and get something smaller. You will have the other 1/2 telling you to Keep the Ram and build it up.

Yes i say keep the Ram, but keep it and try it out. If it just does not fit your needs, then sell it and buy something else. At least this way you will know 100% this was not the rig for you.
I have gone through about 5 rigs and over 60K to find out that a full size truck will be perfect for me. It was a hard lesson.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
FWIW, I have had Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, and a handful of small and larger Japanese trucks. Getting into a full size truck was an absolute revelation and I won't go back to a smaller offroad vehicle until I'm just too old for the big truck.

TheColonelJLK

I would recommend a truck as well. I just purchased my first truck ever after owning over 15 Jeeps in my lifetime (From Grand Wagoneer's, CJ's, JK's, Cherokee's and Grand Cherokee's)...and I do not see myself looking back anytime soon. I love the size, the functionality and durability of my truck. At times, a Jeep feels so light, flimsy and cheap. While the Jeep is better suited for 4wheeling, trail riding, etc and probably more aftermarket support, I still think a full size truck can meet your specific needs while also allowing you to do some trail riding/exploring on the backroads. Best of luck on your decision.

Dalko43

Explorer
I guess the biggest question is where can you not get with that 10%.

Here was my dilemma. I currently have a 1986 FJ60 in my garage. All built up and ready to go. It rides like a old FJ60. So that is out for me and it will have a new home soon.
I looked at seelling mjy F150 to do exactly what your doing.
Get A
Jeep Cherokee
Hummer H3
Jeep Unlimited (some flavor)
Another LR3
etc.

In the end I decided to keep my truck. I am planning a trip to Colorado this summer to hit around the Silverton area. Most know this area well. I know that there are 2 main trails I cannot go near.
Black Bear, first part of Engineer. I am good with that as Black Bear is no trail i want to go down.

Out side of that, i am sure there are a few other I cannot go down, but that is it. I will be fully loaded and I have put all of this stuff into a FJCruiser, LR3 etc and have no room left.
Look at some Expo rigs, ya it is nice sometime to have the short wheel based vehicle, but you sacrifice lots of space. or lose seats and make a 4 seater into a 4 or 2.
the full size (i will not have a cap) i can have everything in the bed. lots of room for myself, my wife, my kids and the dog.

In the end you will have 1/2 of the people telling you get rid of the Ram and get something smaller. You will have the other 1/2 telling you to Keep the Ram and build it up.

Yes i say keep the Ram, but keep it and try it out. If it just does not fit your needs, then sell it and buy something else. At least this way you will know 100% this was not the rig for you.
I have gone through about 5 rigs and over 60K to find out that a full size truck will be perfect for me. It was a hard lesson.

FWIW, there have been after actions from people who made it through Black Bear pass with full-sized trucks:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-southwest/976439-anyone-tried-black-bear-road-super-duty.html
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?153982-Black-Bear-pass
http://www.f150online.com/forums/outdoors/470101-anyone-take-rcsb-f150-tight-trails-specifically-ouray-co.html
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/off-road/adventures/jim-mccoy-off-road-truck-camping-101/

My experience has been: if the trail was initially built for road-going vehicles, then a full-sized should be able to make it through (though it may take a more deliberate approach); if the trail was initially built as a wagon, ATV or snowmobile trail but turned into a "jeep" trail, then a full-sized might have issues making it through.

My 2 cents is that full-sized trucks make for better overlanding vehicles; higher towing capacities, higher GVWR's, and more powerful engines make them better suited to loading them up and travelling long distances. The problem with using a jeep or old landcruiser or cherokee is that, despite being more nimble on the technical trails, "overlanders" have a tendency to overload them with gear and mods which really bogs down their performance on long distance highway trips. So my vote goes for staying with the Ram.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior