Bleeding an Espar hydronic system

dtruzinski

Explorer
Backdrop: I have been replacing and re-engineering all of the systems in my custom build box that sits on my 2007 FG. One of the changes I made was to relocate the Isotherm hot water tank. This tank is heated by an Espar D4 Hydronic system. When I relocated the hot water tank I must have positioned it so the inlet/outlets for the coolant were slighly above the radiator cap, creating a pocket of air in the line. I tried many times to bleed the air out with the Lisle 24610 spill free funnel. I got most of it, but there always seemed to be a pocket of air that interfered with the Espar and led to an overheating condition.

Solution: The first order of business was recognizing that the Isotherm was mounted too high (in the fluid circuit). So I relocated it to a place that would put it below the radiator cap. Bled/burped the coolant system again with the Lisle system and still had intermittent failures due to overheating. By the way Espar manual highlights that overheating is most often caused by air in the line. Enter the Spirovent Jr 3/4" Air Eliminator (VJR075) http://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=VJR075. This is an amazing product. I installed it, burped the system for 20 mins, drove for 30 minutes and then parked the rig. The heater has been working flawlessly for over 30 days and I needed it to, as we have been dipping down into the -34F temps for extended periods of time and I like to keep everything warm.

This is an inexpensive solution that constantly extracts any air from the system. If you are using a hydronic system, this is a must have device. At $90 USD and 5 min install, it is one of the best solutions I have run across in a long time.

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
Really appreciate the info!

I spent hours & hours bleeding my system using 2 valves located at hose high points with a hand vacuum pump to "encourage" the air to be sucked out when it passed by - this is in addition to having the expansion tank located at the highest point. Sounds ridiculous & it was - it did work though so there's that...but I still have a floor radiant circuit where I hear the air going through the pumps occasionally. When installing multiple circuits in the limited confines of a truck cabin there are likely to be multiple "natural" air traps and I'm not sure what I could have done differently on the install. I absolutely dreaded having to go in & rebleed the system when I add another radiator so your tip is most welcome! Thanks, Moe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier