Coolant or distilled water?

The_Dude

Adventurer
What do you carry in the rare case of a surprise coolant leak? I have been carrying a open jug of coolant and as it heated up in my cargo box it expands and leaks out of the cap.

Thinking of just getting a jug of distilled water for future use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've always carried either a bottle of anti-freeze, at least when I carry anything. I figure if I needed distilled water most any grocery store would have it but appreciate that that would be of little use in the backcountry. Guess I just assumed I'd use creek water. I've actually done that, use creek water, after an 'incident' trying to cross Medano Creek too fast during spring run off, but in a 2F in an old FJ40, so not really too much concern.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
If running lead acid deep cycle batteries, most SHOULD already be carrying some distilled water :)

craig333

Expedition Leader
Nothing special. In an emergency I'll use whatever water I have. Pond water, beer, pee if it gets me off the trail.

4xdog

Explorer
In my Tacoma -- nuthin'. I'll make do, and the odds are good on that.

In my 1962 Triumph TR3 -- 50:50 ethylene glycol antifreeze:deionized water mix. I keep the jug filled to the brim to minimize pressure changes with altitude or temperature and on that car there's a pretty good chance I'm gonna need it at some point. I can always dilute further and still give the protection I need. Heck, with that car and how it gets driven, water alone would be fine in a pinch.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Tap / potable water. So I can drink it too, in an emergency. Pretty damned silly that wasn't the first response on 'expedition portal'.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Tap / potable water. So I can drink it too, in an emergency. Pretty damned silly that wasn't the first response on 'expedition portal'.
Not everyone is going to carry that much water. I sometimes take less stored water along with a filter with me, although this would be a motorcycle or bicycle situation so you are right that I didn't think about the 10 liter Nalgene I always carry in the truck. But I suppose I would probably weigh using potable water against using another source if available. What happens if you used your water and start leaking again? Then you're still stuck and now without drinking water.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Don't be stupid. Your gainsaying is full of strawmen / what ifs. It's easy to make a score of 'what ifs' that make any given scenario untenable. My only point is if one is carrying water, then carry water that's dual purpose. I made zero argument about 'enough', or stop leak or anything else. And frankly a vehicle will operate with less than full capacity, that's why the 'out' hose on radiators is at the bottom. Anyone that puts ALL of their drinking water in a leaking radiator is a damned fool.

The Op asked coolant or distilled? My response is neither is really suitable for human consumption, while a vehicle can make do with tap / potable water. Human or vehicle, the purpose of carrying water is to address a matter of emergency or convenience. Any is better than none. And carrying potable beats having a gallon of coolant, by any realistic measure.

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
Regular water is just fine for emergency use. If one thinks about it, typical issues that can cause a significant loss of coolant on the trail probably involve a permanent repair that warrants draining and refilling the cooling system after one gets home anyway. With that being the case, using "tap water" rather than distilled water for a trail repair isn't going to hurt anything. Carrying coolant is a waste of space.

jbezorg

Either/Or? Potable water and/or the ability to filter water. It has more uses in emergency situations.

Water is more efficient in heat transfer. Ethanol glycol has a broader range where it is still efficient at heat transfer. -15 C to 125 C. So unless you are expecting extreme temperatures I would carry water.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Water, any kind of water.

Sure distilled would be nice, but tap water ain't the devil many people want to think it is. If a little bit of minerals is going to hurt your battery or cooling system, then it was already toast. It's an emergency right? Save the distilled water for regular service at home for the battery. Use premix for the coolant system.

Also in an emergency, window washing fluid can be used as a mild "water wetter" if you can only find water offroad and you lost all of your coolant.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Distilled water might be needed maybe twice per year for maintaining FLOODED lead acid batteries with access caps. Distilled water is not necessary for most cooling systems.
For unexpected leaks I carry a small container of Aluma-seal or Bars Leak. Although things like dried onion and or pepper even raw egg can work, temporarily for small leaks in an emergency. To replenish coolant any water, even soda etc. will work temporarily/in an emergency. If your vehicle needs proprietary coolant (that GM orange or the Ford Gold) avoid using standard coolant as a mixture for ethylene glycol(standard coolant) and proprietary coolant may cause internal corrosion. If I carry coolant it is normally a partial jug of whichever premix the vehicle needs, in addition to the potable water that's along for the ride.

Enjoy!

Kevin108

Explorer
I changed my mind. Instead of distilled water or coolant, you should carry a still so you can make distilled water from any water source. :bowdown:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior