Truck Bed Storage Solutions

SursOverland

Observer
I'm familiar with drawer systems for truck beds but being that I have a frontier my options are non existent. I'd be down to build one but weight is a concern so the best option seems to be weather tight storage bins. I haven't had much luck finding some that seem like they'd be sufficient.
Looking to see how people are transporting their gear in their truck beds and what your storage solutions are.

HouseVVares

I have been using the Plano sportsman trunks for the last couple of years with good results. I got them at my local Academy, but I'm sure many places carry them.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/plano-storage-locker#repChildCatid=3516443

They stack, have wheels on one side, a sealing lid with a hinge. I think the price is right too. There are a few different sizes too I think.

I'm using them for camping gear or clothes, but I could see a smaller size working for gear you want to leave in the truck all the time. They also have molded in hooks do it is easy to strap then down in the bed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

SursOverland

Observer
I have been using the Plano sportsman trunks for the last couple of years with good results. I got them at my local Academy, but I'm sure many places carry them.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/plano-storage-locker#repChildCatid=3516443

They stack, have wheels on one side, a sealing lid with a hinge. I think the price is right too. There are a few different sizes too I think.

I'm using them for camping gear or clothes, but I could see a smaller size working for gear you want to leave in the truck all the time. They also have molded in hooks do it is easy to strap then down in the bed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

This is up my alley. There's an academy down the street from my house and they have these.

Check out front runner outfitters.

I've looked there but I cant find info on whether their storage boxes are 'weather proof' or not. I mainly need them to keep out dust and moisture. I have a tonneau cover on the back of the truck bed but some dust still gets in there and occasionally some moisture.

Hundreds of folks that have solved your trouble, in the Storage subforum.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/91-Storage-Solutions

You haven't yet mentioned any specific criteria or issues you are trying to solve, so other than 'build your own' I don't have any specific solutions to suggest.

I've looked but it seems to be much more geared toward drawers and cabinetry rather than cheaper less permanent solutions. I'm looking for boxes like the one posted here that are weather proof that can keep dust and possibly moisture out. I have a tonneau cover on the truck but its not totallly dustproof in there.

eaneumann

Adventurer
I have some Dewalt Tough boxes that are cheap and weatherproof. Rigid also makes some. They stack and lock together. They don't have great tie down options.

SursOverland

Observer
I have some Dewalt Tough boxes that are cheap and weatherproof. Rigid also makes some. They stack and lock together. They don't have great tie down options.

Thanks, I'll have to look into the Dewalt boxes.

I have a plano sportsman trunk as well. I've hauled it on my roof rack in the rain and wind and it held up just fine. You can buy some weatherstripping from Lowe's or home depot to fill in the channel on the bottom of the lid. Check post #20 and #22: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121389-Plano-1919-Waterproof-Storage-Trunk

This is great. I have been debating using other sturdier storage boxes I've seen and adding some sort of stripping to make them more weather proof myself. I'll have to look into this route if the Academy one's suggested earlier in this thread dont work out.

Blender

Adventurer
Two pelican 1600 cases mounted to an EO2 rail. Lockable snaptop rails for light duty security and to keep them from bouncing out. Latches and handles are ultra tight against the tailgate so use of the tailgate lock keeps grab and go criminals at bay. They are plastic cases, so no need for super security in my eyes. I used two smaller cases so each is light enough to be carried/installed while loaded. Removal allows for bed use, with the 1.5" thick mounting plate remaining.

8uZGjPdh.jpg

hByGXUDh.png

RFMMaRdh.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
OP, just combine the plastic totes / bins of your choice with a custom built platform. 1/2" vertical supports, a 3/4" deck. All of about 70-lbs for a Frontier-sized rear (44x73?) cargo platform and your bins become your drawers. There are several fin examples of this in the Storage subforum sticky thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior