brake type and how to size them

EduardoMas

Hi, long time lurker, 1st time poster in the trailer forum.

I have an existing flat bed trailer 4ft x 7.5ft built with 2x3 and 1.5 x 2.5 tubing weighing about 500 lbs
It carries 1, 2 or 3 bikes at an average of 300 lbs each plus fuel and some camping stuff.

So the weight of the frame and bikes combined would be between 900 to 1600 lbs.

currently the trailer has tires on 12 inch rims and want to change it to fit my 4runner rims.
The rims are 6 bolt on 5.5in. with 265-75r16 tires.

The suspension will stay at 2000lb leaf springs.

I will be doing mild offroading with it, not rock crawling, but a few miles of rocky, muddy trails after looong gravel twisty roads.

The question for the collective is about brakes.
Are they needed and should they be electric, hydraulic and what about the brake size.
Reliability and simplicity is key.

Prethanks,

Ed.

quickfarms

Adventurer
The first thing to check are the regulations for your area, are brakes required for your trailer weight.

The second thing to consider is what are you towing it with and how the vehicle is loaded

I have trailers of varying weights.

Light trailers like yours generally do not have brakes.

azscotts

Observer
What generation 4Runner are you running? V6 or V8. I had 2 of the 3rd gen 4Runners and for each one I did a Tundra Brake Mod. Toyota rotors are notoriously undersized and they warp pretty easily. So when pulling a trailer, keep that in mind. If I still had one of my 4Runners, I'd be putting brakes on anything I was pulling for that reason alone.

Electric brakes seem to be the simplest. The folks over at Southwest Wheel should be able to answer your questions further though. I've lurked their site for a while. I'm using the Flexiride 3,500 lb axles with brakes, etc.

EduardoMas

Hi quickfarms

Brakes are not mandated locally.
The tow vehicle is a '99 Toyota 4runner with good brakes.
I wanted to pick the collective brains about brakes for mild offroading, say wen you are going down a corner on steep loose downhills.
I am retentive with the Toyota :smiley_drive: and want to prevent any foreseeable trouble.

EduardoMas

azscotts,

it is a 1999 T4R, 3rd gen, 5spd, stock and original brakes at 123k miles... i am easy on gear

are electrical breaks well modutated or more of an on-off thing.
what size are your brakes, wheel size and trailer average weight

e.
ps, shift key is sticking so no question marks are possible.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94