batteries we all have...and other uses

dirtyzj

batteries we all have...and other uses.......power tools..i do not want to start a my tool spins faster than yours debate...
I recently decided to start carrying my 18v impact and was looking for other uses around the camp site.
Some are easy work lights ,radios and charging phones, heated gear (which i really like) other tools. Previously i had hard wired in a small charger for aaa and aa batteries which worked great for cameras and small lights. Writing this helped me to decide to hard wire a charger in. I still looking for other uses....tent fan???
Any ideas???

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Sawzall with long crosscut blade for firewood. Hammer drill for sinking a winching anchor into rock.

Otherwise...just the flashlight.

tarditi

Explorer
Sorry - I'm having trouble following the question - looking for other uses for an 18v power pack or other things that can be battery operated to make use of battery standardization?

Personally, I have a bunch of 12v and USB outlets wired up in my JKUR, also a slight investment in Goal0 gear (lighter duty chargers and solar panels).
I only have a few battery-powered devices like headlamps and flashlights.

Last edited:

Zeep

Adventurer
I keep a small sealed lead acid battery (like those found in emergency lights). Works great for bench testing, etc.
I also take it with me to the pick & pull. For testing parts I take off

KG4NEL

Observer
As one of my reasons for off-roading is photography, it unfortunately lends itself to chargers multiplying everywhere (Li Ion for the camera, Eneloops for practically everything else).

I just carry extension cords/splitters.

I keep a small sealed lead acid battery (like those found in emergency lights). Works great for bench testing, etc.
I also take it with me to the pick & pull. For testing parts I take off

A jump pack with a cigarette plug-to-binding post adapter works great for this. Instant 12V wherever you need it.

Last edited:

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
I try to stick with AA for as much as i can. Flash lights, point and shoot camera, headlamps, walkie talkies, hand held GPS, portable fan. However as KG4NEL mentioned.....Go pro battery, nikon battery, dog collars etc. lends you to need an inverter for specialty chargers. I do have a pair Milwaukee 18v batteries for my impact gun, sawzall, angle grinder and bench light but i charge those at home and they last plenty long enough for my trips.

KG4NEL

Observer
I've thought about getting a battery grip - that would let me run it off 6AAs in a pinch. I do shoot a lot of portrait orientation handheld, just not looking forward to taking a loss selling my RRS L-bracket...

inverter

I hard wired an 800watt inverter under the front passenger seat use it for power tools, charging stuff, running small hand held tools sawzall drills etc. I wish I would have gone bit higher then I could use it for my bosch jack hammer ( work related)

dirtyzj

reddirecting

point of my post.... was ideas of other ways to use and configure the tool batteries that are in the garage/ home (all ready bought and paid for).
goal zero products are nice and expensive but at the end of the day its still just a battery.

1 hard wire charging station
better tool brands can do this straight from vehicle no inverter needed

2 use batteries for designed purpose tools when needed and some nice lighting options all plug and play.

3 can be used as charger for hand held devices

4 a bunch of ways with a little work for area lighting

5 tent fan?

battery tech on these tools is much better than it has been.....i own a bunch...i would like to find
new uses for them .

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Makita has a USB charger (as in "can charge stuff via USB") for their LXT (18V) batteries.

I have one, but it charges only with 500mw, so no 3A fast charge, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne