Shock install Bilstein 5100

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
The Bilsteins come with larger bushings than stock, on PA_JERO's Montero we ran the supplied bushings simply by getting the nut started and gently compressing the rubber. For mine i thought I'd try the smaller bushings.
Here are the Bilsteins next to a set of KYBs

The lower bushings come with two different sleeve sizes, i chose the one that fit the Montero and installed it with a C clamp.

20170118_103822.jpg
20170118_104055.jpg

I compressed the shock and tied it to hold it in place. I use a bootlace so that i can wrap below the stud and gradually let it extend as i get it in place. Most people use wire and cut it once the lower is in place then guide the stud to it's location. Whatever works.

20170118_101048.jpg

With the lower mount in place i let off tension from the string and guide it in the tower then untie it from the bottom to be used on the other side.

20170118_101923.jpg

Repeat for the other side, the boots on these shocks are huge for some reason it's like the shock has its pants pulled up to its nipples. Weird.

20170118_110052.jpg

The front shock install on the Montero can be a challenge with gas charged shocks and having the tires on doesn't make it any easier. I've done this a few times so I just leave everything together these days, for the average Joe I would highly recommend removing the front tires with the truck on jack stands.

The rears practically install themselves, put the stud in first this time and compress the shock to line up with the lower mount. BOOM! 5100's or whatever flavor of shock you like.

Attachments

• 20170118_103114.jpg
    20170118_103114.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Swank Force One

Adventurer
Are the 5100s what comes with the ADD lifts? I'm a huge fan of Bilsteins for anything that gets used and abused due to their general robustness and longevity.

Toasty

Shovel is exactly right and the geometry doesn't change on the Gen 3 when you lift it so 4600's are used, the Gen 1&2 change in the rear with lift so we have longer shocks which can be had in a 5100 and these fronts to match stock. Very nice setups, eventually I'll get into 7100's (remote reservoir) but they will require custom towers.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
Good to know, I tried for a while to find a crossover between a common 5100 model (Tundra, Tacoma etc) and never did find one that matched. Glad to hear that the 4600's I eventually picked up are essentially exactly the same...

Toasty

Nice write up Toasty!

Thanks, I need to keep doing write ups so this information is out there. I'm really bad at remembering how modifications went being so many suspensions and engine swaps have past I don't want to mess anyone up. I work around things pretty quickly too so a minor problem to me will be forgotten immediately and it may be a BIG problem for someone else. Usually it's not too big of a deal since most of the Montero crowd has my phone number but there is a lot more of us now and with ADD keeping me busy in my off time it's getting harder for me to be 24 hour tech support that I have been in years past. :violent-smiley-031:

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
Can't seem to find what the part number is for these 5100s? Never mind zoomed in on the picture and it's listed on the shock .

Last edited:

Toasty

My bad, yeah these are special. They can go on but not without a little work, ADD has them ready to rock

Toasty

I'll fix it Tuesday, if you ordered that part number already I'll send you the stuff to make them work for free. My fault for spreading misinformation.

Last edited:

jaccox23

Adventurer
I'll fix it Tuesday, if you ordered that part number already I'll send you the stuff to make them work for free. My fault for spreading misinformation.
This is why I'll order from you guys again, stand up thing to do. Hopefully I won't be broke too much longer and can get a lift kit on order and maybe some bushings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior