LR3 radio volume

ColoDisco

Explorer
I am currently running a 32 pin adapter for my iPhone direct wired into the stereo under the aux input. I have the iLive BT adapter to stream music from my iPhone 6. From what I have read the common issue is the volume is easily 30-40% lower than the radio receiver volume. My question is; what are you using to amp up the volume for streaming or aux input?

We all know our stereos are capable of great sound but it seems they have reduced audio for anything on aux.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
A while back there were threads suggesting the PHP sound shocker or sound shocker pro. I tried one and forget which one exactly. It did boost the volume but the quality suffered pretty bad. The seller (small operation) was totally cool about returning it, apparently some have better success with theirs than others. I gave up on boosting the audio after that.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I used a product from an mfr called "USA Spec" (available through Crutchfield) to bypass the Aux input and go direct into the head unit on my LR3. Worked great, no reduction in volume. I located the unit behind the glove box and had the iPhone connector stubbed out of the center console. That was before Bluetooth (wow that feels weird to say, but it was 12 years ago in 2005!).

More recently, I have also had great success with GROM Audio units on other cars, particularly their bluetooth enabled units.

Here is my old LR3 setup:
IMG_3250-XL.jpg

Observant readers may note more than a few oddities about my old LR3 in this photo!

Ray_G

Explorer
One of the base model (coiler) LR3's brought in, V6 too, right? About ~500 of them total in the country.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
One of the base model (coiler) LR3's brought in, V6 too, right? About ~500 of them total in the country.

I was told there were 23 of them, or maybe 27. Mine was an oddity even among them, as it was a mule with an odd set of features as part of an early shipment brought in by LRNA to test different options and configurations.

cornfarmer

Observer
I have the Sound Shocker Pro version (better freq. response) and it definitely helps solve the low input signal issue. It's not super loud but that's probably by design. Audio quality seems transparent enough, i.e. doesn't color the input signal as far as I can tell. I would recommend it if you want something that doesn't need batteries and you can just set it and forget it.

Mine is mounted in the armrest cubby using the supplied velcro adhesive tabs - in the summer it gets too hot so they get soft and no longer hold it in place....have to figure out something better.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I have the Sound Shocker Pro version (better freq. response) and it definitely helps solve the low input signal issue. It's not super loud but that's probably by design. Audio quality seems transparent enough, i.e. doesn't color the input signal as far as I can tell. I would recommend it if you want something that doesn't need batteries and you can just set it and forget it.

Mine is mounted in the armrest cubby using the supplied velcro adhesive tabs - in the summer it gets too hot so they get soft and no longer hold it in place....have to figure out something better.

I had a pro version too. I may have just had a bad one. YMMV

nwoods

Expedition Leader
No one commented on the color! Silver plastic instead of black or wood grain.
There were about 5 different layers of paint on the original trim pieces, as LRNA tried out a variety of "silver tone" finishes before they ultimately stayed with black or the dealer applied wood tones. The first hot summer I owned it, the paint literally sagged off, and LRNA's Special Project's director harvested the pieces and gave me yet another silver color to see how it looked. It turned out to be a keeper :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier