Pinzgauer experts need help

Stroked 550

Adventurer
hey guys

I am looking at buying a Pinzgauer 710 this weekend and was wondering what are the dimensions of the engine compartment?

ideally what I want to do is put a Cummins 4bt in there is that feasible / has anyone done it?

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
No way will a 4BT be a good engine choice for a Pinzgauer - way too tall and too heavy. The stock engine is very lightweight as it is air cooled. It also sits on top of the differential so there isn't a lot of room for the oil pan unless you don't care about having a passenger seat.

Check out the Russian guy's site on youtube who put a toyota diesel in one - he ended up widening the entire truck by 8 inches to get the seats to fit back in. Impressive work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcZ35XOR4pg

Last edited:

Stroked 550

Adventurer
thanks Haf-E it looks like he has cool build it must ride pretty nicely with air ride I wonder how the bags would hold up for offroading

I want to get more power and willing to have some fabrication done but I dont want to go to that extent of fab work

What other engine would fit in there without too much modification and have the correct hp and torque curves?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Having owned 2 Pinzgauer's. If you really feel the need for more speed, then I would highly recommend a different vehicle to start with. IMHO you will simply ruin a perfectly good truck and spend a ton of time and money doing it.

Stroked 550

Adventurer
hey Gear,

it would be nice to have some more highway driveability but I did a lot of research today and looks like its not feasible with the drivetrain set up .

Do you still have any Pinzgauers?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
hey Gear,

it would be nice to have some more highway driveability but I did a lot of research today and looks like its not feasible with the drivetrain set up .

Do you still have any Pinzgauers?

No, I sold both a couple of years ago. I should have kept the white 710m. It was extremely clean. It seems they are getting harder and harder to find in that condition.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The best option for improved highway drivability of a 710 or 712 Pinzgauer is to upgrade the engine to the 2.7 displacement pistons and cylinders which also have higher compression and then go to fuel injection. There is a guy in SoCal (www.goatwerks.com) who does this frequently. The value of the truck will be retained - even increased - and it doesn't involve cutting up the truck.

For the 6x6 versions, the T-case also needs to be swapped to the 4x4 version and also plan on taller tires - at least 33" or even 34" if you can find narrow enough ones.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
If you have to use a cummins engine - the new R2.8 engine would probably fit better and it is about 500 lbs compared to 750 lbs for the 4BT. If the alternator was relocated to the other side it would fit better and give more clearance to the passenger area. The turbo is low mounted and might be able to go under the passenger seat acting as a heater. The engine would sit higher up - affecting the height of the doghouse cover and also would reduce stability slightly. still a tricky swap to do and the motor is still an unknown item - no firm price or reliability and the exhaust treatment system hasn't been detailed yet.

ISF2_8_Cam07-350px.png

Stroked 550

Adventurer
ideally I would like to do an engine swap because I would definitely like more power with the gear I'll be carrying and for the freeway. This R2.8 sounds interesting thanks for sharing that with me, fabricating a new doghouse isnt a big deal he can make anything happen pretty much.

my friend owns a offroad fabrication shop, funny enough I went to stop by and theres a Pinzguaer sitting in his shop. the owner wants to have an electric motor put in it. it should be pretty interesting to see how that turns out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz