Need help measuring for new shocks

98tcoma3rz

Observer
I'm not sure how I measure what length shocks I need. I want to replace mine with some bilstein 5125 or possibly resi shocks. This is my current setup but I am going to be changing them to /\

Also when I raise the truck on a lift the rear axle hangs by the shocks. Would I need some limit straps? Thanks for any input...

10312750_10152267281048402_2651114416765239722_n.jpg

D

Deleted member 96197

Do you have access to a fork lift?

You're going to need to know where the shocks will be mounted, then the length between the mounting points when you are at full droop and at the bumpstops.
Open length should be no less than your measurement at full droop.
Closed length should not be more than your measurement on the bumpstops

I'm sure you've already explored the effects of changing your shock angles, so I won't go in to that, but since this will require you to change your mounting points you should be able to adjust enough to make this work for you, but if you end up with more flex than shock stroke (the situation you have now) then you're right limiting straps will help prevent the destruction of your shocks.

98tcoma3rz

Observer
Do you have access to a fork lift?

You're going to need to know where the shocks will be mounted, then the length between the mounting points when you are at full droop and at the bumpstops.
Open length should be no less than your measurement at full droop.
Closed length should not be more than your measurement on the bumpstops

I'm sure you've already explored the effects of changing your shock angles, so I won't go in to that, but since this will require you to change your mounting points you should be able to adjust enough to make this work for you, but if you end up with more flex than shock stroke (the situation you have now) then you're right limiting straps will help prevent the destruction of your shocks.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94