International Harvester Four Wheel Camper

MB309basket

Adventurer
Have I got a deal for you

silverscout said:
As for chopping it up and turning it into a monster truck, I doubt Ill go there. I do hope to throw some power steering in soon. I baisically would like to make it as comfortable as International Harvester will allow me. Would converting it to four wheel drive using all Scout parts be too non-stock?

Neat project.

I have the next body style older of International 4x4 pickup sitting behind my barn. It is a piece of cr*p.

My mechanic (who's truck it is) is going to harvest the motor/trans (a Mustang transplant that he has another use for) and roll the rest of the truck to the wrecking yard.

If you want the 4X4 parts, or anything else, p-mail me (soon). As a matter of fact, if you want the whole truck, you can have it (we have title in hand, registration is currently expired).

Probably if you want the motor in it (so you can drive it slowly and illegally home), the mechanic would sell it complete for the $600 range. If you want the carcass, I will give it to you free.

edit: Added pic

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Unfortunately Scouts are a narrower track width than a full size. They are close to the later "wide track" Jeep CJ's in track width.

As I've mentioned, I've a friend with Scouts. He may have what you're looking for. PM when ready for me to ask. We're both about 250-275 miles south of you, but I'm up that way time to time. Can always use it as an excuse to visit friends up there.....

1976K5Chalet

Observer
Thnx for the pics. There is a blue scout that always seems to be going the other direction but has a 4wpc on it....always wanted to see one on a scout.

Of course if one waits long enough here in western colorado...your bound to see one of every pop top ever made...lol.

DW

silverscout

Adventurer
Snap a pic, if you get a safe oppurtunity. I've only seen one other specimen in person, at Pismo beach of all places.

This was his truck. He's was (is?) an employee of Four Wheel Campers.

tn_21_sm.gif

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Nice Camper!

Great find, Sean. I somehow missed your posting back in July.

The camper looks more at home on a Traveler than the regular Scout II. There's much more room to get some of the weight in front of the back axle.

Here are a few pics from a Death Valley trip last week.

DeathValley2008151.jpg

DeathValley2008216.jpg

Please let me know when I can see it in person.

-Phil

silverscout

Adventurer
Looking good Phil! Very utilitarian. How about a trip write up? Now that your Scout is on the verge of be finished (are they ever?), can you post more pictures of the interior?

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
silverscout said:
Looking good Phil! Very utilitarian. How about a trip write up? Now that your Scout is on the verge of be finished (are they ever?), can you post more pictures of the interior?

Thanks for the suggestion Sean. Here's a link to the write up:

https://expeditionportal.com/xenforo_live/index.php?threads/21598/

I would be very tempted to mount it on the Silver Scout... but a Traveler build-up would be awesome. How did your maiden voyage go?

The interior of my camper is in a very temporary condition and I haven't really worked on the Scout since February. Just a 3- day "cram" before the DV trip. After spending 6 days & 5 nights in the Scout, I am planning to completely re-configure the interior components (water tank, fridge, heater, etc.) and will post pics on my build-thread.

Please let me know if you'll be around next weekend or the weekend after. I can drive it up to SF.

-Phil

Last edited:

Binder Lou

Observer
Sean, what are the odds. I met you at the IH Rallye in October. You loaned my a copy of Overland Journal. I subscribed and got my first copy about a week ago. That's where I found out about the Expedition Portal. I registered today and I was wandering around, clicked on International Harvester and lo and behold, there was your Terra. Thanks for sending me this way, there is a tremendous amount of information here so I'll be spending some time. BTW, I'm the guy in the yellow Scout parked near yours at the show.
You do have a nice truck. If you want some IH specific information, like should you convert the Terra to 4WD, check out the forums on www.ihonlynorth.com, some great technical help there.

Attachments

• Scout New 002.jpg
    Scout New 002.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 78

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Boy that is a 'clean' AND yellow Scout. Nice :)

Welcome to the Portal.

Binder Lou said:
Sean, what are the odds. I met you at the IH Rallye in October. You loaned my a copy of Overland Journal. I subscribed and got my first copy about a week ago. That's where I found out about the Expedition Portal. I registered today and I was wandering around, clicked on International Harvester and lo and behold, there was your Terra. Thanks for sending me this way, there is a tremendous amount of information here so I'll be spending some time. BTW, I'm the guy in the yellow Scout parked near yours at the show.
You do have a nice truck. If you want some IH specific information, like should you convert the Terra to 4WD, check out the forums on www.ihonlynorth.com, some great technical help there.

silverscout

Adventurer
Sean, what are the odds. I met you at the IH Rallye in October. You loaned my a copy of Overland Journal. I subscribed and got my first copy about a week ago. That's where I found out about the Expedition Portal. QUOTE]

Lou! Welcome aboard. Im glad you found it and found your own copy of OJ. Its hard to part with them. Kate and I are in Cambodia right now but when I get back I really want to get going on the old girl. Get her ready for a proper journey.

You know Ill be in contact. You seem to know the answers.

Sean

Super Doody

Explorer
Sean, what are the odds. I met you at the IH Rallye in October. You loaned my a copy of Overland Journal. I subscribed and got my first copy about a week ago. That's where I found out about the Expedition Portal. QUOTE]

Lou! Welcome aboard. Im glad you found it and found your own copy of OJ. Its hard to part with them. Kate and I are in Cambodia right now but when I get back I really want to get going on the old girl. Get her ready for a proper journey.

You know Ill be in contact. You seem to know the answers.

Sean

Sean,

Where in SF are you located? I'm in the Sunset:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles