Looking at a 2003 V10 SMB

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Anything i should take a look at in particular? Its a 2003 Ford EB "Photographers Edition" E350 V-10 4x4 w/48,000 miles on the clock.

Anything wrong with that motor i should ask about? Heard something about spark plugs with not enough threads but they changed that in 2003.. ?

Drove the truck tonight and it ran like a champ. Everything looks perfect on it. Nothing seems wrong. The entire truck is in great condition and only offroad 4 times in 4 years.

Here's a photo of it. Love the color.
colby1.jpg

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:
Anything i should take a look at in particular? Its a 2003 Ford EB "Photographers Edition" E350 V-10 4x4 w/48,000 miles on the clock.

Anything wrong with that motor i should ask about? Heard something about spark plugs with not enough threads but they changed that in 2003.. ?

Drove the truck tonight and it ran like a champ. Everything looks perfect on it. Nothing seems wrong. The entire truck is in great condition and only offroad 4 times in 4 years.

Here's a photo of it. Love the color.
colby1.jpg

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

It looks very nice, however I would look for a diesel engine, the V10 is known to be a gas gassler!

Gravity

Observer
got a 01 V10 and we love it. The V10 is a pretty reliable motor, tons of power, quiet. Yeah your mileage will avg around 12ish mpg's but the above poster didn't mention that it's actually cheaper to run the V10 over the noiser, trouble-prone diesel. They only get maybe 15mpg.

Van looks good!

-d

kjp1969

Explorer
Do you mind that long overhang in the back? The short bodies look like they have a much better departure angle. I have trouble picturing that big boy climbing a hill of any real size.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah im fine with it for what we do. Love the extended amount of room outback.. always felt the SMB's were cramped for space.. this one feels just right. It has dual spares on the back too. It's quite the beast.

pict0009copywc5.jpg

Last edited:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yeah its a great rig.. hopefully we'll get it.... Here are the specs....

Photographers model PH w/Bed, “50”, Leather Capt Seats, Upgraded Stereo w/ Pioneer Nav. System, Back up Camera, AM/FM/XM Radio, 12 Disc CD Changer, Upgraded Speakers, CB, Sink, Refrigerator, Two One Burner Portable Stoves, Porta Potti, Propane Furnace, Portable Inverter, Two Tables, Large Sized Under Floor Storage, Warn Winch, Portable Air Compressor, Roof Racks, Front & Rear Aluminum Bumpers w/ Fog Lights and Back Up Lights, Bushwackers, Custom Wheels & Tires, Custom Grill, Scan Gauge, Prodigy Trailer Electric Brake Controller, 46 Gallon Fuel Tank, Black Power Coated Running Boards, Six Bridgestone LT285 75R16 Tires W/ Six American Racing Wheels and Correct Track, Snow Chains, Tow Hitch, Rancho Shocks, Sleep 4, Seats 5

What's the Correct Track??? Is that just wheel spacers? I did a search on the net and looked at the SMB website but couldn't find info on it.

adrenaline503

Explorer
That thing looks great. Does the pop top roof have the ability to hold any weight? If I could carry 2 bicycles that would be one of my dream rigs.

ron86toy

Observer
I had an '02 v10....just need the proper torque wrench when swapping plugs.Other than that yes they like fuel.I would also look for some used coil packs to keep with you.....can usually find a hand full for 100.00 or so.I ran a diablo tuner on mine....did not notice performance that much....but loved the change in shift change and firmness.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
adrenaline503 said:
That thing looks great. Does the pop top roof have the ability to hold any weight? If I could carry 2 bicycles that would be one of my dream rigs.

Yeah, you can store a kayak up there along with some bikes. Stay away from my deam rig! I might have to go put a deposit on it today to keep the vultures away! LOL!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
ron86toy said:
I had an '02 v10....just need the proper torque wrench when swapping plugs.Other than that yes they like fuel.I would also look for some used coil packs to keep with you.....can usually find a hand full for 100.00 or so.I ran a diablo tuner on mine....did not notice performance that much....but loved the change in shift change and firmness.

Coil pack noted. I appreciate your insight.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I was leaning towards them being wheel spacers. Alright thanks for finding that out for us. Another thing to maintain and keep on top off. Yae. Not a deal breaker though.

Momrocks

Adventurer

Good call on properly torqueing the plugs. Some of the first V10s had a reputation for spitting the spark plugs. I think Ford resolved that issue, I am not sure what year models were prone to blowing out plugs. My neighbor has a V10 in his in his F250. It accelerates up hill pulling a 26 foot center console with twin 200s. He loves that engine, but like us all he hates feeding it. He gets 11 MPG empty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94