"The Build" Adventure Trailers Chaser #15

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Well here it goes -- I am the proud owner of Adventure Trailers, Chaser #15 and this is the story about me experience building it at the factory. First off I just want to say that the group of guys at Adventure Trailers are top notch individuals who went above and beyond all of my expectations. Thanks again to Martyn, Mario, and Rodger. OK here is how it went down, I visited about a month ago and talked extensively with Martyn. I stated that I was interested in the Chaser and that I wanted to build it myself. Do to the high demand for the Chaser no one had been sold a kit. All were pre built at the factory. Long story short Martyn invited me to build my Chaser in there parking lot. Probably because I kept saying that I wanted to be there guiney pig. So I asked my brother, Miles if he was interested in joining me for the build. We arrived early on a Thursday morning about 7:00 am and completed the build by the next day, Friday at 9:00 pm. I must say I put in two 12 hour days and the real time it would have taken if I were doing it alone would be closer to 3-4 days. Martyn and Mario stepped in and helped me a lot! Now with this said it is not a difficult build at all. It is just time consumming if you are trying to complete it in two days. Although I did not feel rushed I would have enjoyed spending more time on the build. This would be my only complaint. The construction and materials used are top notch. Everything is overbuilt and feels good to the hand. This is real metal folks not that stuff you Toyota owners are use too! Well I will let the photographs speak for themselfs. I have gone ahead and captioned what is going on in the photographs. Enjoy the show!:coffee:

Enclosed is a link to 160 photographs of the build. http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8EatWzFu0cOzA&notag=1

Justin
2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Adventure Trailer Chaser #15

60seriesguy

Adventurer
WOW, *DROOOOOOOOOOL*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is awesome, congratulations! Whew, makes me want to puke when I consider the amount of time and $$$ spent on my crude (in comparison) trailer project....

Very well thought-out and executed trailer, I can see all of the components are top quality and that Mario doesn't cut any corners. The functionality of the water tank is amazing.

Very nice! Now I gotta leave, I'm going to be late to work because of spending too much time drooling over your pics! :)

Whoknows

Observer
Very cool. Thanks for posting and for all the pics. I'm impressed that you took the plunge and built it yourself (with some adult supervision!). A needed fix while I await delivery of my new Horizon.

PCRover

Adventurer
Super cool. Looks like quite a bit of assembly work, but the resuts were worth it! Nice job and great slideshow.

Steve Curren

Explorer
You sure went the extra mile for your Chaser, also looks like you had a good time working on your baby. Also like your Rubicon, when I pulled my Chaser it was as if it wasn't there. Enjoy it and maybe there will be a convention of off road trailers someday.

Steve Curren

david despain

Adventurer
Grim Reaper said:
So what is the price of the you assemble model?

personally i have always been fond of this economic model/ sign on the wall:
shop rate 100$hr
shop rate if you watch 150$/hr
shop rate if you help 300$/hr

:jump:

i would LOVE to see that trailer offered in a do it yourself kit form. it looks like the frame was pre-assembled/ pre-welded and the pannels pre bent so that all there was to do is put all the pieces together and install your own wiring and accesories. that would be a fantastic project to do with the kids over the winter and then take them camping in the spring. once they are old enough to help that is. might get kinda pricy to ship that much stuff and weight on pallets though. sure would be fun to work on for a couple hours at a time and stand back and get some wild idea then figure out how to make it work then work on it a while more. do that for a few months at nite or on the weekends and it would be a fine hobby.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper

Well the nice thing about the Chaser is you can pick and choose what you want as far as the accessories. The standard trailer which includes the chassis, zinc coated steel, powder coated cargo box, 14 gauge zinx coated steel, powdercoated trailing arm airbag suspension with shock absorber, drop leg jack and wheel, rubber matting, and a 2" coupler is kit priced at $3264.00 a savings of $810.00 over the assembled price of $4074.00. Now I saved quite a bit more because of all the add on's. I believe the add on's are what make this trailer special. I am currently waiting for a couple of new items to be released for the Chaser. With time they will become available and I will have them sent to me. These items are the awning and propane storage holder. As far as a winter project the Chaser would be great. That was my original intention. By the kit and assemble it with my boys. Then reality set in, my 3 and 1 year old would be working far faster then me at taking it apart. Projected completion time with my kids, 3 months.

Justin

Doin_It

Adventurer
Man you guys were really moving on the project, infact in some of the pic's your hands are even a blur.... It all sure does look good with a good set of pictures. Thanks for the story line.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Gear said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper

Well the nice thing about the Chaser is you can pick and choose what you want as far as the accessories. The standard trailer which includes the chassis, zinc coated steel, powder coated cargo box, 14 gauge zinx coated steel, powdercoated trailing arm airbag suspension with shock absorber, drop leg jack and wheel, rubber matting, and a 2" coupler is kit priced at $3264.00 a savings of $810.00 over the assembled price of $4074.00.

As far as a winter project the Chaser would be great. That was my original intention. By the kit and assemble it with my boys. Then reality set in, my 3 and 1 year old would be working far faster then me at taking it apart. Projected completion time with my kids, 3 months.

Justin

Thats not a bad price. I wonder how much savings (if any) there would be on shipping since I live on the other side of the country.

What about a partial kit. Will they sell the box and suspension seperate?

I can build the frame no problem. It would be worth it for my to buy pre made A frames for the suspension. I don't have a Pan Brake so building the box would not be possible for me. That would make it a real entry level for those of us that have more time then money. I bet I could save a ton of shipping and other cost if I bought the steel local and built the main frame.

Steve Curren

Explorer
From what I understand they will sell the bits and pieces, you could work at your own pace. I would call Mario to find out exact information but as I said I think you could do a little at a time. Everything that makes up the traileres comes ready to assemble I think even I could do it. Best of luck to you.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
A DIY chaser would be really cool. Even better if they would sell just the chassis (the frame and everything underneath it), no cargo box/etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles