Two story Toyota camper with a deck

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
Wow

This definitely has a WOW factor for me!

They did an amazing job with what space they had. The stairs/storage was genius.

Looks airy and comfy!

Good find. :bowdown:

Travelmore

Adventurer
Its so simple yet so clever. I would take it for a trip. I love how you can access the bathroom and kitchen from the outside when the deck is not deployed. Too bad you don't have room to access the bath from inside like the kitchen.
P6150439.jpg

Last edited:

kjp1969

Explorer
That is for very cool, by the welding. I desire the skillfullness and ambitions to project completion of mine trucks also, and as well.

(For the record, their English is much better than my Japanese)

DarinM

Explorer
Awesome

That was really amazingly cool.
Great use of space, technology. Very impressive.
Thanks for posting!

ThomD

Explorer
This is really cool. For the last couple of weeks I've been tossing around the question of "How big is too big?". I could not come up with a floor plan of any kind that gave the features we want in a reasonably small package. I'd gotten to the point of thinking there was no place to go but up, but I had not figured out how to do it on a hard sided shell. This is a great solution, but I think I'll pass on the tub.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
There's a lot that's really ingenious about this build, but I want to give kudos to the idea of getting a raised roof / sunroof by welding a car hatchback on the top of the truck cab:

01021425.jpg

ThomD

Explorer
Their web site is pretty cool. They did take the tour around Japan and made good use of the vehicle. There is a note somewhere that they are not engineers or carpenters so i wonder how well some of their design decisions worked out.

The more I think about this, the longer the list of questions get:

Steel base and frame: how did they decide how much steel to use? Did they just wing it and over engineer it like most people would? The roof uses some wood beams to save weight. Why not AL?

How did they get away with French Doors? I'd guess they stayed on mostly smooth road, or the would be a risk of the whole thing twisting. That gets back to maybe they just over engineered it all.

I like the use of air shocks to raise it. I know absolutely nothing about compressed air systems, but I would have been concerned about how heavy the roof was. What's the practical limit on air shock loads? Did they have a positive lock in the up position? I'd hate to get a leak somewhere and have the roof slowly sink while I was asleep.

Why the separate door to the bathroom and no interior access to the bathroom?

What is the custom control panel in English?

Is the outer skin just AL sheets, or is it a honeycomb cored composite? Is thermal expansion an issue? If so, how do you deal with it? I wonder how think the AL would have to be to be reasonable dent resistant. I wonder if Nidacore would have been a better choice.

Did they attempt to get a good perimeter seal in each roof position? If so, how? Are there mosquitoes in Japan?

The stair design looks like it puts a lot of load on that first runner. I wonder how it held up.

Do they have any idea how absolutely cool that thing is?

astn

Observer
I'm just guessing, I have no information other then my own assumptions.

ThomD said:
How did they get away with French Doors? I'd guess they stayed on mostly smooth road, or the would be a risk of the whole thing twisting. That gets back to maybe they just over engineered it all.

I don't think Japan has much in the way of a "off-roading" community, though I could be wrong because some parts of it are pretty rural (and spectacular.) Since they seemed to follow the coast, I would assume they kept to the asphalt (and the truck isn't really built for the off-road, from what I can tell.)

I like the use of air shocks to raise it. I know absolutely nothing about compressed air systems, but I would have been concerned about how heavy the roof was. What's the practical limit on air shock loads? Did they have a positive lock in the up position? I'd hate to get a leak somewhere and have the roof slowly sink while I was asleep.

Pneumatics can be pretty strong. I don't know what they used, but you can lift a dump truck with enough pressure. I think it's another of those "if you can pay for it, they can probably build it."

Regarding positive lock, it appeared to me that when the wall flips up to complete the room that it would support the weight of the roof (either by design or if the pneumatics were to fail, I don't know.)

It's a brilliant design, in my opinion. I'm not sure that it's the way I would go, but it exemplifies out of the box thinking.

Austin

ThomD

Explorer
astn said:
Regarding positive lock, it appeared to me that when the wall flips up to complete the room that it would support the weight of the roof (either by design or if the pneumatics were to fail, I don't know.)

It's a brilliant design, in my opinion. I'm not sure that it's the way I would go, but it exemplifies out of the box thinking.

Austin

Thanks Austin, I had not thought about the font wall flipping into position as a lock, but it makes sense. This has me thinking about all sorts of things you can do with pneumatics.

pattersonimages

Adventurer
and for Canadians

That thing is for sale... I emaiied for more info, but the reply has pretty poor english. But... being over 15 years old, can be legally imported to Canada.. but, as said, I dont know that it would hold up to any bumpy roads. Thise trucks are easy to come by in 4x4.. for the price you could buy a 4x4 version and have a transplant and a parts rig...

dhackney

Expedition Leader
ThomD said:
I'd guess they stayed on mostly smooth road, or there would be a risk of the whole thing twisting.

Japan is one of, if not the most developed country in the world, so the roads are excellent to very good.

In our usual manner of wandering about we did manage to find some unpaved roads that were interesting, if not Patagonia or Peruvian Chicken Bus Road challenging.

ThomD said:
Are there mosquitoes in Japan?

My wife, a true mosquito magnet, reminds me that there were LOTS of mosquitoes in Japan. I didn't have any problems with them, but I usually don't when she's around since they all fly past me to bite her. :)

Japan is a wonderful destination. Highly, highly recommended. Whenever we talk about places we'd go back to, Japan tops the list.

Japan is the most interesting when you get out into the rural areas and the small villages. We were places where I don't think they'd ever seen a non-Japanese before.

The people were uniformly welcoming and fantastic.

And, you can travel there in a non-expensive mode. We didn't spend as much as we thought we would. We were on our motorcycle there, so we had to pay for shelter and meals. We talk a lot about how inexpensive it would be to go back now when our only expenses would be fuel and food we would prepare ourselves.

Again, it is a great destination. Highly recommended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94