Expedition Mitsubishi Challenger

mrbishi

Adventurer
hey guys - it's been a while but I thought I'd add a few more pictures.

Here are some from country around Pindabunna Station in outback Western Australia:

This was setup at camp - usually if we setup a basecamp I'll take out canvas tent along. If it's just myself I'll just throw the swag in the back.

3965268585_d44945ee1e_o.jpg

Awesome remote country out that way - perfect for exploring:

3965531603_aa094a6113_o.jpg

3965240263_d0380471e5_o.jpg

3966227174_5df5d98282_o.jpg

And here's one of me airing up at the roadhouse before the drive home:

3966319532_b404728771_o.jpg

mrbishi

Adventurer
Ok heres a picture of how I have the rear setup now. If you go to this link you can move your mouse over the picture and it has notes of what everything is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbishi/4542738576/

4542738576_14c0a3c9c6_o.jpg

In there is:

- 600w inverter
- amber eFlare EF300
- Primus power light and LED portable light in canvas bag
- winch handle
- 2 x 20lt water jerries
- St John's offroad first aid kit
- 33 x 10.5 spare
- Recovery Gear lives inside the spare rim.
Underneath - Roll of Winch Cable, ARB Winch Extension Strap, 2 x rated bow shackles, tree trunk protector.
Above - Snatch Strap, Equaliser Strap, 2 x rated bow shackles, ARB strap damper, riggers gloves
- The bread tray was a temporary addition to just throw camera bags in etc so they are easy to grab driving around.

It's pretty close to ideal now. The only thing I want to do is build a false carpeted floor over the spare and have a hatch in it to access the recov gear.

mud-rock

Quick question on how your rear floor slides out. I apologize if I missed how you built it, I didn't see a breakdown of how it was done. If you don't mind, and you have the time could you e-mail or pm me with how it was built. You have one of the best thought out builds I've seen, Great job!

Last edited:

mrbishi

Adventurer
Wow has it been a couple of years since I last posted here?!

I'll get some photos up but a few things that have changed:

* Smaller Tires - I'm now running 16" black steel rims at the standard Challenger offset. On these I have some 265/75 Kuhmo KL71s. I've found them to be a great tire and the advantage of this package now is the handling on the road is miles better as well as the fuel economy. That being said they still kick *** offroad! I'm still running the body lift and this has allowed my front torsions to remain at their stock position (rather than cranked) to allowed for balance up and down movement of the suspension.

kumho-road-venture-mt-kl71.jpg

* AVM Super freewheeling manual hubs - I like to know that I'm 100% locked in or out of 4wd plus less wear on the front drivetrain.

AVM-hub_001.jpg

* Front sway bar is back on - I find the places I travel to these days don't require extreme amounts of articulation and I'd rather have the added comfort and safety of the swaybar when the truck is loaded.

* Side steps are back on - again I don't really wheel many areas where they are likely to get damaged and my girlfriend (short) appreciates them getting in and out of the truck :D

* New ARB 47lt Fridge - I finally retired my old Engel and Two Zone. It served me well but the new ARB fridge IMO is just miles ahead in design compared to the others now days.

* The interior/storage has evolved a bit as I've worked things out every trip - it's pretty much close to perfect now!

shov3lbum

Adventurer
Let me say, here in America the Montero "Sport" has not faired so well and I was never a fan of it....with that said, yours looks awesome and I only wish more here in the states had done to theirs what you did to yours...looks great!

Oh, we are here indeed, just in slightly smaller numbers than what you'll find in Australia! http://msport97.proboards.com/index.cgi our main site is down, but these are the forums where the montero sports get together :rally_guys::Mechanic::friday:

NicoFoard

Awesome truck mate, would love to what nudge bar you have and how you fitted the front recovery points? Cant seem to find anything to suit mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online