Land Cruiser Technical in Somalia

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
The BBC ran this photo of a chopped LC with armament running around Mogadishu:

_41793482_technical203iap.jpg

The ubiquitous combination of a (usually) Toyota pickup and .50 caliber BMG (or eastern bloc facsimile) is known as a "technical," apparently because aid organizations originally hired warlords with the setups for protection. Not knowing how to list the expense in their budgets, they referred to it as "technical assistance" and the name stuck.

You'd never have trouble in city traffic with one of these . . .

HongerVenture

Adventurer
I don't know how many times me and my shooting buddies have talked about rigging up gun stands on my truck for our SKS's. The thing that always stops us is the fact that we have no place to safely drive the truck and plink simultaneously... well, that and our wives. ;)

Okay, I probably just showed a fair amount of redneck tendency there didn't I? But c'mon, how many of you would turn down the opportunity to shoot at plinking targets from the back of a moving pick-up truck?

:eek:

asteffes

Explorer
Some friends (I wasn't involved!) were borrowing another friend's ranchland awhile back. They land owner's only stipulation was that they had to "get rid of the squirrel problem" that had encroached on his cattles' 6000 acre grazing area. I'll let your imaginations take over now.

brittan

Adventurer
Toyota must be proud of this endorsement?
A few years back I was at Rio Solado shooting range in E Mesa when a guy in an old Jeep pulls up to the firing line and starts dropping 50BMG rounds into the hill side from the back of the Jeep. He was aiming for a large rock at the 1/4 mile mark...what a sight. It gave me a new respect for what they guys went through in WW2. Damn that thing was loud.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles