Cooking with tin foil

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Take a whole fish (a sea fish, not that other inland fake stuff) gut it and slit open. Rub the inside with coarse salt and leave for a while. Rinse. Dash of butter. Perhaps some onion and tomato if it takes your fancy. Wrap in foil. Nuke on the fire for a while. Break open, squeeze of lemon, and enjoy. :drool:

Photog

Explorer
I just did a little research on "Tin Foil". It was used back when aluminum was very expensive (until the early 1900's). It has not been seen since. My great grandfather said his parents used to use tin foil; but they quit making it, before he was an adult.

I like the chicken and mushroom idea. And the brown'in bag is another excellent idea. It looks like you could put together an entire dinner, cooked this way, and never need to fire up the stove. Hmmm. I will have to try this at home a few times.:eatchicke

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I make this dish at home and on the trail.
Baked fish Tacos;
Snapper filet's with the little bones removed, I use needle nose pliers.
Cilantro
Chili Powder
Lime
S&P
Peanut oil

Lightly coat the foil with oil, lay out the filet's on the foil and squeeze the lime over them. Sprinkle with Chili Powder, S&P to taste. add a few sprigs of Cilantro. Stack two filet's arranged narrow end to thick end to even out the cooking time. Seal up the foil and throw it on the grill. When the pouch swells up flip it over and cook for another 5 minutes.

Serve with

Fresh salsa;
Tomatoes
jalapeños
lime
cilantro
onion
S&P

Core and seed tomatoes, dice fine 1/8"
Fine dice the onion
Core and seed the Peppers and mince.
Mince cilantro
Combine vegetables with S&P and a light squeeze of lime S&P to taste.

Make up tacos in soft flour shells with avocado and sour cream.

mrbishi

Adventurer
Rusty_Tlc that has my mouth watering!!

All you guys suggestions are great. I've just started making breakfast burritos when we camp and everyone else usually wants part of the action once they see what I'm up to :)

Last night in foil I did 2 fillets of fish, salt, pepper, lemon juice, bit of soy sauce, then sliced sweet potato, red onion, mushrooms and beans. Put the onion and potato under the fillets and the beans and mushrooms on top seal up and cook for around 15min until the fillets are white and flakey.

mrbishi said:
Rusty_Tlc that has my mouth watering!!

All you guys suggestions are great. I've just started making breakfast burritos when we camp and everyone else usually wants part of the action once they see what I'm up to :)

Last night in foil I did 2 fillets of fish, salt, pepper, lemon juice, bit of soy sauce, then sliced sweet potato, red onion, mushrooms and beans. Put the onion and potato under the fillets and the beans and mushrooms on top seal up and cook for around 15min until the fillets are white and flakey.

How'd you cook them? Coals or oven?

mrbishi

Adventurer
I did that particular lot in the oven at home.

But I've done it in coals and in a camp oven before. With the coals it'll take less time.

I forgot to mention, I am wanting to learn this stuff for use on motorbike trips.... particularly the Trans America Trail next summer.

Foil is cheaper and lighter than pots and pans. but I still like good food!

lowenbrau

Explorer
rusty_tlc said:
I guess it would be more like bread pudding, which is okay.

We did a version called French Toast casserole in dutch ovens last year for River Shiver but it'd work well on the fire in foil or pie plates, I'll bet. Basically just all the fixins for french toast shredded up, mixed up and put in a casserole. Sprinkle some cinnamon or nutmeg on top and cook it fifteen minutes till its hot through. Uncover and let the top crisp up a bit then serve with maple syrup.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
Originally posted by Spikepretorius:
gemsquash

Okay that is just evil! I've got the butter, herbs, and tin foil, but alas no gemsquash.

Does ANYONE know ANYWHERE here in the U.S. to get gemsquash?

bigredpigdriver

Adventurer
lowenbrau said:
We did a version called French Toast casserole in dutch ovens last year for River Shiver but it'd work well on the fire in foil or pie plates, I'll bet. Basically just all the fixins for french toast shredded up, mixed up and put in a casserole. Sprinkle some cinnamon or nutmeg on top and cook it fifteen minutes till its hot through. Uncover and let the top crisp up a bit then serve with maple syrup.
i have done this in a foil bag it come out almost like bread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior