Cooking with tin foil

robertdarin

Adventurer
cooking in foil is a good idea and one that i use quite often. Some precausion should be used though. Be careful not to merinade in a strong acid (lemon juice/ vinager) as the acid will break down the aluminum. this will result in a metalic taste and is not verry good for you.:( however, i like the classic shepherds pie, it is hearty and tasty after a long hot day. And it goes well with a nice brew.:)

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I stopped using "foil packs" and do the same recipes in pie tins or small disposable bread pans. I still cover with foil but the heavier tins take much more abuse before they leak. I still put them right on the coals:chowtime:

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Couple simple meals on the fire I've done in the past with the Scouts.

You need 2 things. A Good Wooden Axe Handle and a 1 Gallon Plastic Ziplock Bag.

Mix Bisquick Mix and Water in Plastic bad to make a heavy dough. Wrap Dough around butt of Axe Handle, Slowly cook Dough over fire/coals, turning frequently and not catching the axe on fire. (preferable to keep sheath on axe head to prevent injury)
Toast to light to medium golden brown and peel off handle.

Second is take 2 large pieces of Aluminum foil, toss in a slice of Raw onion about 1/4" thick, then toss a 1/4 lb hamburger patty on top of that, salt and pepper the hamburger to taste, then add one more slice of onion 1/4" thick, some potatoes sliced 1/4" thick, some baby carrots, some corn, add a little water (about 1/4 cup) seal the whole thing in the aluminum foil, bury in hot coals for about 30-40 minutes, let cool off, and enjoy.

mudbutt

Explorer
You need 2 things. A Good Wooden Axe Handle and a 1 Gallon Plastic Ziplock Bag.

Mix Bisquick Mix and Water in Plastic bad to make a heavy dough. Wrap Dough around butt of Axe Handle, Slowly cook Dough over fire/coals, turning frequently and not catching the axe on fire. (preferable to keep sheath on axe head to prevent injury)
Toast to light to medium golden brown and peel off handle.

The recipe I tried was similar. Biscuits from a can and a 3/8" wooden dowel. The idea was to roll the dough into a rope, wrap around the dowel then toast them nice and brown. Then cover with butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on them for a yummy desert.

Mine failed as the fire was too hot. I'll try it again some time and pay more attention..... Sounds tasty...

chet

island Explorer
A big Idaho would be 30-45 minutes usually. Unless its buried in the coals then it should be faster.

We do fresh salmon on the beach in tin foil. clean and cut the head off and slice some lemons, S&P and some ranch dressing inside and lay some lemons on the outisde as well. double wrap in foil and place in fire or on grille. mmmmmmm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior