Horizon Trailer COPYCAT

Dirtytires

Explorer
Capitalism is a ***** at times. As mentioned above the auto industry does this all the time,every day.
Mercedes is nothing but a souped up Chrylser. AT is the cadillac of trailers. So some comp is good for them.
I woudn't buy from either one of them , but that is just me.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I love the fact that a month ago Bob had just 3 posts on ExPo dating from '08, and now this thing is taking off...
maidenvoyageset017.jpg

:victory:
Go, Bob, Go... Indeed.

I met Bob and saw this new trailer design at Expoberfest in Julian. From a design, quality, and integrated systems perspective it was VERY impressive indeed!

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I met Bob and saw this new trailer design at Expoberfest in Julian. From a design, quality, and integrated systems perspective it was VERY impressive indeed!

That whole package is just doing it for me...from the front to the rear...nice going Bob!

bob

Adventurer
You guys are making me ill. It is just a darned trailer. I truly apppreciate all the positive comments. I have no axe to grind with anyone. I just want to build trailers, have a good time and maybe run into some of the kind people that have enjoyed my future product.

I had hoped this thread would die, but I hope after some have read it, they understand that I did not copy the trailer in question. There is not one thing about my trailer the same as the AT, other than the coupler. Which I purchased for AT and told them I was building a trailer like theirs. I could give specifics, but will say that measurements are not close, door system was not close, frame system was not close, solar system was not close, water system was not close, axle system was not close. It did resemble the AT, because that is what the customer asked for. I got excited about building them, but soon realized it was just not fun to do. Not really very fun to use, and even though I felt my prices were far more competitive, still over priced for what it actually was. They are a tremendous amount of work when you are fabricating every single one. Welding up each frame, doing the individual wiring schemes for custom trailers. I built quite a few, changed my design to a different apporach and still did not enjoy the craft.

The new trailer is fun, it requires far more planning, design and initial fabrication. But the real benefit of it is the fact that my wife loves it. Hated the box trailers, the kitchen, the tent, the ladder and that gawd awful mattress. I would almost have to twist her arm to go anywhere in it. And normally would not go. Makes a vacation plan very tough.

She has been out 3 times in the new one, nearly as many as the other in 3 years of service. And the loves to go in this one. Always makes the remark she feels sorry for the others. Spoiled yes, but now happy and that makes me happy. I truly hope this thread can be closed. I want to wish Martyn and Mario all the success they can have. This is a situation in the past, and I would like to see it stay there for all involved.

Last edited:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I want to wish Martyn and Mario all the success they can have. This is a situation in the past, and I would like to see it stay there for all involved.

Thank you for the well wishes Bob. We wish you success with your new trailer.

I had hoped this thread would die,

The thread was dormant for 3 years until you revived it with your post #94. I'm just saying...

Dirtytires

Explorer
I like the trailer. Would you be able to pull such a trailer with my Tacoma? Or woudl it need to be a full size SUV or Truck?

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I like the trailer. Would you be able to pull such a trailer with my Tacoma? Or woudl it need to be a full size SUV or Truck?

Piece-a-cake. I tow my 4000lb plus Kimberley Karavan with my 4Runner and it works great. These trailers are a fraction of that weight so the Tacoma probably would forget it was back there.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Mine is a 2004 4Runner Sport with the V8.

I wish these questions (that I can't resist answering) were in a different thread. This thread needs to just go to sleep and drift off in oblivion. :elkgrin:

78Bronco

Explorer
When a manufacturer wants to see what the competition is doing they either rent, purchase or use other tactics to gain the information required to get the upper hand. Perhaps Bob went there with the intention of buying one but once he saw what was involved said to himself that he is paying too much and could not relate the price of the product with cost.

I do this all the time because I come from a mfg background. "You want how much for that piece of steel with four holes drilled in it to mount a winch?" Steel is $0.61/lb + 1hr @ $60/hr to make one. Too much, I make for myself instead. Often I just don't have the time so I will ask them to justify the price to me or I will simply buy one.

If Bob has not infringed on any patent or copyright or trademark protected by law than AT only has themselves to blame for granting someone full access to their production line without legal protection to prevent such an occurence from happenning. It is called a non-disclosure/non-compete agreement. Coca-Cola has done this and they have protected their product. AT must take responsibility for their choices to grant full access to the inner workings of the company without any protection for their company. This is why nice guys finish last. If I had a un-released product update to the suspension system for the trailer I wouldn't be showing it off to every Tom ******** & Harry without ensuring I have the legal agreement of those parties prior that they are bound to keep what they saw priveldged information.

In business you have no friends.

Patman

Explorer
In business you have no friends.

SAD SAD SAD

I'm not referring to anyone specific, just the comment, which is sadly SOP for today's average businesses.

There is no reason, other than profit, why you can't treat other businesses in the same manor as you wish to be treated, personally or in business.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz