Locked Hitch Pin - Need Removal

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ok, so the PO of our Sportsmobile had a locking hitch pin in the 2" receiver... and he gave me the keys, but they seem to be the wrong set of keys for it.

What's the recommended method for removing such item?

I mean, if i use a torch it's gonna flame holes through other things... maybe a plasma cutter?..n but that could cause havoc too blowing holes through stuff. Maybe a sawzall?

Anyone ever lose their key and had to remove a hitch pin? :D This could potentially suck.

Oh yeah, i cant read the thing.. so no dice contacting the manufacturer for another set of keys.

computeruser

Explorer
13c24b492b.jpg

With a thin .040" wheel?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
How about freezing it with freon or liquid Nitro and then hitting it with a hammer?

Bolt Cutters?

One of those wire saws, although meant for wood?

How about a jewlers torch - easier to control in a tight space.

You could use a ARC stick welder and just burn through it on a high setting. Dont forget the spatter blanket and plenty of personal covering!

Brian

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
The die grinder might be my best bet.

I dont have anything to freeze it with lol

Nor do i have big enough bolt cutters or a jewelry torch.

And im trying to stay away with anything with a flame LOL!

Keep the ideas coming. This is fun! :victory:

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Mongo here. I let one get a little too much moisture in the keyhole with out regular cleaning. Key wouldn't turn. Big hammer and a piece of metal to put against the lock portion. Wham! Twice and it popped off.
BTW don't let the criminal element read this. Shhh!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Mc Taco said:
Mongo here. I let one get a little too much moisture in the keyhole with out regular cleaning. Key wouldn't turn. Big hammer and a piece of metal to put against the lock portion. Wham! Twice and it popped off.
BTW don't let the criminal element read this. Shhh!

Perfect!! Im a big guy.. i'll give it whack!:elkgrin:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:archaeolo SOCALF, I have "MASTER" locks all over my stuff and they have a VERY TIGHT CUT KEY, BUT

SOCALFJ said:
Ok, so the PO of our Sportsmobile had a locking hitch pin in the 2" receiver... and he gave me the keys, but they seem to be the wrong set of keys for it.

What's the recommended method for removing such item?

I mean, if i use a torch it's gonna flame holes through other things... maybe a plasma cutter?..n but that could cause havoc too blowing holes through stuff. Maybe a sawzall?

Anyone ever lose their key and had to remove a hitch pin? :D This could potentially suck.

Oh yeah, i cant read the thing.. so no dice contacting the manufacturer for another set of keys.

Their UNLOCK direction, is CLOCKWISE, not counterclockwise--check it out and Fiddle a little, with the key insertion !!

GOOD LUCK--JIMBO

MB309basket

Adventurer
Uh, yeah, don't force it, just get a bigger hammer.

I have had good success beating them apart. Failing that, a good lock shop will have a ring of keys cut that you can try and try and one will likely open it.

If it gets to be too big a deal, PM me and I will take the SMB off your hands.

vengeful

Explorer
I simply used a 3lb sledge and beat the sucker apart when the locking mechanism on mine siezed up.:victory:

Sloan

Explorer
I had a similar situation and went to my local lock smith. He had it off in about 2 minutes and I think it costs around $10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior