Installing LET light strip in RTT

gpwpat

Adventurer
Installing LED light strip in RTT

Ok so I cam across a LED light strip at Ikeahttp://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50119407. I studied the quality and after determining that they probably would be sturdy enough to ride inside a RTT I purchased a set. First delema, which was not much at all was to decide which to buy. White or multi-color including white. Multi color it is. my son thought that would be cool as did I and they were both the same price. My wife on the other hand could care less. First order of buisness is to open the package.

Inside you will find 4 10" long strips. these can be plugged in together to make one long strip or you can un them individually. everything in the kit is plug and play. To install to the tent it comes with double sided tape or clips. First I thought I would use the clips with screws. but I then decided to use industrial strength double sided tape. this is Black. not the crappy white doublesided tape. I got it at the hobby shop. They call it servo tape there.

I ran the wire along the pole and attached the wire with nylon ties. Since the pictures were taken, I have put wire loom around the wire to protect it from abrasions. Here is where the wires plug in. I took it apart and screwed the box to the RTT floor and then screwed it back together.

Next I installed the switch. After cutting off the 120V ac to 12v DC transformer I took the switch apart and re routed the wires to exit the same side of the switch. I then servo taped the switch to the edge of the RTT. It sits between the tent side and the matress.

today all these wires are anchored with wire anchors to keep things tight and from catching on something. all this wire from the switch to the ridge pole is tucked in the corner and hidden by the matress. The 12v lead has a plug installed on it and pokes out the flap of canvas at the hinge to plug into a power source. In my case it is a 12v alarm battery that I use to run my tent heater fan. Well that is the install, not much to it. The light strips are incased in polycarbinate and are small enough they should be fine, especially in the padded envirment of the RTT.

Now do they work. You bet.

Now about the Multi color feature. :victory:

So cool. on my power lead I have a switch. the lights will stay on what ever feature or color you last had them on. so I can either use the switch in the tent to turn on/off cycle color. or just hit my kill swich on the outside. The features are the lights will stay on any of the color or flash like a disco or cycle through slowly like a lounge setting.

the colors really bring out a mood when sitting next to your tent listening to Bob Marley while sipping a Margarita.

And the last Question. Is there enough light to read by? You Bet. plenty and easy on the eyes.

Last edited:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Fantastic work! Getting good light in the Eezi-Awn is a serious after-market deficiency (who makes a nice 12-volt permanent light for RTTs?). I'm glad you found something that works, looks nice, and (hell!) didn't cost much.

Paul R

Adventurer
That looks great! I put little battery LED lights in my RTT but something like this looks like a great permanent option.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Oh yeah... That looks great!

I mentioned it to the wife after reading your first post last night, and within the hour she was telling me that they had them in stock at our local store, and that we should make a trip this weekend....LOL

Thanks for the pics!

~James

gpwpat

Adventurer
I don't know if Mark needs mood lighting. After reading about what happens in his tent. If he had mood lighting he might tip his rig over.

mrbishi

Adventurer
Wow that's cool - just found them online over here! gonna go get some for the inside of the Challenger :D having 4 strips is pretty handy being able to evenly spread light inside from the tailgate to the front. Will be funny the first time I rock up at camp and turn on the color cycling mode :D

Last edited:

gpwpat

Adventurer
The kit as it comes is 120V then it goes to a 120Vac to 12Vdc converter. cut that off and they are 12DC only.

I have them as one strip 40" long down the center ridge pole. The light is very even. when testing I found I did not need to break them up to light up the whole tent. This made my install even easier.

articulate

Expedition Leader
My favorite color is a toss up between purple and red. Very . . . swinger.

Now that I'm a family man, white does the job just fine. And is remarkably symbolic of vanilla.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I like the fact that you could use white light for getting ready for bed or reading. Then switch it to Red before lights out. If you had to get up and look for anything the red light would not impact your nightvision as much.

Whoknows

Observer
Great work! I've been wanting to do this type of mod for some time and I think you've got it figured out.
Does the multi-color option mean that each of the four strips are a different color, or are individual diodes different along each strip?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles