Installing LET light strip in RTT

gpwpat

Adventurer
no the strips all light the same color. no matter how you wire them. That is controled by the button.

and be sure to note. there are 2 products at Ikea. one is 7 color and one is just white. The just white was not cheaper or any brighter. So I figued the other 6 colors are just a bonus. I think the primary usage will be white.

Echo_29

Observer
So my wife had some things to return to Ikea today and she was going to pick this light up but unfortunately they were all out of the multi-color and she couldn't bring herself to buy the plain vanilla...

Whoknows

Observer
great mod

Thanks again for this write-up. I installed mine this weekend. For those with Overland tents like mine, you can make it work with the fabric insulator that surrounds the support poles. I decided to rivet the clips that come with this light kit to the fabric. Works great so far.

Whoknows

Observer
dampness

ColinTheCop said:
That's a good mod, I wonder how'll they stand up to dampness/wet so they can be fitted in the back of my rear bed.

Not sure how they'd do. The LEDs are encased so they seem okay, but the connectors between them would easily allow water in and could arc to any nearby metal. Some ingenuity (plumbers Goop) with the connectors on the LED light "bars" might keep them water tight. I dunno.

Also, the main "box" to which the connectors then converge

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showphoto.php?photo=53637

doesn't appear water resistant either. You might be able to put that box into a waterproof type box like this:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10076&d=1187545969

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Last edited:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
For that price and the fact that they run of 110V, you would be better off getting something that runs of 12v.

There is a forum member who sells LED strips. Much cheaper and better for your install. Watertight, held on by adhesive, several members report running these and no problems. 12v is easier to plumb in (no need for an inverter)

-Sam

trump

Adventurist
For that price and the fact that they run of 110V, you would be better off getting something that runs of 12v.

There is a forum member who sells LED strips. Much cheaper and better for your install. Watertight, held on by adhesive, several members report running these and no problems. 12v is easier to plumb in (no need for an inverter)

-Sam

These LED strips do run off 12v.

taco2go

Explorer
Right on. It's my favorite mod on the RTT - over 2 years ago, and it's been working great.
Just cut off the 12v to 110v transformer and flip the switch wires to the same side - just as he describes on the first page of this thread - and your'e done. I plug it into 12v outlet in the trailer's nose box.
The Kids LOVE it.

Last edited:

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Gonna wake this thread up again. I stopped by Ikea today to return some picture frames and had to go check out the lighting section. They have made slight changes to the LED strips and also have a different set with four round LED lights. Both come with a much better switch design. Instead of pressing and holding down the button and waiting for different amount of "beeps" to occur there are now three buttons and a rheostat. One button is to select to cycle the colors without fade, another button is for a fade from one color to another and the last button is to turn the unit off. If you turn the rheostat it turns the unit on and fades from one color to the next.

IIRC the original price was $50. That is a lot for some LED strips. Not too much better but now they cost $40 and $30 for the round set. I still haven't figured out how to wire anything in the back of my truck.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/
dioder--piece-light-strip-set__0118364_PE273978_S4.JPG

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00119424/
dioder-multipurpose-lighting__70153_PE185535_S4.jpg

sethro80

Adventurer
will this work with 12 volt??
Thanks
Sethro

Gonna wake this thread up again. I stopped by Ikea today to return some picture frames and had to go check out the lighting section. They have made slight changes to the LED strips and also have a different set with four round LED lights. Both come with a much better switch design. Instead of pressing and holding down the button and waiting for different amount of "beeps" to occur there are now three buttons and a rheostat. One button is to select to cycle the colors without fade, another button is for a fade from one color to another and the last button is to turn the unit off. If you turn the rheostat it turns the unit on and fades from one color to the next.

IIRC the original price was $50. That is a lot for some LED strips. Not too much better but now they cost $40 and $30 for the round set. I still haven't figured out how to wire anything in the back of my truck.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/
View attachment 149761

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00119424/
View attachment 149762

shfd739

Observer
Thanks
Sethro

I dont think it will without an inverter. I believe all of their stuff is 120volt. I have some of the white, strip fixtures under kitchen cabinets and they work great. Lots of light and cheaper than anything else I could find.

syncrodoka

Adventurer
Look at the inverter, they often step 120AC down to 12vDC.
Just leave the inverter out.

Last edited:

lbrito

Broverland Expert
I run the exact light pictured, the strips with the color changing wheel. I can confirm that they run on 12V DC. If you look at them in store, you can read it directly on the product that it is 120V AC in and 12V DC out. You simply cut out the transformer section and wire to your battery from there. You don't even have to cut, you can open the transformer and disconnect the 2 wires from the 12V DC output and save the transformer for another application if needed.

The light is plenty bright, well suited for reading in the white setting, and it is a true white. But again, you can select pretty much any color, so you can go warmer yellow, cool blue, red, and any color in between.

I definitely recommend them!

Thanks
Sethro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles