All new FJ owners...take a look at your tires...

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
"This is not a tire manufacturer recall, but a special servicing campaign by Toyota."

I just love marketing and PR speak!;)

brittan

Adventurer
I think they learned from Ford's experience with the Exploder...er Explorer. There is a big difference in attitudes when problems come up...that's why there isn't a Ford in my stable. Toyota makes it a customer service opportunity, even though it could be a recall. Ford denies there is a problem and sues Firestone, if I remember correctly. Firestone then shows how Ford's manufacturing processes and design led to the problems. All this plays out in the media. Ford ends up with a black eye. Did any body else see it that way?

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
From what I read in that release, it wasn't a possible tire manufacture problem, but a possible mounting problem. I can imagine, for example, that one of the machines used to mount tires at the factory (or subcontractor) was out of adjustment, or had some damaged part. This might have cut the sidewall or bead of some of the tires.

Once Toyota became aware of such a problem (whether from customer complaints, or during equipment maintenance), they would have traced the problem both back to the offending machine(s), and forward to cars that might have been produced during the offending period and assembly line. The trick is to catch all the potential problems, while minimizing damage to Toyota's reputation, and inconvenice to customers and dealers.

paulj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles