canter rims

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As some may be aware from John's post a few weeks ago, ATW now offer an alloy rim for Fuso and Isuzu trucks.
These rims are DOT approved to 3150KG, making them legal for the fully rated GVM of these trucks.

I did a deal with ATW to swap my steel singles for these new alloys, primarily so that I could save a bit of weight in my build. :wings:
My Toyo M608Z tyres on these alloy rims weigh in at just under 66KG, which is 12KG less than on the ATW steel single rims I had previously.

Below are a couple of pics of my new rims.

Alloy_Rims_1.JPG Alloy_Rims_2.JPG

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Yep, it is pretty much a certainty that I will go close to the 6 tonne weight capacity of my truck when I am done, but I am not too fussed about that.

Funny story about camper weights...
When I was at ATW I met another guy getting the same alloys. He had derated his truck so that his former partner could drive it and to lower the rego and insurance costs. When I asked about the weight of his camper, he told me that it was a bit heavier than it should be. He eventually he admitted that it was pushing 5500KG, so I hope he never encounters the RTA with mobile scales on the side of the road, as there are big fines for going over your GVM.

I really like Alan's rims, but I was not willing to take the risk of being above their capacity. When I found out that ATW was going to have an alloy single wheel option I decided to go that way.

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
There are 17.5 alloys available with the correct DOT weight rating for a lot of our trucks (2300KG/wheel) - http://www.tradetrucks.com.au/detai...2.25mm-alloy-wheel-polished-both-sides/212780 Alcoa also make a similar wheel.

These wheels with Kumho KRD02 M+S tyres rated at 2240KG each are ~48KG/wheel, a saving of 150KG over 5 x 19.5" steel ATW wheels

The offset is 30mm off front->back but for us the weight saving was the main driver of choosing these wheels and in reality how often when you want the wheels to be the same track are you actually driving in a dead straight line where 30mm would make a difference?

That said seeing your and Maninga's trucks with 19.5s did tempt me... its amazing how much taller the ~900mm M608Zs look compared to our 849mm KRD02s.

Maninga

Adventurer
That said seeing your and Maninga's trucks with 19.5s did tempt me... its amazing how much taller the ~900mm M608Zs look compared to our 849mm KRD02s.

I think a lot of the difference was relative/visual between our trucks. My wheels are a little bigger, but the parabolics give it another 2" of lift and it really looks like a box truck. Yours was a bit more built up. Be really curious to park them next to each other, when're you heading down to Tassy? Be sure to pass thru

It'd be nice to cut down the weight a bit, with the 6 of them it's ~450kg (~1000lb) just in wheels and tyres. Be curious to know what ATW priced tradeover at. Move the truck this weekend, looking to put it over a weighbridge while I'm at it.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
It'd be nice to cut down the weight a bit, with the 6 of them it's ~450kg (~1000lb) just in wheels and tyres.

Problem is, you cannot drive the truck without wheels and tyres.
As far as I remember, the ATW single wheel conversion (using 5 x 19.5" wheels/tyres to replace 7 OEM wheels/tyres) adds about 30KG to the total weight. Add another 80KG for a second spare and you are about 110KG heavier than a standard dually truck.
Using ATW's alloys you reduce that by about 70KG, making it about 40KG heavier than a standard dually truck, which is reasonable, given you have 2 spares, not 1.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Alan,
Hope you don't mind me updating about my tyres on this thread as it contains a lot of tyre info already.

Just did the 2nd tyre rotate on my Canter. We now have done 12121klm by GPS reading. We are rotating 6 tyres so 2 have 12121klm the other 4 only have 6000klm.
New tread depth is 14.5mm, the 2 at 12000 are at 11.5 mm the other 4 are 13mm.
View attachment 172575 This is at 12000klm some cuts and a little bit of chipping, these ran last on the rear so cuts are to be expected as we run a lot of dirt road.

Dan.

Update on my tyres. We have about 45,000 Klms on them now and are changing them out getting ready for our trip to the Cape. There looks to be at least 10,000 Klms left in them.

DSCF3196a.jpg DSCF3197a.jpg

Dan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94