Looking for the right Canoe

JeepinBear

Explorer
So, what is the right canoe? I have no clue.

But, I can share some information on how i will use it:

• I'm ~240lbs and plan on using the canoe with my wife and family.
  • Primarily lakes and rivers, MIGHT take it to the coast sometime and be in some coastal waters.
  • No real whitewater, but could be thin water; mostly used for touring.
  • Most likely will do some canoe "camping" which means we will be hauling gear.
  • I'm not really kown for packing "light and fast".
  • I really like the Kevlar or graphite models.
  • Willing to pay for quality boat.
So far, I like the Wenonah Champlain or Itasca models.
http://www.wenonah.com/products/template/product_display.php?NID=35&SID=278c6e17fbb5e90408c31572a840fcdc

Anyone have any ideas? I did check out this thread as well, but thought I would see if there was information that was more "fresh".
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
Years ago I had a Wenonah kevlar canoe, a Jensen 18

http://www.wenonahracing.com/marathon/Models/18_Jensen.html

It was a nice boat, light, fast, easy paddling even for one person. Pretty too in that golden kevlar color. But much better on flat water than coastal or shallow water (i.e. with rocks).

It's hard to say just from the pictures why the Champlain 18 would be better in waves. Have you had a chance to paddle one of these boats? $2000+ is a lot to spend on boat without a test drive.

The lighter weight is worth the cost if you are going to be loading it on the car by yourself, or carrying it much of a distance. But for durability, especially in shallow water (rivers at low flow), I'd lean more toward one of their poly boats like the Northfork.

p.s. the dimensions give some idea of why the Champlain might be better in rougher water - it is wider (3"), and deeper, especially in the bow (5"). The Itasca has the tumblehome in the rear that you expect to see on racing boats, but has flare in the front to handle waves. That's an indication that this company is willing to mix and match features to fit a desired performance specification, even it yields a boat that looks a bit unusual.

Last edited:

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
toyrunner95 said:
honestly i would buy one that floats.

... and used, and cheap, from your local newspaper or craigslist.

Canoes and kayaks are like four wheel drive expedition vehicles: the internet always suggests you get something way more expensive than you really need. :)

Don't skimp on the PFD though.

Cheers,
Graham

paulj

Expedition Leader
What's the nearest Wenonah dealer? Boise? Do they carry, or even recommend one of these boats? What lakes are you thinking of paddling? I wouldn't recommend one of these 18'+ boats for a river, not even the gentler parts of the Salmon.

As a first boat, buying used is a good idea. Like knifes, you are likely to go through several before finding one that fits your needs. A canoe isn't a one-fits-every-situation item. If buying new, I don't think you should go above $1000 for starter.

How do you intend to carry the boat? On the Jeep, or the RV? On the Jeep cross bar spacing may be limited, a point against a long boat. On the RV, I'd worry about dropping the canoe while loading/unloading.

762X39

Explorer
I don't recommend a kevlar canoe for your purposes. Probably one fabricated from Royalex will be better. Kevlar is light but easily damaged, Royalex is nearly indestructable. I held off on having a canoe built for me for 25 years while I tried everything out there.I would suggest a Mad River Canoe in a 16' length but really, you have got to try a bunch of them out before deciding.Have a bit of fun field testing different canoes befroe you pull the trigger on a purchase.

JeepinBear

Explorer
paulj said:
What's the nearest Wenonah dealer? Boise? Do they carry, or even recommend one of these boats?

I've emailed the 3 closest dealers (Bozeman, SLC, and Boise...in that order) to ask them some questions and see if we can "test drive".

After reading everyone's replies on this forum, we are leaning towards Royalex now.

Thanks for all the great advice. Keep it coming!!

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
Since you are a big guy, and want to take family (how many kids?) and gear, you probably should aim for a 17' boat, something like the Mad River Horizon 17. They describe it as a 'Royalex performance hull'. What I think that means is that they tried to made the bow and stern as sharp as Royalex will allow. It also has less rocker (bottom curvature) than their other boats, though it is more than is typical in the Wenonah canoes.

Narrow ends and a low rocker makes a boat that tracks well (paddles straight) but is harder to turn. For a contrast look at some of Mad River's whitewater boats. On a river you want a boat that turns easily so you can dodge rocks. On a lake you usually want something that travels straight so you don't have to put a lot of effort into steering. It is also easier to paddle when the wind is blowing.

In Idaho you probably see a lot of river dories or drift boats. They have a flat bottom (side to side) but extreme rocker.

paulj

Expedition Leader
Here are few thoughts on construction.

Fiberglass inbeds glass fibers in a plastic like polyester or epoxy. The cheapest and heaviest construction uses chopped glass strands. A more expensive form, requiring more hand work, uses woven fiber glass fabric. Kevlar uses the same idea, but involves a more expensive, but stronger, kevlar fabric. Carbon fiber is similar. Better, lighter, stronger construction uses more skilled labor.

To combine stiffness with light weight, companies like Wenonah, puts a layer of foam between layers of kevlar and epoxy. On their lightest racing constructions you can see the outline of that foam as a diamond pattern on the bottom of the boat. You might also see foam 'ribs' extending up the sides.

Royalex sandwiches a layer of foam between ABS plastic skins. I believe this material comes from the factory as a thin sandwich, when expands under heat when molded into the canoe shape. This produces a very tough and relatively lightweight object. But it can't be formed into as sharp edge as fiberglass and kevlar can. A Royalex boat comes full formed out of the mold - excess plastic just needs to be trimmed off, and wood, vinyl and metal trim screwed on.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I own thirteen canoes including an 18' Jensen, 17' Old Town Tripper and 16' Blue Hole Starburst, all of which fall generally into the category you describe, but my favorite boat for the conditions you describe is an 18.5' Jensen design, the Whitewater III built by Mohawk canoes in fiberglass in the late 70's. Wenonah built very similar designs in the Whitwater II High Side and the Whitewater X which I believed was renamed the Odyssey. None of these are built anymore but they are available on the used market. It can carry tons of gear and is deep enough to handle waves in coastal waters and up to at least class II rivers. It was designed as a downriver racing boat.
I bought mine 20 yrs ago for $50 and despite the fact that it is very inexpensive fiberglass layup it is still going fine and one of my most favorite boats. The fact that I am still paddling it, especially since it's early life was as a serious downriver racing boat is a testimony to the fact that Royalex is overblown as whitwater material. The boat does have some patches but these were put on it long before I bought the boat and they are still holding up well. It does not turn well at all so it is not appropriate for technical waters but it is very fast.

I second the opinion that you should buy used and cheap since your tastes in canoes will change as your skills improve. Just stay away from Coleman's despite the fact that the most famous canoeist the US has ever produced, Jon Lugbill, once was their spokesperson.

Last edited:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Personally Bell canoes are my favorite. I have been in the paddlesports industry for 17 years now. I have worked in manufacturing, as a rep, I owned a retail store for 8 years and currently own a canoe rental shop. I have owned just about every major brand of canoe on the market and now I own bell canoes. The reason for this is becasue the designer David Yost has an amazing insight to shape. His boats are really well balanced as far as how they handle a variety of water and wind conditions. His designs do exceptionaly well in wind and waves making them a great candidate for coastal trips. I paddle these canoes all over Floridas coastal areas. Including a 100 mile trip on the wilderness waterway. We took out north woods fully loaded on the outside route which exposed us to 2' waves and 2 days there were severe white caps. Never once did we feel uneasy about it. I would recommend something out of the touring series most likely the North Woods 18'6" or the North Shore 20'6". I have owned a Northwoods before and regret selling it. I will most likely get another one. The northshore is a bigger family of 4 plus camping gear version of the north woods.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Nullifier said:
Personally Bell canoes are my favorite. I have been in the paddlesports industry for 17 years now. I have worked in manufacturing, as a rep, I owned a retail store for 8 years and currently own a canoe rental shop. I have owned just about every major brand of canoe on the market and now I own bell canoes. The reason for this is becasue the designer David Yost has an amazing insight to shape. His boats are really well balanced as far as how they handle a variety of water and wind conditions. His designs do exceptionaly well in wind and waves making them a great candidate for coastal trips. I paddle these canoes all over Floridas coastal areas. Including a 100 mile trip on the wilderness waterway. We took out north woods fully loaded on the outside route which exposed us to 2' waves and 2 days there were severe white caps. Never once did we feel uneasy about it. I would recommend something out of the touring series most likely the North Woods 18'6" or the North Shore 20'6". I have owned a Northwoods before and regret selling it. I will most likely get another one. The northshore is a bigger family of 4 plus camping gear version of the north woods.

I have a Bell Yellowstone and like it for solo tripping although it's stability varies greatly with seat height. I haven't paddled any of their big boats. I have a Sawyer DY Special and it's a lightening fast solo boat but requires a bow thruster to turn.

JeepinBear

Explorer
Wow guys...yet again I am amazed at the level of insight and expertise available in the ExPo community. Thanks and keep it coming. I was not very familiar with Bell Canoes, but I am more than interested now!!

johnnyrover

Observer
Long time listener...first time caller

Wenonah and Bell make awesome boats, and are both built within 20 minutes of my house, but I would recommend you look at the Old Towne Penobscot (in royalex) as your first canoe.

For the money...
It has good initial and secondary stability, handles loads well, and tracks well when solo...They are also very durable in Royalex, and well suited as an all around canoe.

From here, you can begin to learn what form and function best suit your paddling needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles