Safari Quality Chairs, Table and Basin?

Scott Brady

Founder
Ok, I am tired of these garbage chairs and tables. I just returned a set of chairs to REI that lasted only two trips before failure. So, I am curious if any of you have come across an importer of Safari/Expedition grade camp furniture. Canvas, wood, steel, etc., with no plastic.

A few come to mind I have questions on:

Jonathan Hanson: Your camp chair
Mark and Brooke: Your table

I would also like to find a tri-leg basin like the one in this image:

wmcamp.jpg

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
What I use

For tables, I have one I bought at Sears (!!), which is aluminum, and the top detaches and rolls up. This has held up very well over the past few years, and shows no signs of wearing out. STiff, sturdy, and big enough for bith my stove and a wash basin for doshes, faces, etc.

The chairs being sold for camping suck. All the ones with the canvas seats and collapsible frameworks fail within a trip or two. I now use chairs made for bird hunters - steel frame folding chairs with canvas seat and back. They fold flat, have a sling for carrying, and even a small storage bag under the seat, with a zipper for access. These work pretty well, and fold flat, so they can be tucked into the trailer without problems.

Here is one like it - tho the frame is aluminum.

418977.jpg

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I still like the old folding aluminum lawn chairs. Not so prone to make you slouch. Not as compact but they weigh less then the other foldings I have and they are already 25 years old hand me downs from the In-Laws and still going strong with a re web every couple years.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Go to REI and ask who is making the Walrus chairs and tables since EMS bought Walrus.

They were very solid and widely copied, but the copies don't have the same quality. I remember a couch was about $110 and I always wanted one.

Walmart might also be a place to look. Rednecks take their campin' very seriously!:xxrotflma

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
As for the table, make sure it's also fireproof as Durango_60 may accidentally start it aflame. Seriously, I now know why these tables are aluminum with us placing cooking instruments on them...

Last edited:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Travel Chair

http://www.travelchair.com/aboutus.html

Scott,

I will be most likely try one the Travel Chair brand chairs when I get rid of my el cheepo chairs.

They appear to be made more heavy duty than the typical Chinese stuff.

Perhaps they would send you a test chair for review? Then I'd know if they are any good before I buy one;)

flywgn

Explorer
Scott,

Is this what you had in mind? (pic below) :jump:

Okay, on a more serious note. The chairs that we had with the Conquerer safari trailer were comfortable and durable. They are made in South Africa, but I don't remember the brand. Unfortunately, we let them go with the trailer when we sold it.

Some years ago Coleman made some heavy-guage metal/canvas folding chairs in the classic safari style. We still have two. They're more comfortable and a bit heavier than the strike-offs we purchased at REI and Cabella's. I don't see them offered any more from the Coleman catalog.

Of course the absolute classic is the Barlow Tyrie teak/canvas chairs, but we haven't put out those $$$ yet for camp chairs.

Allen

Attachments

• 246_recliner (Small).jpg
    246_recliner (Small).jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 67

Scott Brady

Founder
The travel chair is a much better looking product. You can see the quality in the details.

Jonathan had a sweet wood/metal and cotton canvas chair. Something like that would be ideal.

I also need to find a comfy hammock to run between the front bumper and a tree :suning:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
I also need to find a comfy hammock to run between the front bumper and a tree :suning:

Wow, not sure why I never thought of that. I have a perfect one that my sister brought back from Costa Rica that is folded in a closet, I should bring that along.

Thanks!

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
REI use to sell a La Fuma chair. I have 3 of these chairs and have been very satisfied over the years. They are a little bit more for relaxing in. We used them for years in or sea kayaks. Only thing we could find that would slide into the hatch. Good topic - looking for other ideas as well, now that I have to fill the Chaser. Here is a link to pictures as well as purchase

http://www.lafumafurniture.com/Lafuma-Maxi-Pop-Up-chair.pro

Justin Pitcairn
2003 Jeep Rubicon
Adventure Trailers Chaser #15

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:

Or a bumper and a bumper. Then you would have a death match to see who gets to use it:elkgrin:

gcec

I'm a huge fan of the Melvill and Moon products... so much so we recently started importing them. It was a tough call because they are EXPENSIVE - but quality doesn't come cheap :)

The Roorkhee chair is the kind of thing that lasts for decades. It's all wood, canvas, and leather. One of the best features is that, owing to it's dowel based design, it sits flat on any surface; put a brick under one of the legs and it will "self level" so that you're not rocking about. About CDN$ 250.

The Harry Moon 4 in 1 is an excellent table that easily converts into a table, bath, shaving\wash basin, or ice bucket for chilling your favourite wine.

And it you find sleeping on the ground uncomfortable they make a lovely cot, that can also double as a table for 6.

Oh yeah... They also make the absolutely BEST seat covers for Land Rovers, Toyotas, and soon Jeeps.

I've got some decent pictures if you're interested.

flywgn

Explorer
Steven,

Right you are about the Roorkhee chair and I agree with your endorsement of Melvill and Moon equipment. We came in contact (literally) with some of their items on our trip to S. Africa and Namibia. Great quality.

I believe that we'll have to acquire a couple of Roorhees to go along with 'Harry', our new Horizon trailer we're soon to receive.

Allen

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Whoops, I just saw this thread.

Our "butterfly" chairs were made in South Africa and imported by a company sadly no longer in business. They're 13 or 14 years old at least and still in perfect working order. If I can find another source I'll post it.

Chair.jpg

The Roorkhee chairs are first class and would be worth the investment! I'd like to try to make a couple myself. I have the book about British campaign furniture and there's some astonishing stuff in there. Say what you will about Victorian English officers, they knew how to travel in style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior