Laptop users -- is dust and rain an issue?

jsmoriss

Explorer
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to decide between a Laptop and a full-size GPS install for several weeks now. The different setups I'm considering are:

- IBM Thinkpad X41 w/ docking, mounted on RAM vertical mount, Garmin 76CSx, Garmin nRoute and AutoEnginuity OBD II software.

- Lowrance 9200c or 9300c HD with external antenna, etc., mounted on a RAM vertical mount.

The advantage of the laptop is I already have everything!, where-as the Lowrance stuff is a good chunk of cash. All I had to buy for the laptop is a smaller profile battery and a second power adapter (I already have 2 dockings!). I can also plug the laptop into the OBD II port - I don't think the Lowrance can do that. :) The Laptop also gives us access to WiFi if/when we find an open access point on the road.

The big DIS-advantage to the Laptop is dust, water, and the extra space for the keyboard. We have a Jeep JK, and although we leave the top up (mostly because we have a roof rack and it's a pain to lower/raise the top), we sometime take the doors off. I'm not sure how long the Laptop would survive in these conditions. Not to mention the general shaking involved with off-road driving. The Lowrance has a definite advantage here.

So I guess my question is, to those of you with Latops in your vehicles, is dust, vibration, and water a problem?

js.

overlander

Expedition Leader
I can tell you from a deployment to Iraq as a staff officer, that your laptop won't last too long. The vibration will kill it before the water and dust will. Laptops are more rugged than desktops, but that motherboard and hard drive will eventually develop issues. you can get a ruggedized laptop harddrive (I got one for my RoverPC) to replace yours, and that will help some. a ruggedized laptop (2.5") hard drive meets extreme and automotive conditions, but they generally are slower (data exchange rate) and smaller capacity than average laptop hard drives.

I would recommend you sell the laptop, and get a ruggedized laptop like the Toshiba CF72. My unit was issued Dell Latitudes and CF72s. Very few issues over 10 months in Iraq with the toughbooks, while the dells were dropping like flies.

AzRover

Observer
I have used a hand held gps with a lap top for a few years, and there are some problems. My laptop is big and hard to see in sun light. It is hard to use while driving.
My old hand held gps broke, so I bought a big marine gps, and I like it better. I can still connect my lap if needed.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I am a rapid believer in my laptop for all kinds of uses in my Toyota...
however there are a few things to note...
#1 look at the Jeniko.com mounts...much less money and I have beat mine up hard for over a year no issues...
#2 I use my Extreme Outback onboard air setup to dust my stuff of a couple of times a day on the trail
#3 my rig has windows...
based on the open air setup you have the dedicated gps will last longer...
I am running a Toshiba U205 that I got from Scott Brady and it has seen alot of hard use and still kicks butt....however I still carry a handheld gps just in case I get a bluescreen of death or total blackout...
In your case just starting with a setup if you didn't need the laptop for pictures, writting, music, movies or anything else but nav go with the gps standalone

jsmoriss

Explorer
Well, you guys have given me a lot to think about...

overlander said:
I would recommend you sell the laptop, and get a ruggedized laptop

The Panasonic Toughbook Tablet with Touchscreen looks like a winner. Pricey, but it looks like you really get the best of both worlds. What do you think?

js.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I found my fujitsu touchscreen hard to use while bouncing around.....
The toughbooks are really really nice...I had one for a while but they are HEAVY.
It really comes down to if you need all the functions of a laptop...if you aren't using it to take notes, store/edit pics, and other such things, then a standalone gps will better serve your nav needs.
If you do really need a laptop or like me are a total techno geek and have to have one then I have found this Toshiba U205 to be light, hold up to dust, have a great screen I can read anytime and works great. for less money than the Toughbook.
Just my thoughts and worth what you paid for them :)

Dave

Explorer
If you are considering a Toughbook and if there is not a need to remove the machine from the vehicle on a regular basis, you should look at the Data 911 M6. It's not a laptop, more of a "bolted in" solution. The CPU and power supply can be installed away from the passenger cabin, leaving just the display and the keyboard/mouse to be mounted up front.

http://www.data911.com/main/hardware.html

They will probably cost more then the Toughbook laptops, but might be competitive with the tablets.

We are running them in our police and ranger vehicles with no problems.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
overlander said:
I would recommend you sell the laptop, and get a ruggedized laptop like the Toshiba CF72. My unit was issued Dell Latitudes and CF72s. Very few issues over 10 months in Iraq with the toughbooks, while the dells were dropping like flies.

I assume you meant Panasonic, not Toshiba?

EDITED: Overlander, I turned my other questions into a PM, rather than hijack the thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

DBS311

Adventurer
Toughbook CF-29 all the way, especially with touch screen. I beat the crap out of mine, it gets real dirty and yet I've never had an issue. The chassis does a great job of sealing the components. For example, when I pop open the door to access the CD drive, the rubber/foam seal has kept out all the dirt and dust.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Dust is a big issue. I've just recovered from a dust saga.
Over the last while I've been having all sorts of problems with blue screens and fried components etc. Eventually I was on my way outside to chuck it in the trash when I decided to give it a blast of compressed air.
Out came a pile of dust. The CPU must have been caked in dust and was overheating. It works perfectly now and I saved myself some money.
From this point forward it's going to get regular blasts of air through the CPU cooling duct, from both sides.

jsmoriss

Explorer
Thanks everyone for your replies. Here's what I'll be doing...

I'll be using my existing X41 laptop. If it dies, then I'll probably buy a Panasonic Toughbook, or maybe switch to my T40 until it dies also. :) I'll definitely use some compressed air to clean it out once in a while. :)

Now my only issue is the X41 doesn't have built-in GPS... I could use my 76CSx, but that means another cable going to the laptop, etc. I'm thinking of keeping it as a backup (in case the laptop dies) and permanently mounting a Garmin "Mobile 10" https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=139&pID=420 somewhere in the cab. What do you think?

js.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
The Panasonic Toughbook cornered the market, and their name has sorta become the common term for ruggedized computers (kind of like how everyone calls all adjustable wrenches a 'Crescent wrench'), but they aren't the only kids on the block.

Personally, I would love to get my hands on the 4.8” X 6.6” X 1.6” General Dynamics Itronix MR-1, and see what it can do:

front.jpg

I think it would be good if we compiled a list of manufacturers, but don’t want to hijack your thread too much. ;)

Maybe I’ll start a new thread, and list the ones that I am aware of.

WRT your ‘Mobile 10’ question, it seems to me that a Bluetooth GPS would be the way to go. However, I only know one person that has an automotive Bluetooth GPS and he says it is constantly loosing connectivity. I hope his experience isn’t indicative.

On the other hand, if you get a plug-in unit (USB, RJ45, whatever), you risk compromising the dust/waterproofing of the laptop. AFIK, off the shelf, all the rugged laptops are only MilSpec rated with the I/O doors closed or plugs in place.

And, of course, the more connectors you have the more potential you have for corroded contacts.

gjackson

FRGS
In the 110 I use an iBook 12" G4 attached to a Garmin 176. I do have a custom mount for the iBook, and it has survived dust and vibration with no issues so far even on fairly intense excursions . . .

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94