Laptop users -- is dust and rain an issue?

jeff@work

Adventurer
I use my sony laptop in my van for navigation among other things. I have it hooked up to a 7" xenarc touchscreen that i have mounted on my dash. This allows me to keep the laptop screen closed most of the time which helps with keeping some dust off of it. I also replaced the hard drive with an ssd hard drive so no need to worry about vibrations killing my hard drive anymore! For gps i use a bluetooth gps receiver which works well if you have build in bluetooth, that would eliminate the having another wire running around problem.

The setup works pretty well for me. I found it a bit difficult and not very safe to use just the laptop monitor for navigation, while i did have it mounted fairly high up I would still have to take my eyes off the road to look at it and that's not such a good thing! That said rain would certainly destroy my setup, if i found dust to be more of a problem i'd probably mount the laptop somewhere else to shield it from the dust and then use a wireless keyboard/mouse. Although those ruggedized laptops are nice too!

DBS311

Adventurer
Lynn said:
The Panasonic Toughbook cornered the market, and their name has sorta become the common term for ruggedized computers (kind of like how everyone calls all adjustable wrenches a 'Crescent wrench'), but they aren't the only kids on the block.

Personally, I would love to get my hands on the 4.8” X 6.6” X 1.6” General Dynamics Itronix MR-1, and see what it can do:

front.jpg

I think it would be good if we compiled a list of manufacturers, but don’t want to hijack your thread too much. ;)

Maybe I’ll start a new thread, and list the ones that I am aware of.

WRT your ‘Mobile 10’ question, it seems to me that a Bluetooth GPS would be the way to go. However, I only know one person that has an automotive Bluetooth GPS and he says it is constantly loosing connectivity. I hope his experience isn’t indicative.

On the other hand, if you get a plug-in unit (USB, RJ45, whatever), you risk compromising the dust/waterproofing of the laptop. AFIK, off the shelf, all the rugged laptops are only MilSpec rated with the I/O doors closed or plugs in place.

And, of course, the more connectors you have the more potential you have for corroded contacts.

I've got a couple of these and think the screen is simply too small. If you go this route, save yourself several grand and just get a Lowrance or equivalent. The Itronix is basically the same price as a CF-29, which would work better IMO.

DBS311

Adventurer
jsmoriss said:
Thanks everyone for your replies. Here's what I'll be doing...

I'll be using my existing X41 laptop. If it dies, then I'll probably buy a Panasonic Toughbook, or maybe switch to my T40 until it dies also. :) I'll definitely use some compressed air to clean it out once in a while. :)

Now my only issue is the X41 doesn't have built-in GPS... I could use my 76CSx, but that means another cable going to the laptop, etc. I'm thinking of keeping it as a backup (in case the laptop dies) and permanently mounting a Garmin "Mobile 10" https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=139&pID=420 somewhere in the cab. What do you think?

js.

Just purchase a GPS antenna like the USGlobalSat MR-350, and plug it into the laptop. You won't need to run another external GPS receiver.

DBS311

Adventurer
Yeah, that will work as well. If you want less wires, obviously Bluetooth is the way to go. I prefer to use something that doesn't need recharging, but that is just me. I'm sure if you picked up this receiver you will be very satisfied with its performance.

Whatever direction you go, be sure to field test it for us and report back.:arabia:

jsmoriss

Explorer
Here's my laptop docking and RAM mounting plate.

20080819-173012-lx2-30603.jpg

What do you think? Is the RAM mounting plate too narrow? I can't screw it (I took the docking apart to make sure), so will have to use glue. What do you think is the best glue for this?

Thanks,
js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
DBS311 said:
Yeah, that will work as well. If you want less wires, obviously Bluetooth is the way to go.

Actually, this should allow me to have NO wires. The docking will stay in place with a power hookup, but no other wires. The laptop snaps in, and bingo! :) Although now I gotta find a place for that bluetooth gps receiver...

js.

DBS311

Adventurer
I know that Bluetooth = zero wires. I was talking "less wires overall" running throughout the cab of the vehicle for accessories you might eventually run. For example, if you have multiple accessories in your rig (fridge, fuse block, dual battery monitor, etc.) running the Bluetooth receiver will allow you to run "less wiring". Am I making any sense?!?!?:mixed-smiley-030:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94