Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick-Up Cabinet Concept Akin to Westfalia Cabinetry

Default Pick-Up Cabinet Concept Akin to Westfalia Cabinetry

Hey Folks,

First post for me. Already used the search function, too. Closest things I could find were almost but not quite what I'm after so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I have a plan to build a set of slide out cabinets (left side and right side) for my '02 Tacoma. I'm debating between wood and riveted aluminum for the slide out cabinets. I'll use wood for the front cabinets (aux battery, propane, etc).

I already have an RTT on top and want to use the space afforded by the truck bed for a stove, sink, fridge, storage, etc without all the hassle of pulling boxes of camping stuff out of the back of the truck. I've positioned my RTT so that it opens aft over the tailgate which, when combined with the attachable shower enclosure/awning, creates an extended living/cooking space.

The option to the slide-out cabinets is an Eagle by 4 Wheel. However, with all the options we want, I'm getting a little skpetical about overall weight.

Also, I'm not a fan of dragging a trailer down to Chile which is where Mommy wants me to drive her on Sunday......well, on a Sunday sometime in May of 2014 when I retire.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll shut up and post the concept sketches.

Here's the help I need.......ideas, comments, sharpshooting, proposals, ridicule, etc, etc.

My wife and I are driving down to Chile in a few years after I retire.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by NothingClever; 01-13-2010 at 03:05 AM.

You potentially have a lot of weight high and to the rear of your axle, in the form of your pantry and storage. That will do bad things to your handling especially off road.

I'd recommend doing some center of gravity calculations.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Nuclear Redneck; 08-07-2008 at 02:33 AM. Reason: stupid i before e rule not always useful
    Tate '13 Jeep JK Unlimited
    Specialization is for insects.
    -Lazarus Long, Time Enough For Love

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Redneck View Post
    You potentially have a lot of weight high and to the rear of your axle, in the form of your pantry and storage. That will do bad things to your handling especially off road.

I'd recommend doing some center of gravity calculations.

Cheers,
    Hey Shipmate ,

I did my COG calculations and here's my analysis.....nowhere the same weight as putting a camper on back .

My offroad excursions will be pretty tame. I'm mostly interested in dirt roads versus scraping paint off of some sliders.
    Alright, this is just fancy car camping, people. Move along, move along.

Looks like the COG is pretty far forward.

water right over the axle

batteries and other permanent heavy stuff in front

nice design

Thx, seeds.

I forgot to mention...the cargo box on the roof rack will simply be seasonal clothing which means the weight on top of the cargo rack will be marginal.

Well, shoot....I asked for critical analysis, received over 700 looks over the past coupla years and only got a coupla responses....I can only interpret that as:

1) "Boy, I tell ya, I tell ya....you're just plaaaaaaain dumb" (read with the Foghorn Leghorn voice)

2) "It won't fly" (whatever Orville Wright's neighbor sounded like)

3) "Your design is so uniquely conceptualized that you should run madly to the patent office to properly guard your divinely inspired intellectual contribution to the ExPo"

or perhaps

4) "Give it up & buy the Eagle from KC, Tom & Stan"

I like your ideas so far, but I'm curious about your slide-out cabinets.
    Will they open to the sides, or to the back?
    (I'm assuming they will have doors that swing out right?)
    I think opening to the back, under your overhang would make things more convenient, especially when the rain is falling.
    (I'm sort of assuming this was already your plan...)

And the only thing that I could crtique is the solar panel. You will have to make sure you always park with the front of the truck facing south, or you're going to get shadows from your tent, as well as your cargo boxes on the roof rack.
    Or when you're in Chile, park facing north.

You could always build a slide for the solar panel to extend it even more forward over the roof of the truck.

I'd suggest putting fuel, batteries and maybe propane outside the vehicle to prevent fumes and perhaps a fire hazard. If you sourced a DOT propane tank for the frame rail, put the batteries under the hood and put the fuel cell where the stock spare is, you wouldn't have to worry about a spark from the electrics setting off the camper area. Better COG as well.
    Kevin Price
    KJ6NII
    '95 Ford Bronco

I just want to say I like the idea of the shower and other awning box being mounted UNDER the roof rack...great utilization of space....

I will probably use that idea in future builds!
    Current rig

2006 F150 4.6L crew cab 4x4 XLT..

Old rigs.
    85 E250 Turbo 6.9 vegiburner
    6.9L of TURBO'D Internatonal Harvester...its kinda like a hot girl with an STD...you wanna get into it...but yer scared what it'll do to ya!!!

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 doublecab 5.7 4x4 Scamper hauler
    2002 Ford Explorer 7pass 4.6L 4x4 family rig.

Here are my only thoughts

Why all this work when you could get a nicely built trailer that will have everything already thought out and probably offer much more room and comfort?

Only saying because I sat for a few years trying to design something similar only to find I could go out and buy it already built, and then just tweak a few things myself and have exactly what I want

Only saying this to try and save you some headache. Granted, I love the ideas and sketches, but I'm also of the mindset that there are some pretty sweet slide-in's, expedition worthy trailers or heck, a small camper for that matter..i.e. Scamp, Burro, or even a Oliver. These last few models are small, lightweight yet still will give you some decent luxuries for an extended trip.

Since you said you're not planning on any serious Off-road, any of these options would be a perfect fit and you still have plenty of time to outfit them to your liking

Good luck, and I'll be watching to see how this onfolds
    Pat Bonish
    Every Miles A Memory
    Lowkey Hideaway - Come Visit

Exploring North America by Backroads and Trails When We're Not in Cedar Key

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast