Diesel FJ40 - Anyone here?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I've seen this vehicle around my neighborhood a few times, and finally snapped some pics of it. I left a card on it with the ExPo site, so maybe they'll find their way here.

8-10-08033.jpg

8-10-08036.jpg

8-10-08034.jpg

lowenbrau

Explorer
"A diesel FJ40" in this case is actually a BJ42. A rather nice one at that. I love those vent doors that the Aussies got.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
lowenbrau said:
"A diesel FJ40" in this case is actually a BJ42. A rather nice one at that. I love those vent doors that the Aussies got.

Very cool...did not actually know that.

I love the pizza cutters too, and agreed, that 42 is nice!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
lowenbrau said:
Yep, a buddy of mine bought a very similar vehicle last year adn is in the process of restoring it. His is indeed a BJ as well, and it's quite a great rig. I didn't realize that the US didin't get the vent doors, all our 40's in OZ had them and I love them, except for on river crossings where the gaskets have disintigrated and therefor let in alot of water.

Cheers

Dave

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Actually BJ40s do exist much like a HJ45. Typically refers to an older modeled powered by a B or 2B engine. This one, however, looks like a BJ42 with the 3B engine. The earlier models had 4 speeds but the later had 5 speeds. I routinely drive (just remembering its been at my house for 4 days and I need to return it!) a friends '84 BJ42, turboed, with a 5 speed, full roll cage, on 4" lift with 33's. Same desert tan color. One sweet ride, decent power, well in excess of 20 mpg. Makes you wonder...

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
dieselcruiserhead said:
I routinely drive (just remembering its been at my house for 4 days and I need to return it!) a friends '84 BJ42, turboed, with a 5 speed, full roll cage, on 4" lift with 33's.

I would of "forgotten" about returning it! :hehe:

lowenbrau

Explorer
dieselcruiserhead said:
Actually BJ40s do exist much like a HJ45. Typically refers to an older modeled powered by a B or 2B engine. This one, however, looks like a BJ42 with the 3B engine. The earlier models had 4 speeds but the later had 5 speeds. I routinely drive (just remembering its been at my house for 4 days and I need to return it!) a friends '84 BJ42, turboed, with a 5 speed, full roll cage, on 4" lift with 33's. Same desert tan color. One sweet ride, decent power, well in excess of 20 mpg. Makes you wonder...

Yeah this one certainly could have been a BJ40 "B" powered if it was '79 or 80. It also could have been a BJ41 "2B" but they were JDM only and I don't think the Japanese got the vent doors.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
dieselcruiserhead said:
I was under the impression that the majority of the BJ's were NOT the 3b... Andre if I got you the Numbers off my buddy's BJ could you tell me what engine is actualy in teh truck??? I had thought we had narrowed it down to the 2b...

It's a great little motor, really torquey, but without the ability to "wind out" that I have with my 22RE gasser. He has been tossing around the idea of Turboing it, but he want's to really know wehat he's getting into, and he's more of a gear lover/admirer than an actual gear head ;)

Chjeers

Dave

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
4Rescue said:
I had thought we had narrowed it down to the 2b...

Chjeers

Dave

I think it is molded into the engine block in big letters. The other landcruiser engines have this.
But it should be on the aluminium plate on the firewall along with the model, gearbox and diff type

lowenbrau

Explorer
The answer is in the VIN. 10 digit VINs begin with the model number ie BJ40 etc. and 17 digit ones have it in the middle somewhere.

If it says BJ40 its a B
BJ41 is a 2B and
BJ42 is a 3B

The sticker on the valve cover will also have the engine model and if you look at the block, above the starter, the engine type will be cast into the block.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
If I remember correctly the BJ-40 had a round headlight bezel while the BJ-42 had the squared off version. Easiest way to tell them apart from a distance - at least that was the case with Canadian imports and the 40 & 42 I had.

Pete

lowenbrau

Explorer
mountainpete said:
If I remember correctly the BJ-40 had a round headlight bezel while the BJ-42 had the squared off version. Easiest way to tell them apart from a distance - at least that was the case with Canadian imports and the 40 & 42 I had.

Pete

The bezel change happened in the '79 model year. Cdn spec rigs still had the B diesel until 1981. So if it has a square bezel it could be anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles