Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Grand Cherokee to Discovery Convert - need quick schooling

Default Possible Grand Cherokee to Discovery Convert - need quick schooling

I parked next to what appeared to be a well maintained bright red Discovery on Thursday. Don't know what possessed me, but I put a note on it suggesting that I might be in the market to buy if they were in the market to sell. Got a call the next day.

I need to educate myself quickly before I call back. What years did Land Rover market the bright red color on the Discovery? (I've seen many "dull" red and maroon, but only a few with bright red paint). Where are some websites that can quickly provide me with information regarding the good, bad and ugly about Discoveries, particularly desirable vs. undesirable models/years/equipment, etc.

(PS - the reason for "red" vs. any other color is the color of my '46 Bantam trailer, see link below.)
    Robert Bills
    Shasta County, California
    KG6LMV
    '05 Nissan Xterra Off Road
    '46 Bantam T3-C trailer

I have a 1997 Discovery and a 1999 Series 1 SD, I have been very happen with both. I have 130,000 on the 1997 and 120,000 on the 1999. You will hear stories about Discoverys been maintance nightmares, needing head gaskets every 50,000 miles, but I have had no of this with my two.

I don't think they ever made bright red in the Series2 Discovery(19991/2 to2004) so i am guessing it it a 1994-1999, Series 1.

A picture of it could answer a lot of questions, did you take any?
    RonL
    Her's 1999 Green Disco (lifted and racked)
    His 1997 White Disco (lifted and locked)
    1995 GMC 3/4 ton with camper

Cape Town, South Africa, 33 52 24 S 18 30 00 E
    Try get one with cdl. (Centre diff lock) Not all models have it.
    06 Mitsubishi Colt 2.8i turbodiesel Clubcab
    (Americanese translation: L200 crewcab, or a truck version of a Pajero Sport)

Quote Originally Posted by Spikepretorius
    Try get one with cdl. (Centre diff lock) Not all models have it.
    1994 - some 2000 have CDL. The remaining 2001 & 2002 have CDL but not hooked up. 2003 no CDL TC. 2004 CDL is back and hooked up.

To the original question: ask about maintenance records. If they don't have them, pass. I'm on my third rover - not because of mechanical issues - I just beat the previous two within an inch of their lives. Awesome trucks and they deliver on their adventurous reputation.

If you don't know much, pay someone to look it over (someone who is familiar with rovers).
    1994 RRC LWB
    1974 RHD Series III 109 - sold
    Current projects: www.seedshop.com www.mmacrue.com

Thanks for the responses. Keep them coming. I'll try to get some photos today.
    Robert Bills
    KG6LMV
    '46 Bantam T3-C trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bills
    Thanks for the responses. Keep them coming. I'll try to get some photos today.
    You might want to read through this thread as well: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=16605

Knowing the year would help narrow the responses, but I think it is a pretty fair statemnt to say that for every positive experience you will encounter a negative one. It seems that there are plenty of guys with 150K on their Discos who feel they are the best vehicle they have ever owned, and plenty with 50K that they are the biggest piece of crap they have ever owned. I love them, but had so many problems with my '96 that I had to dump it before my wife left me..
    ~Scott T.
    '95 D-90 ST
    '06 BMW X5 3.0i
    '96 Discovery (Now gone, but missed)
    '89 Pathfinder built to wheel (Gone but not forgotten)
    '00 Miata SE

[__,[____],
    [---[:O==O:]
    ()) ())-o---))

"If you're not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!"

Thanks for the lead to the thread.

Sorry, but I don't know the year yet. I wanted to educate myself a bit before I called the owner.

So, if anyone knows the years LR marketed bright red Discos, please let me know.
    Robert Bills
    KG6LMV
    '46 Bantam T3-C trailer

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmd
    1994 - some 2000 have CDL. The remaining 2001 & 2002 have CDL but not hooked up. 2003 no CDL TC. 2004 CDL is back and hooked up.
    Sorry Steven, but none of the Series IIs came with CDL from the factory ... the 99-early 2000s had the same transfer case as the DIs, just no cockpit control to activate it. That being said, it is a simple job to put a DI CDL linkage in a DII with the correct LT-230 transfer case. Anything past mid-2000 had a different transfer case and would not let you lock up the center diff. Really the only hard and fast way to find out if a DII has the right transfer case is to reach up and find the 'nipple' on top of the case. Greasy job, but worth the education.

For an overland-type vehicle, there will be opinions abounding so I'll not bother giving one either way. Having said that, the DI has less electronics to deal with than a DII, has full floating axles rather than the DIIs semi-floating, but the DII has more room and an updated look.

As far as the red color goes, I've seen a bright red (for the life of me I can't remember the nomenclature) on DIIs personally but can't say if I've seen it on the DI. The biggest different appearance-wise between the two are the door handles and the rear lights. On a DI the door handles are recessed, like RRCs, where the DIIs share an actually door handle like on a P38. The lights on a DII go much farther up the rear pillar than on a DI and there are some differences on where the turn signals and reverse lights I (I think on the DI the reverse lights are in the bumper whereas on the DII they are on the pillar) but don't quote me.
    Last edited by superpowerdave; 08-11-2008 at 06:37 PM.

I'm pretty sure you could get a 'fire engine' red color on either the Series I or Series II Discovery. As has been mentioned, the easiest way to tell them apart is by the door handles and the rear tail lights.

Disco I's had repeated turnsignals and red marker lamps/brake lights in the rearbumpers. Early ('99-'02) Disco II's had the turnsignals in the rear bumper, but later Disco II's ('03-'04) had the turn signals in the upper cluster, and the back-up lamps in the bumper.

Attached are a photo of a Disco I (white) and a Disco II (dk. red) with the main differences highlighted. The tail is also longer (same wheelbase) on the Disco II, but you probably would notnotice if you weren't familiar with Discoverys.
    Last edited by Best4x4xfar; 09-22-2008 at 04:23 PM.
    ~Scott T.
    '95 D-90 ST
    '06 BMW X5 3.0i
    '96 Discovery (Now gone, but missed)
    '89 Pathfinder built to wheel (Gone but not forgotten)
    '00 Miata SE

[__,[____],
    [---[:O==O:]
    ()) ())-o---))

"If you're not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!"

Quote Originally Posted by superpowerdave
    Sorry Steven, but none of the Series IIs came with CDL from the factory ... the 99-early 2000s had the same transfer case as the DIs, just no cockpit control to activate it. That being said, it is a simple job to put a DI CDL linkage in a DII with the correct LT-230 transfer case. Anything past mid-2000 had a different transfer case and would not let you lock up the center diff. Really the only hard and fast way to find out if a DII has the right transfer case is to reach up and find the 'nipple' on top of the case. Greasy job, but worth the education.
    Yes, almost correct Dave. I was in quite the hurry to get out the door to work this morning, running late b/c I was on ExPo & LRR as usual!

The 99.5 - 00.5 Series II came with CDL (correct in that it was the DI TC) but not hooked up.
    1994 RRC LWB
    1974 RHD Series III 109 - sold
    Current projects: www.seedshop.com www.mmacrue.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast