Possible Grand Cherokee to Discovery Convert - need quick schooling

Robert Bills

Explorer
I parked next to what appeared to be a well maintained bright red Discovery on Thursday. Don't know what possessed me, but I put a note on it suggesting that I might be in the market to buy if they were in the market to sell. Got a call the next day.

I need to educate myself quickly before I call back. What years did Land Rover market the bright red color on the Discovery? (I've seen many "dull" red and maroon, but only a few with bright red paint). Where are some websites that can quickly provide me with information regarding the good, bad and ugly about Discoveries, particularly desirable vs. undesirable models/years/equipment, etc.

(PS - the reason for "red" vs. any other color is the color of my '46 Bantam trailer, see link below.)

RonL

Adventurer
I have a 1997 Discovery and a 1999 Series 1 SD, I have been very happen with both. I have 130,000 on the 1997 and 120,000 on the 1999. You will hear stories about Discoverys been maintance nightmares, needing head gaskets every 50,000 miles, but I have had no of this with my two.

I don't think they ever made bright red in the Series2 Discovery(19991/2 to2004) so i am guessing it it a 1994-1999, Series 1.

A picture of it could answer a lot of questions, did you take any?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Spikepretorius said:
Try get one with cdl. (Centre diff lock) Not all models have it.
1994 - some 2000 have CDL. The remaining 2001 & 2002 have CDL but not hooked up. 2003 no CDL TC. 2004 CDL is back and hooked up.

To the original question: ask about maintenance records. If they don't have them, pass. I'm on my third rover - not because of mechanical issues - I just beat the previous two within an inch of their lives. Awesome trucks and they deliver on their adventurous reputation.

If you don't know much, pay someone to look it over (someone who is familiar with rovers).

LRNAD90

Adventurer
Robert Bills said:
Thanks for the responses. Keep them coming. I'll try to get some photos today.

You might want to read through this thread as well: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16605

Knowing the year would help narrow the responses, but I think it is a pretty fair statemnt to say that for every positive experience you will encounter a negative one. It seems that there are plenty of guys with 150K on their Discos who feel they are the best vehicle they have ever owned, and plenty with 50K that they are the biggest piece of crap they have ever owned. I love them, but had so many problems with my '96 that I had to dump it before my wife left me..

Robert Bills

Explorer
Thanks for the lead to the thread.

Sorry, but I don't know the year yet. I wanted to educate myself a bit before I called the owner.

So, if anyone knows the years LR marketed bright red Discos, please let me know.

superpowerdave

Adventurer
stevenmd said:
1994 - some 2000 have CDL. The remaining 2001 & 2002 have CDL but not hooked up. 2003 no CDL TC. 2004 CDL is back and hooked up.

Sorry Steven, but none of the Series IIs came with CDL from the factory ... the 99-early 2000s had the same transfer case as the DIs, just no cockpit control to activate it. That being said, it is a simple job to put a DI CDL linkage in a DII with the correct LT-230 transfer case. Anything past mid-2000 had a different transfer case and would not let you lock up the center diff. Really the only hard and fast way to find out if a DII has the right transfer case is to reach up and find the 'nipple' on top of the case. Greasy job, but worth the education.

For an overland-type vehicle, there will be opinions abounding so I'll not bother giving one either way. Having said that, the DI has less electronics to deal with than a DII, has full floating axles rather than the DIIs semi-floating, but the DII has more room and an updated look.

As far as the red color goes, I've seen a bright red (for the life of me I can't remember the nomenclature) on DIIs personally but can't say if I've seen it on the DI. The biggest different appearance-wise between the two are the door handles and the rear lights. On a DI the door handles are recessed, like RRCs, where the DIIs share an actually door handle like on a P38. The lights on a DII go much farther up the rear pillar than on a DI and there are some differences on where the turn signals and reverse lights I (I think on the DI the reverse lights are in the bumper whereas on the DII they are on the pillar) but don't quote me.

Last edited:

LRNAD90

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure you could get a 'fire engine' red color on either the Series I or Series II Discovery. As has been mentioned, the easiest way to tell them apart is by the door handles and the rear tail lights.

Disco I's had repeated turnsignals and red marker lamps/brake lights in the rearbumpers. Early ('99-'02) Disco II's had the turnsignals in the rear bumper, but later Disco II's ('03-'04) had the turn signals in the upper cluster, and the back-up lamps in the bumper.

Attached are a photo of a Disco I (white) and a Disco II (dk. red) with the main differences highlighted. The tail is also longer (same wheelbase) on the Disco II, but you probably would notnotice if you weren't familiar with Discoverys.

Last edited:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
superpowerdave said:
Sorry Steven, but none of the Series IIs came with CDL from the factory ... the 99-early 2000s had the same transfer case as the DIs, just no cockpit control to activate it. That being said, it is a simple job to put a DI CDL linkage in a DII with the correct LT-230 transfer case. Anything past mid-2000 had a different transfer case and would not let you lock up the center diff. Really the only hard and fast way to find out if a DII has the right transfer case is to reach up and find the 'nipple' on top of the case. Greasy job, but worth the education.
Yes, almost correct Dave. I was in quite the hurry to get out the door to work this morning, running late b/c I was on ExPo & LRR as usual!:hehe:

The 99.5 - 00.5 Series II came with CDL (correct in that it was the DI TC) but not hooked up.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, but CDL is available AND hooked up in the 2004's, and that model in fact has a better linkage than the D1.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I'm playing phone tag with the owner, so still don't know the exact year. However, I've done a bit of Internet "detective work" and determined that the bright red color is known as "Rutland Red."

The LR I looked at is definitely a Discovery Series II. According to the color charts I have found, that narrows this one to either a:

1999 or

OK, what is good and bad about these particular model years, particularly from the standpoint of a potential daily driver / mild expedition vehicle?

And yes, I will ask to see the service records, have it inspected by a good independent mechanic, and I will have the VIN run by both Carfax and the dealer before I offer any of my hard earned money.

Thanks.

superpowerdave

Adventurer
R_Lefebvre said:
Yeah, but CDL is available AND hooked up in the 2004's, and that model in fact has a better linkage than the D1.

Just wondering what the train of thought was on this ... the 04 and up linkage, while quieter, is solenoid and electrics whereas the DI linkage is pure mechanics. I was just wondering why you considered it 'better.'

I looked at the 04 linkage for while before I pulled the trigger on the DI linkage. Aside from cost, I figured I was slowly trying to remove electronic dependent systems from the truck rather than add them so it made more sense to drop the DI in.

Hijack off, apologies to the OP.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Had a DII in Alaska - AWESOME RIG! I would recommend having the Land Rover dealership do a pre-purchase inspection. I have had a few Rovers in my time and would NEVER consider purchasing one without the dealers blessing. It can not only save you a hellish experience if the rig is in need of major attention, but undoubtedly the dealer will find something that needs attention and you can use that in your negotiations.

IF there is anything major needed for the DII, there is more than likely a superior after market fix. For example, the front drive shafts are very close to the catalytic converts. Due to the extreme heat there, the grease in the drive shafts joints gets cooked right out of the driveshaft and you can end up with a catastrophic failure that could just total your truck. Great Basin Rovers has a uber awesome driveshaft that permanently fixes the problem. This is just one example. The aftermarket is RICH with options and upgrades.
:lurk:

RonL

Adventurer
If it is a Series 2, it is a 1999 1/2 or 2000, 1998 & 1999 were Series 1.
The Series 2 was released as a half year model, 1999 1/2.

If it is a 1999 1/2, it may have a Series 1 Tansfer case which will give you CDL( with the linkage from a Series 1 or 2004 Series 2 added).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles