Well I finally got around to building out a kayak mount solution for the Chaser that allows me to keep the tent. My wife an I end up at a lot of great mountain lakes during the summer and although the hiking is great we've always wanted to sprinkle in a good dose of kayaking.
So this is what I came up with:
The rear is supported by a Thule Goalpost on a hitch extension.
The front is a 2x4 piece of extruded aluminum held down by a 3" ratcheting strap using assorted Thule pieces to mount the cross bar.
Here's a close up of the ratchet.
1) It works!
2) You get kayaks and the tent instead of either/or
3) 2 14" kayaks stay clear during heavy articulation
1) Raises the COG
2) Adds considerable length to trailer
3) 1 + 2 above = easy off roading only
4) Can only access through Chaser's tailgate while kayaks are on
5) Increases the trailer's cross wind profile
If anyone wants more detail let me know, I'll be happy to provide it.
Oh, and least I break with my tradition, here is another photo of Zach. It's his first time riding in a kayak.