Mounting Kayaks on an AT Chaser

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Dave,
It looks great man! Very creative. Almost like a surfboard strap put way better. Are you resting the aluminum tube directly on the EA cover? If so, you might consider adhering a 1/8" thick layer of dense neoprene foam to the bottom of the tube to prevent chaffing on the EA cover.

DavidEllzey

Observer
elcoyote said:
Dave,
It looks great man! Very creative. Almost like a surfboard strap put way better. Are you resting the aluminum tube directly on the EA cover? If so, you might consider adhering a 1/8" thick layer of dense neoprene foam to the bottom of the tube to prevent chaffing on the EA cover.

Mario,

Currently yes, the aluminum is directly on the cover. I thought about using neoprene (I even have some) but my experience with it has led me to believe it would wear out quickly. The new idea is to rivet on a piece of carpet around 3 sides cut from some of that really soft, plush bathroom stuff. It will get nasty and nappy over time but should hold up well.

Dave

PS - A thanks to you and everyone else for the compliments!

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
DavidEllzey said:
Mario,

Currently yes, the aluminum is directly on the cover. I thought about using neoprene (I even have some) but my experience with it has led me to believe it would wear out quickly. The new idea is to rivet on a piece of carpet around 3 sides cut from some of that really soft, plush bathroom stuff. It will get nasty and nappy over time but should hold up well.

Dave

PS - A thanks to you and everyone else for the compliments!

The carpet will work perfectly. I bet a nice scrap is for the asking at your local carpet store.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I wouldn't worry about the added weight, as lite as they are, there shouldn't be any issues. The strap used is great but the edge of the aluminum is like a knife. I would wrap a sleeve around the strap where it goes through the ends. I'd use a piece of heavy leather or atleast and old inner tube. I always carry a few cargo straps like that they are good for all kinds of uses. A friend of mine tore the transmission mount off his cherokee on a trail ride we double wrapped it in a x fassion with a cargo strap and he ran the run all weekend without issues lol.

rickc

Adventurer
Hi again David:

I took a look at the Rack and Roll site. Very expensive for such a simple trailer and I'd not feel comfortable with my big boats swinging around so far behind me supported only by two saddles about 3' apart. I always tie my ends down like you do and this can not be done properly with the little Rack and Roll trailer

Safer up top!

My little yak is almost 18' long and the bigger one is 22'. I like to support them with saddles as far apart as possible (easy with my 9' roof rack).

DavidEllzey

Observer
Rick,

Yeah, expensive for sure but the design looks pretty good in regards to functionality. The bars supposedly adjust out to 4 feet but that s still not much of a span on a 22' boat. Still if it were low and in the draft of the vehicle it might not need as much.

I'm only attracted to trailers like this as I often take the 395 up the eastern side of the Sierras and get pounded by crosswinds. I like any solution that gets the boats off my vehicle and closer to the ground. Uncontrolled lane changes suck.

Dave

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i tried that and didnt like it so my kayak stays on the rig. i think it was the overal length? i dunno, but it fits nice on the rig so why change it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles