Legal Question

GlobalMonkey

Adventurer
Is it possible and legal for my girlfriend, a citizen of Switzerland, to bring her own 2006 Land Rover 130 Crew Cab pickup registered in Switzerland to the US and sell it here? Any experiences? Thanx, Tomas

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
In short, as Kevin said: no.

The vehicle would be allowed in as a temporary tourist vehicle under her passport but she could not register it or sell it in the USA.

Pete

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Well,

Maybe. It would have to be a listed vehicle that the USDOT says is legal to be imported (I don't think so...no airbags.) If it is listed, it would have to be imported by/to a registered importer, who would then make the appropriate modifications to bring it up to DOT spec. (think $$$$) and then go through the title process.

In a nutshell...

-H-

zimm

Expedition Leader
Hltoppr said:
Well,

Maybe. It would have to be a listed vehicle that the USDOT says is legal to be imported (I don't think so...no airbags.) If it is listed, it would have to be imported by/to a registered importer, who would then make the appropriate modifications to bring it up to DOT spec. (think $$$$) and then go through the title process.

In a nutshell...

-H-

and that would be no.

zimm

Expedition Leader
gary in ohio said:
Bring it in as an offroad vehicle or show vehicle. YOu could never get an onroad title for it.

i think if it comes in under a visa, it gotta leave.

Maryland 110

Adventurer
The off road, show, event entry is for 6 mos only, not permanent. Graham nailed it. She could bring it in for a year as diplomats do. The bond (to insure the truck leaves with you) that would need to be posted would make it prohibitively expensive. Since the engines in all Defender's (rover diesels) past 97 are not EPA appoved engines, and the truck wouldn't meet DOT air bag requirements, its virtually impossible to bring the truck into compliance so that it could stay. There are a couple of importers that handle special military imports for our armed forces. These importers are given the ability to import a couple of non-compliant trucks a year. Back in the late 80's early 90's Rovers North was able to bring in a few 130's through some sort of similar loop hole. There is a company in RI called Land Rover Special Vehicles that is rumored to have this ability currently. Pretty sure they will only use it to bring in a brand new one for resale though.

Doug
www.dividingcreekroverimports.com

seriessearcher

Adventurer
East Coast Rovers

They have a great write up on the subject and seem to have the most information on what is legal.

I would look their site over as they site the actual import rules with links to their source.

Although it would be nice to dream about a 130 with say a 109 vin and title :)

Not that I would ever do anything like that. It would be illegal. :violent-smiley-031:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles