Airstream Expedition trailers. History lesson

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Now that we have a "trailer" section I thought I would add something that some people might find interesting.

Most people look at Airstream campers as old retired "rich peoples" travel trailers. In a way it has become that but that is not it's origins.

A few years ago My wifes father passed and we inherited his 1959 Airstream Caravanner S. We have been restoring it ever since. Its an amazing trailer that has its history deep in Aircraft construction. Its amazing in the fact that its is 22ft, it sleeps 4, has a full Galley, Wet bath, Reefer, 40 gallon Air over water tank and has a dry weight of only 2750lb.

Wally Byam, the Founder of Airstream, had a much different view of his trailers. Wally was a lawyer that loved traveling. He had true "Wanderlust". His start came from a Kit trailer he designed and sold the plans for through a DIY magazine he published after finding a set of plans that he published were flawed and he redesigned them. History available here. http://www.airstream.com/company/history.html

Later as he had requests not for plans or kits but ready go product that lead to the design of the 1936 "Clipper", the first trailer that is the famed rounded Aircraft style body we all think off when we hear "Airstream".

Wally meant for them to be enjoyed and used to explore. He use to organize trips or "Caravans" all over the world, Egypt, Singapore, Guatemala, all over Mexico just to name a few places. Our Coach is one of the units specially built for one of these trips. We have not documented what trip but it does have the placards that indicate it was on one.

The numbers are something always asked about. They are the registration number of the member of The Wally Byam Caravan Club International (WBCCI) http://www.wbcci.org Most people think they are the number of the trailer but members will keep the number through several trailers in many cases. There are published documents that can track those numbers back to the member from the beginning of the club. Unfortunately we do not know the original numbers for our coach and the SN# was not registered with the member so we have not had luck searching that way.

I thought that the following Quote had merit on this site because the ideas reflect that of may of this sites members.

I present to you "Wally Byam's Creed".

"In the heart of these words is an entire life's dream. To those of you who find in the promise of these words your promise, I bequeath this creed... my dream belongs to you."

To place the great wide world at your doorstep for you who yearn to travel with all the comforts of home.

To provide a more satisfying, meaningful way of travel that offers complete travel independence, wherever and whenever you choose to go or stay.

To keep alive and make real an enduring promise of high adventure and faraway lands... of rediscovering old places and new interests.

To open a whole world of new experiences... a new dimension in enjoyment where travel adventure and good fellowship are your constant companions.

To encourage clubs and rallies that provide an endless source of friendships, travel fun and personal expressions.

To lead caravans wherever the four winds blow... over twinkling boulevards, across trackless deserts... to the traveled and untraveled corners of the earth.

To play some part in promoting international goodwill and understanding among the peoples of the world through person-to-person contact.

To refine and perfect our product by continuous travel-testing over the highways and byways of the world.

To strive endlessly to stir the venturesome spirit that moves you to follow a rainbow to its end... and thus make your travel dreams come true.

- Wally Byam

Below are some pictures from some of the caravans Wally lead.
The teardrop trailer is the oldest "Airstream" Dr. H.W. Holman and wife Thelma with the oldest existing Airstream. This 'torpedo trailer' was built from plans supplied by the Airstream company in 1935. It is still on the road today and brought to many Airstream events by Dr. Holmans grandson.

Yes that is JFK when JFK and LBJ visited White sands. The local dealer rounded up several coaches to be used. I actually helped Identify one of the coaches and got the current owners hooked up with The VAC Historian. Unfortunaly its not the one from the picture but it was there and JFK and LBJ did spend some time in it.
Most of these pictures are from the Vintage Airstream Club at http://www.airstream.net/index.html

Attachments

• 1950s_wally_01.jpg
    1950s_wally_01.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 891
  • torpedo.jpg
    torpedo.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 101
  • caravan10.jpg
    caravan10.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 500
  • kennedy.jpg
    kennedy.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 100
  • pyramid.jpg
    pyramid.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2,735
  • caravan4.jpg
    caravan4.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 109
  • sphinxes.jpg
    sphinxes.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 95
  • rock_arch.jpg
    rock_arch.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
I have a 1960 Airstream Bambi 16'. You need to keep your eye on the water system, mine was a 16 gal aluminum air over water tank. The aluminum will corrode & eventually leak creating a mess. I had to replace my original with a poly tank & an on demand system, much easier.

Congrats on your aquisition.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
awalter said:
I have a 1960 Airstream Bambi 16'. You need to keep your eye on the water system, mine was a 16 gal aluminum air over water tank. The aluminum will corrode & eventually leak creating a mess. I had to replace my original with a poly tank & an on demand system, much easier.

Congrats on your aquisition.

Yep they will cause BIG problems if they fail. I need to find somebody with a Bore scope and take a good look in it. It was still in regular use till just a few months before we brought it home. My Father-in-law actually tapped the cap and put a spigot on it and made a gender bender so he could hook it to the water.

Right now the tank is in the garage. We did a shell off floor replacement everything is out of it at the moment. Almost finished with a rewire and I can get the inner shell back in.

Are you on www.airstreamforums.com ? I am 59Toaster there, My wife is Chilipepper.

awalter

Grim Reaper,

No I'm not on that forum, in fact this forum & 4wdtrips are the only ones I frequent.

My trailer is not much for polish or show & tell. I take it offroad a couple of times a year.

I've had to replace my axle, door handle/latch, hot water heater, fridge, toilet/black water tank & drapes/upholstery.

Other modifications include altering the tongue so I could mount a spare tire & moving the battery inside under the front seat & adding an inverter.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
awalter said:
Grim Reaper,

No I'm not on that forum, in fact this forum & 4wdtrips are the only ones I frequent.

My trailer is not much for polish or show & tell. I take it offroad a couple of times a year.

I've had to replace my axle, door handle/latch, hot water heater, fridge, toilet/black water tank & drapes/upholstery.

Other modifications include altering the tongue so I could mount a spare tire & moving the battery inside under the front seat & adding an inverter.

Do know what that coach is worth in near original condition?

Bambi's are the most sought after of all the coaches. They are the holly grail of Airstreams.

Even in rough but road able shape it would easily fetch $5k on Ebay. In any kind of good shape it could take $15k.

here is a restored 61 with a $24k buy it now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE...020QQitemZ300005158141QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

One in ok shape that bid up to $7600.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961...hZ002QQitemZ4652171064QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This is a fun site. http://www.vintageairstream.com/ hit the archives on the right. It has a collection of photos for almost every model through 78.

Here is a fun thing as well.
Ricky Rocket from Poison even has one.
http://www.rikkirockett.com/rides/airstream/airstream_all.htm

Might want to get it appraised and insure accordingly.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Cool info! My neighbors use to have one, they converted it to a mobile coffee house complete with a steaming coffee cup on the roof, seems like that would send tingles down your spine! None the less, cool info!

awalter

A very cool book A a must have for Airstream enthusiasts is:
AIRSTREAM The History of the Land Yacht by Bryan Burkhart & David Hunt ISBM 0-8118-2471-3
Chronicle Books

awalter

Grim Reaper said:
Do know what that coach is worth in near original condition?

Bambi's are the most sought after of all the coaches. They are the holly grail of Airstreams.

Even in rough but road able shape it would easily fetch $5k on Ebay. In any kind of good shape it could take $15k.

Including my purchase of the unit in 1/93, the upgrades & modifications, I've got about $12k invested. I've probably spent another $2500 on maintenance, tires & batteries over the last 13 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles