Offroad Teardrop - SawTooth XL

Rippin'AV

Adventurer
Just read through the entire thread...epic build man! Congrats on getting her finished through all the ups and downs. Awesome to read through the build and see it completed. And now seeing you get started on v. 2.0. Sub'd to see that as well! Hopefully when I start building my trailer it will look and function half as good as yours. Cheers!

stomperxj

Explorer
Just read through the entire thread...epic build man! Congrats on getting her finished through all the ups and downs. Awesome to read through the build and see it completed. And now seeing you get started on v. 2.0. Sub'd to see that as well! Hopefully when I start building my trailer it will look and function half as good as yours. Cheers!

2.0 should be pretty cool but I'm a little biased :) It's going to be a lot bigger and a lot more comfortable. The design has been done for some time... just waiting on funds to accumulate and with a wife and 3 teenagers its a little slow going. I'll be starting a build thread for sure when I get started. I'm hoping by spring time but we'll see how it goes...

Just curious if this ever sold and/or what happened to it. I dig the snot out of that design. As if I needed anything else added to my "projects before I die" list.

As far as I know it sold. He deleted the ad. I sent him a message on Facebook to see if he got the name of the new owner.

Plans for the SXL will be available soon on my website. In the final stages now... just in case anyone was interested

DanCooper

Adventurer
Plans for the SXL will be available soon on my website. In the final stages now... just in case anyone was interested

The plans are now for sale. I'm pretty excited to receive my set, even though I can't start building until this Spring (my wife says I must finish rebuilding a motorcycle she insisted I buy before I can start another project).

Thanks for getting these completed, Jess. Hours of fun on the horizon.

stomperxj

Explorer
The plans are now for sale. I'm pretty excited to receive my set, even though I can't start building until this Spring (my wife says I must finish rebuilding a motorcycle she insisted I buy before I can start another project).

Thanks for getting these completed, Jess. Hours of fun on the horizon.

Thanks again Dan. Let me know if you have questions or need anything-

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Thanks again Dan. Let me know if you have questions or need anything-

Couple general questions whose answers might be of interest to prospective customers....

How many man-hours from start to finish, in a best guess generalization of course. Some can fab like a boss, others not so much, but a general build time with the average guy in mind. Might help folks decide if they want to take it on.

Is there a bill of materials in there? I'm guessing yes, but bears asking.

In the same vein, a pricing breakdown for the materials list? I realize prices change over time, but maybe an "average cost for widget X as of this date" might also come in handy for folks weighing the idea of DIY.

Any specialty tools required beyond normal hand tools, even power hand tools. I wouldn't call a router a specialty tool, but if it turns out I'd need a $1k worth of tubing bender, I might put that in the specialty category. Just an example.

I know I like the snot out of that little camper and I'd be on that like white on rice if I didn't have too many in process projects already. I've never done a trailer/camper and think it would be fun if it weren't for the unfinished crap I already have. Can't wait to see your rendition of 2.0.

stomperxj

Explorer
Couple general questions whose answers might be of interest to prospective customers....

How many man-hours from start to finish, in a best guess generalization of course. Some can fab like a boss, others not so much, but a general build time with the average guy in mind. Might help folks decide if they want to take it on.

Is there a bill of materials in there? I'm guessing yes, but bears asking.

In the same vein, a pricing breakdown for the materials list? I realize prices change over time, but maybe an "average cost for widget X as of this date" might also come in handy for folks weighing the idea of DIY.

Any specialty tools required beyond normal hand tools, even power hand tools. I wouldn't call a router a specialty tool, but if it turns out I'd need a $1k worth of tubing bender, I might put that in the specialty category. Just an example.

I know I like the snot out of that little camper and I'd be on that like white on rice if I didn't have too many in process projects already. I've never done a trailer/camper and think it would be fun if it weren't for the unfinished crap I already have. Can't wait to see your rendition of 2.0.

1. I spent 350+ hours building mine but I was being anal about it and it was a prototype.
2. Yes... sort of. I have an estimated material list. Hard to nail down 100% due to a few factors like waste and tools used.
3. Hard to nail down due to different markets, the use of second hand materials plus the fact that I finished mine so long ago. I had $2500+ in my original build but I'm confident that it could be done cheaper.
4. Depends on what you consider specialty. There is a tool list in the plans as well. Nothing out of the ordinary was needed. Biggest thing is if you are building your frame or having a shop build it. You'd obviously need a welder to do so. I will add a tool list to my website. Here is the list I compiled:

General hand tools
End wrenches
Socket set
Screwdrivers
Putty knifes
Hand saw
Imperial tape measure
Table saw
Circular saw
Jig saw
Router with various bits (top and bottom flush trim, round over)
Pneumatic stapler
Cord/cordless drill, drill index & various bits
Spade bits and/or forstner bits
Sander & various grits of sandpaper
Spring clamps
Locking "C" pliers (Vise Grips)
C clamps or bar clamps

This trailer is a couple clicks up on the skill meter but with patience and attention to detail it can be built by anyone. I had virtually no experience in building anything out of wood when I started this project.

Thanks for the reply and comments.

The next trailer build will hopefully start in the spring of 2016. Should be an entertaining build-

It still blows me away that this build is so popular. This thread is well over 760,000 views and still climbing.

Thanks for all the support and interest
Jess

tgreening

Expedition Leader
In a sea of what was pretty much same-o same-o, you came up with a very unique exterior profile. What goes inside these things is all pretty standard stuff so the one area a person can shine is the outside. Yours shines very bright in that respect.

Now enough of the "aw shucks" and just own it. "I da Man, I da Man". :)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
The next trailer build will hopefully start in the spring of 2016. Should be an entertaining build-

It still blows me away that this build is so popular. This thread is well over 760,000 views and still climbing.

Thanks for all the support and interest
Jess

Still one of my favorite off-road Tear Drop trailers ever. Apparently it is a popular design with lots of other people too!

stomperxj

Explorer
In a sea of what was pretty much same-o same-o, you came up with a very unique exterior profile. What goes inside these things is all pretty standard stuff so the one area a person can shine is the outside. Yours shines very bright in that respect.

Now enough of the "aw shucks" and just own it. "I da Man, I da Man". :)

Thanks tgreening :) I appreciate the nice comments.

Still one of my favorite off-road Tear Drop trailers ever. Apparently it is a popular design with lots of other people too!

Thanks Greg :)

alpha1

hello i am new on the forum thanks great info, i am building a bug out camper for mi ATV king quad 750 , i am using this plan to help build mine , of course i had to change some configuration (measurements) but the idea is to maximize the overall with and length to the ATV some mods i have made are an independent suspension , under car-edge skid plate. front and top cargo rack and more ,, keep up the info and if you have more pics it will be great thanks again Mike. from St Hubert Quebec Canada.

stomperxj

Explorer
Love this build
Thanks!

hello i am new on the forum thanks great info, i am building a bug out camper for mi ATV king quad 750 , i am using this plan to help build mine , of course i had to change some configuration (measurements) but the idea is to maximize the overall with and length to the ATV some mods i have made are an independent suspension , under car-edge skid plate. front and top cargo rack and more ,, keep up the info and if you have more pics it will be great thanks again Mike. from St Hubert Quebec Canada.

This thread contains all the good pictures but I do have a photobucket album with a few more in it: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/stomperxj/library/SawTooth XL?sort=3&page=1

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Hi Jess. I've been wondering how you have been getting on and thought you must be getting good use out of the trailer. Great to see you are getting great reward and feedback.

I doubt it is possible to build the "perfect" trailer on the first go. It's just a bugger it takes so much effort to learn the bugs. At least you got in and got it done and in the process learnt a lot and taught us a lot. Well done mate and continued success to you. Stay in touch. Can't wait to see ST2. :victory:

Where is this exactly?! love the trailer

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Nice! Glad to see your getting the fun out of it, after all the blood sweat and tears. Can't wait to see hat ya do for round II.

Update just got through all the pics, WOW! You planned out an awesome route. The pics are outstanding. Makes me wish my family and I would have been follwing y'all. This one is post card perfect:

sm-0081.jpg

Where is this exactly, love the trailer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94