Observer
Latches:
09042008%20007.jpg

Wheel upgrade:
09042008%20010.jpg

Ready to go
09042008%20012.jpg

Test Drive:
This time when it followed me to work it was on its own wheels and not in the back of the truck.
090508%20001.jpg

We are going to a local state park tonight to spend the weekend.

I still need to:
-Mount Spare
-Aquire/mount Gas/water cans

Atticus_1354

Adventurer
Good looking trailer, but why did you go for such a long tongue? Are you considering swapping the ball for a more offroad style connection?

bigwalton

Observer
I imagine he's off enjoying the tent/trailer at the state park :D

I have a normal short tongue on my Bantam and it's a PITA to back up. Longer tongue makes it easier. I'm thinking about copying his idea on the coupler for that reason.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The TrailBlazer in my driveway came to me with an extendable tongue. I've yet to use it extended as even my 91 Suburban can back it up fairly easily unextended. My friend Ruben built the trailer's frame for my friend Rod (RIP) back about '94-'95 with this feature. There is about 4 feet of extension available. I've long thought to drill a few intermediate holes.
TB-TongueExtended.jpg

I think the reason the extending feature hasn't been used very often is that the std length is a pretty good length.
IMG_0269.jpg

Atticus_1354

Adventurer
ntsqd said:

That is a pretty cool setup. I can see how the backing up issue could be a problem for some people. I just thought it was odd to have a really long tongue on an offroad trailer. But if he doesn't mind sacrificing the clearance to make it more comfortable I can appreciate that.

JJonesee

Observer
I have towed all sorts of trailers with jeeps. In my experience the wheelbase dimension on the tow vehicle should be equal to or less than the coupler to axle dimension of the trailer. That being said - I have yet to drag this off-road. To be honest - I want a lock-n-roll. But my budget wont allow the $180-$200 that a $8 2" coupler will accomplish for 80% of my towing at this point. The 2" heavy wall tubing was something I had. I think the length was about 3'.
I want to mount the spare, and two gas cans on the tong. The two water cans will mount in front of the fenders. It would be nice to still be able to open the tailgate and tire carrier.
090708%20%2814%29.jpg

I dont have a problem backing it. The length was based on the material I had. It will take 10 min to cut it down. From this it looks like I can cut it down about 8-10".

Last edited:

Atticus_1354

Adventurer
JJonesee said:
I dont have a problem backing it. The length was based on the material I had. It will take 10 min to cut it down. From this it looks like I can cut it down about 8-10".

That makes plenty of sense. It really is a nice looking trailer.

JJonesee

Observer
Took it on a 300 mile round trip this weekend to a state park. I am familiar with camping, hiking etc, the wife has very little experience. She had a blast.
Tows and tracks great.
090708%20%2812%29.jpg

090608%20%2824%29.jpg

090508.jpg

Jack system worked - but was tedious. Be nice to have a jack for each corner.

090508%20%2810%29.jpg

JJonesee

Observer
Things to finish up:
-Mount spare (permanent)
-Mount gas/water cans
- I think I will do a spring over to get more tire clearance. It works now, but if I go off road it may get into the fender. Loaded down it sat a little low.
-Fix this:
090708%20%283%29.jpg

The traveling cover is pretty worn from the previous owner. I have a tarp under it now, but it just looks terrible.

Last edited:

JJonesee

Observer
I would like to say I owe my inspiration to this website and JPFreek.

If you have not seen the latest issue, they cover several expedition rigs and trips in this issue.

JPFreek Summer 2008

Thank you all for your comments and praise.

I can see this getting addicting.

JJonesee

Observer
Storm set me back - but I did manage to finish up the brakes, and clean up the original reflector housings. With no power I just kept soaking and working the brake cable till it came free. Bolted it up, and it works great. Once power came back on I finished up the spare tire rack, with two jerry can holders.
Rack:
092008%20%288%29.jpg

Rack is built to fit up to a 33" tire, bolts on, but will also fit Jerry cans once I swap the axle. (no need for a trailer specific spare at that point.)

092008%20%289%29.jpg

Ordered Scepter Cans.. We will see if they actually show up.
092008%20%286%29.jpg

Sorry for the night shot..
092008%20%2810%29.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94