Turn-Key SAR Vehicles

blueeyeddevil

Observer
I'm checking the "market" for a turn-key SAR vehicle builder/company. My business partner and I are thinking about supplying the market for advanced up-armored and SAR vehicles for D.O.D./ Law Enforcement and guys like us. Please let me know what you all think.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
blueeyeddevil said:
I'm checking the "market" for a turn-key SAR vehicle builder/company. My business partner and I are thinking about supplying the market for advanced up-armored and SAR vehicles for D.O.D./ Law Enforcement and guys like us. Please let me know what you all think.

There is a market, but it's not easy to crack. Especially with companies like Sportsmobile now stepping in to fill the void.

http://www.sportsmobile.com/6_news.html

Pete

Harald Hansen

Explorer
The market for up-armoured vehicles is also tough to get into. The demand for up-armoured and mine resistant vehicles have been huge since the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts started. A lot of manufacturers big and small have stepped up to fill the demands of militaries and contractors. You'll be competing with everyone from small mom-and-pop type operations to General Dynamics and BAE Systems.

The one important thing to have is contacts. If you can get a retired high-level officer or experienced sales representative from another firm on board, you have half a chance to make it. I don't know about LE sales, but I suspect it's pretty much the same thing.

But good luck anyways!

I work at a defence contractor who supplies equipment for armoured vehicles.

spunky2268

Adventurer
Stock is best...At least in Spunky's opinion.

This is my opinion, so you get what you paid for... Ask yourself "What does vehicle dependant expeditionary travel depend on most?" I say it's the ability to repair or replace something that's broken with a minimum of fuss. The last thing we want to do when operating in a search area is to have something break down and have to sit and wait for a custom part to come in, or worse yet, be out a $50000+ vehicle because we had to trash it due to damage.

Our task force uses commercial, off-the-shelf vehicles to get where we're going. A Chevy or Ford pickup with a crew cab and a cap on the back is very versatile. Kept empty of custom gear, they can be customized "on the fly" to meet the demands of the mission. We've worked out ways to set up our trucks as improvised ambulances, mobile command posts, rescue trucks, sleeping platforms, K-9 transports, you name it. They are inexpensive and easy to fix, at least anywhere here in the States. The only thing of significance we've added is a satellite communications and tracking system and wiring the bed for 12V power and communications. The ruggedness is built in by the manufacturer and comes at a reasonable cost.

Take it a step further. Our cargo transports also come with a minimum of modification. We use International Truck and Engine box trucks and Volvo tractors. A little more difficult to repair, but still stock and versitile. Our Logistics guys (the best in the business, in my humble opinion) are in-process of providing HVAC and lighting to the cargo spaces on these vehicles. They'll have them set up so we can do everything from sleep to perform surgery in them, with a minumum of cost. These vehicles are only slightly modified when they get to us, to include area lighting, satellite comms and tracking, extra spare tire racks, and under belly boxes for personal gear. Please keep in mind that the cargo vehicles are not used primarily for searches, but do take up positions in forward areas and may be tailored to the mission at hand.

I'm sure you'll find a few buyers in a niche market of this type. LE and DoD would probably be good customers. But give me a simple platform that I know will get me there and back, and I'll make it suit the mission you hand me.

Spunky

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
For SAR usage...well, it's budget. We've been trying to get a dedicated quick response rig for our tech rescue team for years....

Money seems to be a lot tighter, and tougher to come by for SAR teams...even if we're really busy we ususally get passed up for funding, with fire departments being priority.

-H-

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Hltoppr said:
For SAR usage...well, it's budget. We've been trying to get a dedicated quick response rig for our tech rescue team for years....

Money seems to be a lot tighter, and tougher to come by for SAR teams...even if we're really busy we ususally get passed up for funding, with fire departments being priority.

-H-

You hit it right there. With the exception of the occassional FEMA/DHS money that was available (and now mostly drying up) most SAR teams in the US are staffed by volunteers that, if lucky, get a little bit of money from equally cash strapped Sheriff's Dept.

- DH

blueeyeddevil

Observer
Thanks for you guy's honest and thoughtful posts.
My business partner works for Dyncorp and is one helluva logistics guy,driver,and decorated USMC. We already have some contacts and interested private parties.
I'm in hopes that this thread will pick up the attention of some of the most seasoned off-road travelers and SAR guys in the world. That's why I spend several hours a day trolling through topics and posts on this awesome forum and website. trying to see what truly works and what is "mallcruiser" garbage flash, and always innovative ideas.
I should have been a little more clear about the "level" of customized components on these vehicles. One could order all of the bells and whistles, but mainly we are thinking of upgrading the weak links from the factory.
Suspension: shocks and bump stops, wheels and tires, minimal lifts- (0"-3")
Body Protection: bumpers, racks, boxes, rock bars, etc.
Electronics: intercom, SAT,GPS, Laptop, etc.
Recovery Gear: Winches, jacks, tools, power tanks, etc.

On top of incorporating all of the traditional things similar to Sportsmobile and others.
One of the major problems with the armored trucks according to the people I speak to, is the added weight of armor and the lack of compensation for that weight, concerning traction and becoming stuck in the notorious "roads" in the middle east and other TWC's.

I realize you guys are probably thinking that just sounds like the local hack-n-slash, discoball truck shop down the street. Please use better judgment, and understand that I won't tip my hand too far from the vest just yet.
Thanks,
Josh

spunky2268

Adventurer
Devil,

Might I suggest you check out "Get Off the X" forums? They have a Driving thread over there that's pretty good and you can get some good input from the BTDT types. It sounds to me like you want to lean toward the LE and DoD side of things and "the X" is a good place for that. I'll be looking forward to seeing what comes from your barn for the Expo side, as well.

Spunky

Fireaxe

Looking For A Turnkey SAR Vehicle

If your still searching for a Turnkey SAR Truck take a look at what the US Border patrol has started to use. Its the Ford F250 truck. Its spec has a a upgraded suspension. The Border patrol has some great expo type trucks out there and they are operating anywhere from 12 to 24 hrs a day.
I am presently looking at requesting one for our Wildand Division with the Fire Department. The Rangers I work with are also looking at purching them too.

mrstang01

Adventurer
spunky2268 said:
Our task force uses commercial, off-the-shelf vehicles to get where we're going. A Chevy or Ford pickup with a crew cab and a cap on the back is very versatile. Kept empty of custom gear, they can be customized "on the fly" to meet the demands of the mission. We've worked out ways to set up our trucks as improvised ambulances, mobile command posts, rescue trucks, sleeping platforms, K-9 transports, you name it. They are inexpensive and easy to fix, at least anywhere here in the States. The only thing of significance we've added is a satellite communications and tracking system and wiring the bed for 12V power and communications. The ruggedness is built in by the manufacturer and comes at a reasonable cost.

Take it a step further. Our cargo transports also come with a minimum of modification. We use International Truck and Engine box trucks and Volvo tractors. A little more difficult to repair, but still stock and versitile. Our Logistics guys (the best in the business, in my humble opinion) are in-process of providing HVAC and lighting to the cargo spaces on these vehicles. They'll have them set up so we can do everything from sleep to perform surgery in them, with a minumum of cost. These vehicles are only slightly modified when they get to us, to include area lighting, satellite comms and tracking, extra spare tire racks, and under belly boxes for personal gear. Please keep in mind that the cargo vehicles are not used primarily for searches, but do take up positions in forward areas and may be tailored to the mission at hand.

Spunky

Pics of these vehicles? They sound really cool!

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier