Pimp my Roof Tent

articulate

Expedition Leader
Welcome to this exciting episode of Pimp My Roof Tent.

Just kidding. Somewhat. Check it.

I took Pat's idea and ran with it. LEDs inside the Eezi-Awn (thread).

For $50 at IKEA, you can get this package of LEDs that has 4 strips about 12" long and all connected to a single switch. Totally sweet.
You've got to cut cord to remove the transformer, but then you have an easy 12-volt jobbie.

inside_tent2.jpg

A closer look, you'll see that I've got two of the strips attached in the center, and then I've attached the other two separately at either end of the tent. You might recognize the reading material:
inside_tent1.jpg

Ah! Hanging in the corner? Yes, a 12-volt fan. I've needed one of these for years (here's a thread), and this past weekend it proved its mettle during the still nights near Patagonia/Sonoita, Arizona.

Eezi-Awn is pimped. Both Saturday and Sunday evenings, we had to sit out a couple of storms. The lights made life easy in the tent. We played with our daughter for 2 hours in there, and I believe that the lights and the fan helped make that scenario doubly comfortable in what could have been a bummer situation.

Your turn: Pimp your Roof Top Tent.
Holla

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
articulate said:
Your turn: Pimp your Roof Top Tent.
Holla

Uh....my RTT is still sitting in the spare bedroom, having never been opened since I bought it. Kinda hard to pimp it out if it doesn't have a home yet....:eek:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Awesome! How does the wiring run in/out of the tent? Did you have to seal the area after you ran it through? Pics?

pangaea

Adventurer
That's a pretty sweet set up. A huge step up from a Petzl headlamp. Any chance you'd be willing to show some detail pics of the wiring and plumbing?

articulate

Expedition Leader
Ah much questions about the wiring. Let's see if this will help. The bottom line is that the wire just runs right through the flap at the hinge. My initial testing has been satisfactory.

IMG_3251fixed.jpg

IMG_3250fixed.jpg

There's a junction in the main power wire where each of the 4 LED strips plugs into for some juice. I have each of these wires strapped off to the aluminum tent supports. Here are a few photos:

IMG_3249fixed.jpg

IMG_3246fixed.jpg

IMG_3245fixed.jpg

I think it would be best to drill a hole in the bottom of the tent on the half that's fixed to the rig. However, I'm a little afraid of the switch getting depressed and turning on the lights when I fold up the tent. Needs a different switch or a cover for it maybe.

This final photo looks a little spooky, but all the wires are strapped off and out of the way of the moving parts of the hinge. I'm open to suggestions here, as I've even considered drilling holes in the tubing and running the wires through there for cleanliness. Cleanliness is holiness, I hear:
IMG_3247fixed.jpg

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I did basically the same thing you did as far as where the wires come out, but I added enough wire to the end of the original and then put on a cigarette lighter adapter. When I am in camp mode, I simply plug in the cigarette adapter, and the lights have power. Of course, my sockets are powered all the time without turning on the ignition.

When I am done, I pull the wire and adapter back inside the tent and store it in one of the side pockets. Works great and is totally transferable to another vehicle (we sometimes use the RTT on my wifes vehicle)

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
I wish I saw this thread two days ago. I just wired up and installed some RV lights inside my pickup cap, and they love to drain the truck battery flat in a matter of a couple hours. This would have been a much better mod.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Mark, you rock! I think I have some of those lights hanging around at home. :D

Please post photos of other ikea accessories with strange names that you have successfully integrated into your camp setup!

Cheers,
Graham

articulate

Expedition Leader
grahamfitter said:
Please post photos of other ikea accessories with strange names that you have successfully integrated into your camp setup!

Cheers,
Graham
Yes, I love their names of products. Perhaps the PÅTÅR makes a good camp coffee pot? Sure does look snazzy. Designed by the brilliant Magnus Lundström of Ikea's spice mill fame - not the other one.
25652_PE098721_S3.jpg

ChrisInVT

Adventurer
Now that I think about it, I have a 2.1 million color underbody kit for a car that's been sitting in my garage for about two years now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier