Overland Training: Educating the Adventure Traveler

gjackson

FRGS
New Courses added

For Colorado we are now offering:

Introduction to Expedition Photography (OT125) on Sept 28.

and

Advanced Expedition Photography (OT425) on Nov 8-9

Both will be taught by Brian Slobe. Here are some examples of Brian's work as a teaser:

Bots-063.jpg

Bots-087.jpg

Bots-054.jpg

cheers

nwoods

Expedition Leader
gjackson said:
Nathan,

Where are you located? Let me know and I'll email WFA courses close to you.

cheers

I am in Orange County, California. Right near Disneyland. Very close to your Claremont Overland Training location.

Willman

Congrads on the training idea guys!

I know Scott B. is a busy guy.....but now he will even be busyer!

:camping:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Fantastic...

Gents,
You never cease to amaze me with your new and innovative ideas in the field of Overlanding. If the course offered at last year's Expedition Trophy were any indication of the material that will be covered, the students are in for some great classes. Well done :bowdown:

gjackson

FRGS
Hello all,

Things are expanding rapidly! We just added dates for the Expedition Women's course in Arizona. This is a 3-day course.

OT219

A weekend workshop where women learn Overland Essentials, from basic trail spotting and vehicle recovery, proper clothing for the environment, staying fit and clean, food preparation and storage, trail etiquette and awareness, basic first aid, water usage and conservation, and the importance of positive group dynamics. Tread Lightly/Leave no Trace principles will be applied.

Dates are:

Arizona: 10-12 Oct.
Arizona: 14-16 Nov.
Arizona: 5-7 Dec.

The course is taught by Kristina Hall who does an amazing job with the instruction.

cheers

haven

Expedition Leader
Beyond cool! Congratulations!

Does the tuition fee include use of a vehicle, or does the student
provide his or her own? Can people share a vehicle, or should
each participant have their own? How about meals and lodging?

Chip Haven

gjackson

FRGS
Chip,

Generally I think it's better if people use their own vehicle, and that's what we encourage. Having said that we can provide vehicles on request for an additional fee. Lunch is provided, but lodging isn't. Amenities and options will grow as business expands. :sombrero:

cheers!

travel dodge

Adventurer
So the first classes in Colorado are the photo classes? It looks like I have the days off and would be very interested in getting some formal photo instruction as I have not had any since high school. Any idea on cost? Is it possible to camp on site were the classes are offered? What gear should we bring, cameras, lens, computers ect.. Do we need to sign up in advance?
thanks

oh found the web site looking forward to the class

Last edited:

gjackson

FRGS
Travel Dodge,

Yes, you should sign up for the class beforehand as space in limited. shoot an email to:

admissions(at)overlandtraining.com

You should bring your own camera. There are no crazy lens requirements, this is aimed at teaching you to do better with what you have.

cheers

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I just completed the 2-day Wilderness First Aid course through WMI, which is one of the required prerequisites for obtaining the Overland certification.

The class was fun and very informative. A little light on field treatment & remedy's, but very good on identifying severity of injuries, knowing when to evacuate or continue on, and patient stabilization techniques.

I also learned a lot about how to fine tune my onboard first aid kit, and just how much of what I had been previously taught is wrong, outdated, or simply not applicable out in the wilderness (more than 1 hour from a trained First Responder).

Though this course was something I didn't really want to do, I'm grateful for Overland University in requiring it. I found it very worthwhile, and a good stepping stone into more advanced training in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94