Overland Training: Educating the Adventure Traveler

Scott Brady

Founder

Graham Jackson and I have been a bit quiet on the forum as of late, and for good reason. We have been building an Overland / Vehicle-dependent Expedition curriculum for adventure travelers desiring a structured, lock-step academic program for preparing themselves to push beyond the borders of their city, their state and eventually their country.

From that effort, Overland Training and the Overland Institute was born:
www.overlandtraining.com

Training has always been a part of Expeditions West, and we have principally offered training to NGOs, SOCOM and custom training and consulting to individual travelers. This commercial experience, and the experience we have gained during our own travels facilitated the development of a comprehensive curriculum, which we called "Overland Certified". In addition to the Overland Certified™ program, we have assembled a series of elective and advanced training courses ranging from Advanced Field Repair to Advanced Videography.

The Overland Certified program includes the following modules, which can either be taken individually, or in a week-long session. They will typically be offered in Colorado and Arizona.

Overland Certified:

Module 1-Vehicle Operations; 4-wheeled vehicles

Students will become familiar with vehicle systems and equipment specific to cars and trucks. Significant instruction and practice on driving in dirt and special circumstances that arise in expedition environments. Special attention will be paid to keeping expedition vehicles running in arduous conditions. The training will end with a comprehensive vehicle-recovery segment.

3-day course
6-vehicle max

Colorado: September 5th – 7th, additional dates soon
Arizona: October 14th – 16th

Module 1-Car Vehicle Operations; 4-wheeled vehicles – Women Only

The same as the standard module 1 for 4-wheeled vehicles, but open to women only.

3-day course
6-vehicle max

Module 1-Adv Vehicle Operations; Adventure Motorcycles

Familiarization with motorcycle systems and ergonomics will be covered. Practice in riding at low speed in tight environments and for recovering a stuck motorcycle. As with Module 1-Car, special attention will be placed on keeping motorcycles running under expedition conditions.

3-day course
6-motorcycle max

Arizona: 14th – 16th

Module 2 Equipment Operations

Learn the fundamentals equipment selection from clothing to computer systems. Emphasis placed on how equipment operates to allow intelligent selection for specific conditions. Integrating equipment with your selected vehicle is also covered.

3-day course
8-person max

Arizona: October 23rd – 25th
Colorado: November 1st – 3rd

Module 3 Expedition Logistics

Learn how to get from here to there on land as well as through the international paperwork maze without getting lost. Planning for contingencies, calculating consumption and needs for water and fuel and criteria for tem selection are all covered.

3-day course
6-person max

Arizona: November 8th – 10th
Colorado: November 14th – 16th

Module 4 Cultures, Conservation and Addendums

Learn how to travel and camp making as little impact on the land as possible. Also approaching other cultures and languages will be covered along with additional resources available to the overlander.

3-day course
8-person max

Arizona: November 21st – 23rd
Colorado: November 28th – 30th

Module 5 Requirement: Wilderness First Aid Certification (or equivalent)

In order to receive the overland certificate, it will be necessary for the student to complete the Wilderness First Aid course, typically offered through the Wilderness Medical Institute. These are a three-day course, which prepares the adventurer for basic life support and medical trauma treatment, stabilization and transport.

Module 6 Requirement: HAM Radio License or other Elective

In order to receive the overland certificate, the student will need to provide proof of completion of the HAM technician level license or greater. The requirement can also be satisfied with another Overland Training elective, if the student's travel plans preclude group communications (the same applies for Adventure Motorcycles). Waivers may be granted based upon other research and humanitarian/NFP experiences.

Additional information, pricing and course details are available on our course catalog:

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
We are going to open registration to ExPo member first, with a few cool benefits:

1. All ExPo members who attend a course will receive an Overland Training Alumni hat.

2. The first six to complete the Overland Certified certificate will have a spot reserved for our master trainer program (only offered once per year), allowing you to work as instructors for Overland Training, and apply for various instructor openings and special projects (like testing for Overland Journal, vehicle testing and commercial contracts).

We look forward to meeting up with many of you in the field!

vengeful

Explorer
Scott,

It's really too bad that you hacked my brain waves and stole this idea from me. I was really looking forward to your help in building this. :elkgrin:

Great idea, good luck with the new venture man!

RHINO

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
2. The first six to complete the Overland Certified certificate will have a spot reserved for our master trainer program

having looked at the catalog, what does this entail? all courses or some combination?

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
TACODOC said:
Looks like you'll be needing more Instructors soon! :peepwall:

Yes, we have several instructor positions open at the moment. We are hoping to evaluate competencies, attitude, etc. in the first couple rounds, and then pick from that pool.

gjackson

FRGS
having looked at the catalog, what does this entail? all courses or some combination?

There are six modules that make up the certification. Those are the six that Scott listed in the first post. You can choose either the 4wd module or the adventure motorcycle module for the first. Module six is an elective. We suggest HAM Technician certification for that, but being an elective, other courses can be substituted. Overland Leadership is one example.

Once all six are complete (order not important), then you get the Overland Certification. First six to complete that is what Scott is referring to.

Hope that is more clear?

cheers

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Scott, congrats on another new Division. I noticed on your site you list Claremont, CA as a training Facility. What will be taught there? This would be much closer than both AZ and CO for any training we would be interested in.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Scott,
This sounds REALLY cool!

Couple of questions...
Do you have to take the modules in order? i.e. Are they prerequisites for each other?

Any plan in the future to try and have these classes accredited through a local college?

Now I just have to try and get time off...

taco2go

Explorer
Awesome! Looks like a very comprehensive curriculum.
Arizona and Colorado:( .......I guess some of us will be plugging away at the Institute of Hard Knocks......

gjackson

FRGS
I noticed on your site you list Claremont, CA as a training Facility.

Currently that will be the trailer driving courses. But in the future many of the courses will be offered there.

Do you have to take the modules in order? i.e. Are they prerequisites for each other?

No, modules can be taken in any order.

Any plan in the future to try and have these classes accredited through a local college?

:) All part of the plan. :26_7_2:

cheers

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles