travel trailer as expedition cabin

haven

Expedition Leader
While some may wish to build a custom "cabin" for their overland travel vehicle, others may wish to take a faster and (usually) cheaper approach: Modify a commercially-available travel trailer for use on the back of a 4x4 truck.

Here's a very successful example. Carl Hunter of Vancouver purchased a Bigfoot travel trailer, and configured it to fit on the back of a Fuso FG 4x4 medium truck.

fuso-112.jpg

The trailer started out as a 17 foot model, but after the trailer hitch was removed and the propane tanks relocated, the cabin is about 13 feet long.

The project took only 90 days to design and build. Carl and his wife, Mary, left home shortly thereafter, and used the Bigfoot-Fuso combination as their home on a 25,000 mile journey around the world in 2002. They had no problems with the vehicle.

The Bigfoot trailer is well suited to use as a cabin on an overland vehicle because of its fiberglass construction. The fiberglass is tough, and has enough resilience to resist cracking from the constant vibration caused by travel over rough roads. Because the trailer body is constructed from two large molded pieces (top and bottom), the number of seams is reduced. This makes water leaks less likely than with other types of construction. And fiberglass is cheap and easy to patch in the event of an accident.

Below is a list of manufacturers who make fiberglass travel trailers in North America today. Many of these designs are inspired by the Boler trailer, a Canadian design from the late 1960's.

Bigfoot 25R17 17 foot models
http://www.bigfootrv.com/bigfootrv_travel_trailers_2500.html

Oliver Travel Trailers
http://www.olivertraveltrailers.com

Escape Trailer Industries
http://www.escapetrailer.com

Casita Travel Trailers
http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com

Scamp Trailers
http://www.scamptrailers.com/

Burro Travel Trailers
http://www.burrotrailers.com

Team Trillium Trailers Manufacturing Ltd.
http://www.trilliumtrailers.com

Egg Camper
http://www.eggcamper.com

There were a good number of fiberglass trailer manufacturers in the 1970's and 80s that are no longer in business. Because of the durability of fiberglass, these trailers are still viable, even 30 years after they were built.

If you know of additional fiberglass travel trailers, please let me know.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
I'd like to mention two other travel trailers that should be considered for use as an expedition cabin. These two are manufactured from materials other than fiberglass.

The first is the iconic Airstream, with its aluminum monocoque construction. The 17 foot Safari Sport and the 16 foot Design Within Reach would work well as expedition cabins, once their wheels and trailer hitch are removed.

http://www.airstreamrv.com/airstream_DWR.htm

One European trailer manufacturer is Hymer. Their Eriba Touring line has been popular for 5 decades. Eriba models have a tubular steel frame and a fiberglass skin. The Triton GT series looks to be a good size.

eriba_touring_1.jpg

The Eriba Touring has a pop-up roof section that allows the overall height of the camper to be low when on the road. Because the raised roof section just provides more standing height inside, it can be lowered for additional protection against the elements while sleeping.

Hymer's Forever Young models, introduced in 2008, is a modern interpretation of the Touring model.

http://www.hymer.ag/noframes_101140_details:_forever_young.html

FusoFG

Adventurer
Good ideas Chip, but don't forget to mention Carl mounted the Bigfoot trailer using a 3 point flexible mount.

That may have helped minimize any problems with the trailer's structure, which is not normally subject to twisting stress.

Mobryan

Adventurer
FusoFG said:
Good ideas Chip, but don't forget to mention Carl mounted the Bigfoot trailer using a 3 point flexible mount.

That may have helped minimize any problems with the trailer's structure, which is not normally subject to twisting stress.

I think you underestimate the strength of these trailers. In my ECO, and most of the Boler clones I've seen, the frame is very light weight steel, basically just enough to locate the axle and provide tension from the tounge. All of the lateral and longitudal stability comes from the 2 piece "egg" shell, the frame having the rough rigidity of twice used tin foil.

Now, Carls Bigfoot does use a slightly different body style, but I think that a egg camper would hold up just fine using a traditional 4 point mounting.

That being said, IF you can do a 3 point mount without undo cost or comprimising the COG, why not???

Matt

edit for spelling

Last edited:

FusoFG

Adventurer
Mobryan said:
I think you underestimate the strength of these trailers. In my ECO, and most of the Boler clones I've seen, the frame is very light weight steel, basically just enough to locate the axle and provide tension from the tounge. All of the lateral and longitudal stability comes from the 2 piece "egg" shell, the frame having the rough rigidity of twice used tin foil.

Matt

I'm sure the shell is very rigid and the frame is very light weight.

Because there is only one axle on a trailer the frame and shell are going to move in the same direction as the axle moves when crossing uneven terrain.

But when you attach the shell to a truck that's long enough to carry a 13 foot shell the front axle may tilt in the opposite direction of the rear axle when crossing uneven terrain and the truck will twist. (Read the posts on Jay's F650 Eco Roamer)

And that twist will be transferred to the shell and it will try to twist.

Something has to give. Either the shell is so rigid that it will limit the frame twist and a wheel might lift and loose traction or the shell will twist and something will bend, break, leak, etc.

I think Carl understood that would happen (he's an engineer) and that's why he used a flexible mount when attaching the Bigfoot.

There are a lot of different choices for a flexible mount from rubber pucks, springs on u bolts, air bags, 3 point pivots to 4 point pivots ala Unimog and Unicat.

Tom

chet

island Explorer
I guess but slide in campers made by bigfoot and others have the same construction and 4 point mounting and don't seem to have much of a problem in truck beds that twist alot

fisher205

Explorer
Slide ins need to give also. I have pulled the corners out of my Alaskan, when it was mounted solid. If you see a slide in mounted solid, w/o problems, it hasn't been twisted very hard. I have even broke 3 toppers off road.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Let's Twist Again, Like we did in ...

While the dangers of torsion/twist tend to be overestimated (Overlanders don't generally drive over 4x4 test courses) and the dangers of vibration underestimated (as most Europeans and Americans simply cannot imagine African washboard), a large, rigidly mounted camper is a bad idea.

That is why the use of a complete trailer (as opposed to a slide in) is brilliant. A good trailer is already braced to manage some torsion and probably already has a frame underneath it. This could save a lot of work in the construction of a sub-frame. The only thing left is the work of fabricating the mounting system.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I thought it was time to post an updated picture of my '04 FG / Casita camper that Chip has made reference to. I have been on the road with it since the Spring of 2004. I chose the Casita because of its weight and size. It is narrower than the Bigfoot so it fits within the foot print of the FG. This was a necessity so that I could get it into some of the areas I needed to get to. I designed it to use in my hobby / business of chuckwagon cooking which can take me to some interesting places. I wanted something that would be self contained and that could be used in the boonies or a city parking lot.

HippoTrvlSide.jpg
[/IMG].

One difference from Carl Hunter's Bigfoot is that I have converted the RV wheel wells into storage space. The curb side folds down into a table to provide a place to setup a propane stove. I also added a 100 W solar panel and have a place for a mast for a small vertical wind generator.

HippoFenderTableSSstove.jpg
[/IMG]

The unit has been designed more as work vehicle than a round the world expedition vehicle. The principles are the same.

haven

Expedition Leader
Thanks, Bruce!

Please tell us more about the design of your "quick release" mounting system that lets you remove the camper and use the truck for other purposes when you're not traveling.

That's one serious-looking front bumper! Do you use the space inside for storage?

Chip Haven

kcowyo

ExPo Original
DontPanic42 said:
I thought it was time to post an updated picture of my '04 FG / Casita camper that Chip has made reference to. I have been on the road with it since the Spring of 2004......

HippoTrvlSide.jpg

I looked at Casitas and the other fiberglass small trailers as an option before purchasing my FWC. I was really impressed with the 16' Casita.

Never occurred to me that one could be mounted on a FG. Very unique and original. I really like the looks of this configuration. Hope it is serving you well.

:beer:

DontPanic42

Adventurer
"Quick release" is a relative term. It gets less quick as I add more stuff. The Casita is attached to a subframe which in turn is bolted to the Mitsu frame. Similar to Carl's Bigfoot. Actually, everything is attached to the subframe except the fuel tanks and propane tank. It is attached at six points on each side. In theory, all you have to do is unbolt all the tie down tabs, remove the gas and electric lines, lift up at the subrame, and drive the chassis out from under it. I haven't tried it yet.
Someone had a setup on a tilt bed, roll off car hauler. Can't remember if it was shown here or on the old ExCamper site. It worked real well. I think his turn around time was minutes where mine would be much, much longer.

As far as the bumper goes, hey, this is Texas, everything is bigger. Seriously, I have commercial size fog lights inside so that they are protected from rocks, etc. Also have an air horn in there. Thought about using it for some storage like an axe and shovel, but it is hard to get stuff in and out. Did have a cat take a ride in there once, though. It also doubles as a work platform to clean the windshield, replace wiper blades, and work on the solar panel. There is a step built in each side to make it easier to get up on. It is also heavy enough to be used on "bump" gates. It is far enough out to provide clearance when the cab is tilted. Also great for pushing through brush.

The "egg" shape of the Casita is very stable in cross winds. The new Oliver is of similar size and shape and is doubled hulled so has better insulation than the Casita. Also costs more.
When I was doing a deer camp in the Pecos River country close to old Mexico, I was quite a sight driving the rig across the prairie. I was told it looked like a covered wagon bobbing in and out of the dry creek beds and up and down hills.
So far it has worked out well for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior