Post your Camp Recipe's

blaze one

Adventurer
A healthy alternative to Bacon is TURKEY bacon , I cook this on a open fire , it is very tasty .

If you have a cast iron pie maker , you can make mini pies ( apple , peach ...etc.) with some white bread , and butter . Then just close the pie maker and shove it in a hot coals for 4-6 mins or until golden like grilled cheese sandwiches.

And a nice Rainbow trout fried in a pan with some butter and salt is always a favorite , but I am no where near the desert so that may not apply for most of you . But my fellow BC'er s will confirm .:drool:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
We have plenty of trout in in the mighty SW. One of my favorite recipies for Trout is to just grill it in foil with a little lemon, butter, capers, and diced tomatoes. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Do not skin it or de-head it. Just clean it, prep it wit tomatoes, capers, lemon, butter, salt and pepper, wrap it in foil and grill it for approx. 5 mins each side, or on the coals for about 2 mins each side. The skins and scales help keep the moisture and flavor in. Enjoy!:drool:

P.S. Just a little side note here. I quit hunting and keeping my fishing catch because I could not eat it after I cleaned it. So, I do not hunt anymore, and any fishing I do is catch and release. But, if I buy the fish, or someone cleans it.......GAME ON!!!!!!!

blaze one

Adventurer
I have to try your way this week , i too don't keep many trout or salmon i catch , maybe one or two a year . I basically just wanna to my part in conservation , even though it won't help much .

But anyways..... anyone have any other quick breakfast ideas? Premade Pancake batter is a good idea , I have to give it a try .

datrupr

Expedition Leader
For breakfast I usually buy the "low cholesteral" egg cartons from COSTCO. Mix a little Chorizo or breakfast sausage, onions, and cheese and serve it up in a tortilla with a good salsa and you have some great quick easy breakfast burritos. You can also cook up some hashbrowns or "Simply Potatoes" breakfast potatoes to accompany your burritos.

bootzilla

Adventurer
Scott - I made the Tequila Tomatoes last night - awesome!

A slightly different (and kinda rustic) variation on the steak fajita thing - and I'll admit it, I stole it from Alton Bown on the Food Network - but it is easy and a lot of fun if you are into real charcoal.

What you need: thin Skirt Steak or Flank Steak, Your favorite Marinade, real charcoal fire pit or grill (wood, not the briquettes), tortillas, Peppers and Onions, Foil, Cast Iron Skillet, air compressor with blower nozzle (or a can of air for those of us too poor for an onboard air system).

What you do:

The Meat:
- Marinate steak in a plastic sealed bag and put it in the cooler in the morning (or at least an hour beforehand).
- Get the charcoal going nice and hot. If you are using a grill - take the grate off and throw it away - you won't be needing that.
- When it is going good, take your air hose or can of air, and *gently* blow off any excess ashes on top of the charcoal - we aren't trying to set anything (or anyone ) on fire here, just getting rid of the burnt ashes.
- Get out the skirt steak, and put it directly on the coals - right on top of 'em. let it go for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, then flip it over - if there are any bits of charcoal stuck to the steak - juts wipe 'em off.
- After 1 1/2-2 minutes on the other side, take the steak off and wrap it tightly in foil, then set it aside.

The Veggies:
- Take cast Iron Skillet - same routine - right in the coals.
- Start cuting your peppers and onions.
- When you are done cutting, your skillet should be nice and hot - throw 'em in with a little bit of oil.

The fun part:
- Unwrap steak. Slice. Put it on a tortilla with the veggies. Eat, and enjoy the smoky flavor and nice crusty sear on the meat.

Last edited:

Maddmatt

Explorer
bootzilla said:
- Get out the skirt steak, and put it directly on the coals - right on top of 'em. let it go for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, then flip it over - if there are any bits of charcoal stuck to the steak - juts wipe 'em off.
- After 1 1/2-2 minutes on the other side, take the steak off and wrap it tightly in foil, then set it aside.

QUOTE]

Meat right on the coals, I love it!!:luxhello:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Who Needs a Road

Maddmatt said:
bootzilla said:

Meat right on the coals, I love it!!:luxhello:

That does sound great. For anyone who has read "Who Needs a Road: The Story of the Longest and Last Motor Journey Around the World" by Harold Stephens and Albert Podell will recognize this cooking technique as experience by Steve when he met a rancher in the Australian Outback and mentionnned tha he had been eating "roo" steaks!
I'll have to try this some day!

BajaTaco said:
Hey P, yes, I do use bananas sometimes.. or fresh blueberries (no choc. chips)... or whatever is fresh and tasty and around the kitchen. I love pancakes :D

No choc. chips, sacrilege! We love pancakes too and had some fresh blueberries in our pancakes this weekend.

:chowtime:

Cheers :beer:,
P

Bergger

Explorer
datrupr said:
We have plenty of trout in in the mighty SW. One of my favorite recipies for Trout is to just grill it in foil with a little lemon, butter, capers, and diced tomatoes. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Do not skin it or de-head it. Just clean it, prep it wit tomatoes, capers, lemon, butter, salt and pepper, wrap it in foil and grill it for approx. 5 mins each side, or on the coals for about 2 mins each side. The skins and scales help keep the moisture and flavor in. Enjoy!:drool:

P.S. Just a little side note here. I quit hunting and keeping my fishing catch because I could not eat it after I cleaned it. So, I do not hunt anymore, and any fishing I do is catch and release. But, if I buy the fish, or someone cleans it.......GAME ON!!!!!!!

Yum! Nothing like fresh fish over the fire. And tho I release 99% of the trout I catch there's nothing wrong with throwing a few brookies in the frying pan. Especially since we have so many her in CO. Now walleye is adifferent story. Every legal one I catch, which unfortunately is not too many, ends up on the kitchen table. Best eating fresh water fish there is! My favorite Walleye recipe, will work with any fillet of white fish, is: dip the fillet in egg, cover with italian seasoned bread crumbs, place in a greased pyrex dish, place pads of butter on each fillet, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake at about 350 until done! I know most people don't take an oven camping but it would probably cook well in a skillet as well.

flywgn

Explorer
I've waited until this thread had more 'meat' to the postings to read all of them. Now it's 1300h and time to go graze in the kitchen.

Oh yes, my favorite recipe is to take the main ingredient to ALL our fine dining around a camp stove...the person below and a couple of the entrees.

I'll come back with a recipe or two after I've had lunch with my Main Ingredient.

Allen R

Attachments

• Fall 2004 012 (Small).jpg
    Fall 2004 012 (Small).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Fall 2004 014 (Small).jpg
    Fall 2004 014 (Small).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 119

JPFreek1

Explorer
Tacos al Rubicon (as featured in August/September issue of JPFreek)

Ingredients:

Four-wheel vehicle
1.5 lbs of flank steak (+/- depending on number of people)
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper for taste
1/2 cup lime juice
1 tbsp garlic powder
Heavy duty foil
12 gauge wire or coat hanger
Package of corn or flour tortillas

Recipe:

Mix olive oil, lime juice, garlic powder, & salt/pepper. Marinate mixture with flank steak in cooler or fridge for 2-4 hours.

Before leaving for your off-highway journey, wrap the steak wth foil making a tight, well-sealed pocket. Securely strap the foil pocket onto a flat surface on or near your engine (preferablly a Jeep Rubicon but any four-wheel vehicle will do) with 12 gauge wire. Be sure to keep clear of any moving parts. Cooking time will naturally vary depending on how long the engine has been running. After approximately 30-40 minutes, coarsely chop the steak and toss into a hot tortilla (place tortillas in aluminum foil and set on engine for 3-5 minutes)

No plates necessary and no stove to clean. Tacos should taste just about right, all courtesy of your vehicle. Enjoy!

Frank

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
heat pan - add olive oil - add caught fish from Alaskan river - eat :eatchicke

Attachments

• fish-in-a-pan.jpg
    fish-in-a-pan.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 80

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
expeditionswest said:
Tequila Tomatoes:

L_IMG_2640.jpg

Cherry tomatoes, cleaned and stemmed
Tequila
Salt and Pepper
Pine Nuts
Cilantro
Olive Oil

Roast the pine nuts in olive oil (1/4 cup) until browned. Add tomatoes and begin to warm. Add tequila and cilantro. When hot (not cooked, you want them to be semi-firm) add salt and pepper to taste.

Made this at the campsite on Saturday night. Although we didn't have any Cilantro, it was AMAZING! Simple to make and tastes great. My wife has nicknamed the recipie "Drunken Tomatoes".

Great recipie Scott!

Maddmatt

Explorer
OK, here's one more - tested to perfection last week in Northern Minnesota

Ingredients:
2 - Northern Pike
1 - filet knife
1 - canoe paddle
1- fry pan
1 - stick of butter
1 - zip lock bag of shake and bake
1 - lemon

Directions:

Drive to Northern Minnesota. Put canoe on roof and drive to river.

Float river, cast daredevil spoons at the reeds.

Catch fish, paddle to the side of the river, filet fish, wash filets in river, put in ziplock bag and shake.

While all this is going one, person number two should be starting the fire and melting the butter in pan.

Add filets to hot pan.

Realize that filets are too big for 10" pan (that's right, I'm the man!)

Cut filets in half, cook until golden brown.

Put on plates. Squirt with lemon juice.

Eat until beyond full.

Get back in canoe, feeling so cocky that you can say "I don't need to be greedy" and just sip your beer while the river carries you back to the put in.

Photos below. That's me in the black, my brother in the tan and doing the cooking.

Oh yeah, it was a good trip.:victory:

Attachments

• IMG_2312.jpg
    IMG_2312.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2314.jpg
    IMG_2314.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2317.jpg
    IMG_2317.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 66

Redback

Adventurer
Being new here i thought i'd start with an camp oven recipe, which is my favorite camp cooking gear
Belangalo_weekend_053.sized.jpg

DAMPER aussie bread
4 cups plain flour

4 tspn bi-carb soda or baking powder

Swig of beer - say about ¼ cup (optional)

1-1½ cups water

Pinch salt

Add flour, bi-carb, salt and beer to mixing bowl, then slowly add water until you have a moist dough that is tacky but not sticking to your fingers.

Place on a trivet in a greased cake tin in your pre-heated camp oven and replace lid.

Place in a shallow bed of coals and shovel coals onto lid and cook for 25 - 35 minutes. To check damper is cooked, either tap it...should sound hollow if cooked, or test with a skewer...should come out clean.

Comments: Tastes great with lashings of margarine with jam, honey or golden syrup.
Once you've mastered the basics you can start experimenting. For a sweet damper toss in some sultana's, chopped dried fruit, cinnamon, and even a bit of honey or golden syrup (but not too much of these or the mixture gets heavy). For a savoury damper add dried chives or herbs, chopped bacon, onion or sundried tomato, and a bit of parmesan cheese (the powdered type).

ROAST BEEF
Beef Roast (size to suit)*

Vegetables of choice, peeled, cut into roasting size (potato, pumpkin, sweet potato, onion, carrot, parsnip etc)

Packet dried peas or beans (optional)

1 packet french onion soup mix

2 tblsp plain flour

Canned whole tomatoes (optional)

Salt and pepper

Establish a good bed of coals and preheat camp oven.
Place meat and small amount of oil in camp oven, and place in shallow pit in coals. Shovel some coals onto the lid and leave for about 30-45 minutes, until meat is starting to brown.
Carefully remove camp oven from coals, brush coals from lid and remove. Place vegetables in camp oven around meat.
Mix french onion soup mix and seasoning with ½ - ¾ litre of water, depending on size of roast and camp oven. Pour over meat and vegetables, then replace lid and return to coals.
Cooking time will vary depending on size of meat, camp oven and quality of coals.
When vegetables and meat are cooked through, remove meat for carving.
If adding tomatoes, pour entire contents of can into camp oven at this point.
Premix flour with a small amount of water, then slowly add to camp oven, until you have a gravy like consistency.
Return camp oven (minus lid) to coals, stirring gently until sauce starts to simmer.
Meal is now ready to serve.
Serves 4-6

* You could use roasting meat of your choice but for this recipe, meat with minimal fat works best. Hence, the reason I use beef.

DESERT

CARAMEL PEARS
1 lge can pear halves

2 tbs plain flour

½ cup brown sugar

½ tsp cinnamon

3 tbs butter

1 tsp honey or maple syrup

Drain pears and reserve syrup.
In a saucepan, place flour, sugar and cinnamon and mix with 1 cup of the reserved syrup.
Heat until boiling, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
Add butter and honey, then allow to cool. If sauce is too thick, thin down with remaining pear syrup or water.
Place pear halves in serving bowls and spoon over caramel sauce.
Serves 2

Comments: Serve with cream or custard.

Hope you can enjoy Aussie bush camping recipes, serve with:beer: or a good red

You may know what we call a camp oven, as a Dutch oven.

Try it you never go back:ylsmoke:

Baz.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz