Post your Camp Recipe's

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
After surfing over at 4XTrips i see CalmariDog and HongerVenture have some good camp recipe's posted. I havent seen a similar thread here (if there is someone please point me to it) so i thought i'd start one.

Personally i'm looking for healthier options, but please share those delicious recipe's.

My Bud's Bison Burgers:

1lb Ground Bison
1/2 large onion
4 cloves of Garlic
dash of italian seasoning

Add whatever else turns ya on. Chopped Jalapeno's might be added next time.

Keep in mind that Bison will shrink much less than Beef, make patty's bun size and not too thick as to burn outside. Cook on lower heat turning once. DO NOT drown in Ketchup.

I'll add some more later.

:chowtime:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Brown bag breakfast:
Items needed- small brown paper bag, 2 strips of bacon cut in half, hash browns or hash brown patty, egg, fork stick, camp fire coals , briquets or cook stove.

Prep: Line bottom of sack with bacon, add hash browns, crack egg on top of all this. Fold the sack closed and roll down the top. Pierce rolled bag with stick and roast carefully over open coals.

The bacon grease will penetrate the sack and prevent burning. Cook until egg is done. Tear off top and eat.
Toss the bag in the fire when you are done and your fork is all that is left to clean up.

The same process can be used for Desert using butter in the bag, add peach slices and some "just add water" cake mix.

Makes a fun cooking experience for the kids!

Scott Brady

Founder
Tequila Tomatoes:

L_IMG_2640.jpg

Cherry tomatoes, cleaned and stemmed
Tequila
Salt and Pepper
Pine Nuts
Cilantro
Olive Oil

Roast the pine nuts in olive oil (1/4 cup) until browned. Add tomatoes and begin to warm. Add tequila and cilantro. When hot (not cooked, you want them to be semi-firm) add salt and pepper to taste.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
expeditionswest said:
Tequila Tomatoes:

My favorite recipe is to simply bring Scott. Then beg, plead, and bribe him with beer and/or margarita's to share what he's having!

Seriously, those tequila tomatoes were awesome! And I'm not even a big fan of tomatoes.

:bowdown:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Salmon Brushetta

Salmon Filet
Brushetta

Cook Salmon on a cast iron griddle or pan, once close to done add some Brushetta into pan to lightly heat. Remove Salmon Filet and top with Brushetta.

BMAN

Adventurer
My absolute favorite camp recipe starts with 1/2 lb of bacon....

Served on a fork of course.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
BMAN said:
My absolute favorite camp recipe starts with 1/2 lb of bacon....

Served on a fork of course.

I gained 2lbs reading your post. :hehe:

I'm forbidden to eat bacon/sausage anymore, shame as i'm a B-Fast kinda guy.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
John B said:
...i'm a B-Fast kinda guy.

I made this for b'fast this morning, and I intend to pre-mix the batter and take it on a trip next time around. Pretty easy and oh man, it's GOOD (and healthy).

Chocolate-Chip Walnut pancakes

(makes 2 large pancakes)
  • 1 cup - Multi-grain pancake mix (w/milled flaxseed & soy)
  • 1/5 to 1/4 cup - Wild harvested mesquite meal
  • 2 tbsp - Organic hot cocoa mix
  • 1 organic egg
  • 1 cup - organic soy milk (or cow, goat, whatever)
  • 1 1/4 tbsp - Expeller-pressed canola oil
  • Organic chocolate chips (to taste)
  • Walnut halves (to taste)
  • Organic butter or butter spread (to taste)
  • Organic maple syrup (to taste)
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix pancake mix & oil. Add egg and milk and mix well. Add cocoa mix and mesquite meal, mix well.

Add about teaspoon of oil to a large skillet (or griddle) and heat (about 350F I guess). Use a folded paper towel to coat pan evenly with oil (set towel aside). Add half of batter to center of pan and allow batter to level out. Sprinkle walnut halves and chocolate chips onto pancake. When the top starts to bubble pretty good, it's time to flip over. Let other side cook (doesn't take as long). Before adding batter for the 2nd cake, wipe the pan with the oily towel to coat it again (don't burn yourself!) Repeat previous for 2nd cake.

Deploy the hot cakes to some nice plates, add butter and syrup to your liking.

Goes well with your favorite organic coffee :p

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
It's breakfast time!

BajaTaco said:
Chocolate-Chip Walnut pancakes

Another great variation on the pancakes is to use sliced bananas and chocolate chips! The bananas keep the pancakes nice and moist.

Same procedure: add half of batter to center of pan and allow batter to level out. Place pre-sliced bananas and chocolate chips onto pancake then use a spoon to put a bit more batter over the goodies. Cook a bit, flip over to finish cooking then enjoy!

Cheers :beer:,
P

Maddmatt

Explorer
As always, some of you guys are way beyond me. But in my continuing efforts to be more of a contributor and less of a lurker, here's two of mine.

My usual camping is in the desert, so this is a good minimal prep, easy cook option.

Prior to departure, get two or three good sized steaks as budget allows. This a good opportunity to save some money and grab the flank steaks, as the benefits of a NY strip or something else will not be noticed.

Rub steaks with your favorite rub. In Boulder of all places we still have an excellent butcher called Herbs (the vegans somehow haven't run him out of town). He makes an all purpose rub called,

wait for it

Herbs Seasoning.

This is my favorite. So rub the steaks with Herbs Seasoning, slice into strips and seal into a large ziplock freezer bag. I usually double bag it just in case.

Put in bottom of cooler. Leave it there until your dinner night comes up.

Over a hot fire, (propane or wood, it really doesn't matter) put steaks into cast iron pan. The bigger the pan the better. Add onions, green peppers, tomatoes and anything else that looks good.

Cook for one :beer: or so, at least until you get bored waiting, stirring as the mood strikes. Wrap in tortillas. Eat.:chowtime:

For variations, add cheese and or Stokes green chili with pork (sleep with tent windows open if you go the Stokes route).

I like it because most of the prep is done at home, it's a good protein fest after a long day of outdoor exertion and it requires as little or as much attention during cooking as you feel like expending. If your camp-mates are getting on your nerves,:ar15: you can spend a long time slicing and dicing veggies, stirring just so, adjusting fire, etc.... but if you hate to pull yourself away from the discussion to cook, you just have to stir it a couple times, it's pretty much done whenever you say it is, as long as you don't let it burn.

My second one requires access to fresh shrimp. If you find yourself in that situation, maybe you haggled for a couple pounds of good sized camarons that afternoon, this is a good thing to do with them.

Anyway, squeeze the juice of about 5 or 6 limes into a big ziplock freezer bag. (I like the ziplocks for camp preparation). Pour in some sea salt.

Peel and clean the shrimp, and skewer onto wooden skewers that you cleverly brought along in your kitchen kit just for this occasion. I like to line the shrimp up tight, leaving just half an inch of skewer exposed at either end.

Put skewers carefully into ziplock bag (don't pierce the bag). lay bag on side and make sure that all shrimp are covered in your lime juice/salt mixture.

Put bag in cooler and let sit for an hour or so (or 10 minutes if you're hungry right now)

Cook on grill or over open flame or in cast iron pan, whatever is handy. Cook until the shrimp look done, but not too long. You want them to have that nice pinkish hue, but not completely dried out.

Eat with good Mexican beers or other beverage.:sombrero:

That's it for me. Nothing earth shattering, but I always try to focus on easy prep and easy clean up.
-Matt

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Matt, you are making me hungry! Those are great additions to the thread, and I will likely carry these out on a future trip to Mexico. Muchas gracias!

LOL at the Herbs comments :D I dig your humor and writing style.

Hey P, yes, I do use bananas sometimes.. or fresh blueberries (no choc. chips)... or whatever is fresh and tasty and around the kitchen. I love pancakes :D

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Great additions Matt! I'll be trying your recipes (both of them) at months end.

I also have tried the pancakes and fruit...yummy.

I have always wanted to do a seafood boil (Emeril's recipe) for years now. I'll post up that recipe shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior