Snorkel Installation Question

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
First of all, thanks to Wil and Wen for their help in getting the snorkel for my truck ASAP!

Montero/Pajero Snorkel available here.

The installation instructions on Safari Snorkel's website indicate that I need to procure a Sikaflex 227 adhesive.

Any ideas on where to get this locally? I.e., is this available at my local hardware store, Lowe's, or Home Depot?

Info from the manufacturer of the adhesive:
s.gif
"Sikaflex® -227 is a one part, moisture cured polyurethane sealant/adhesive that offers incredibly fast tack free time, as low as 30 minutes. Perfect for applications where handling time is at a premium. Sikaflex® -227 has great weather and road salt resistance, absorbs the constant shock encountered in vehicle use and is sandable and paintable."

If I cannot find this locally, any reason why I cannot use high grade silicon to seal everything up?

madizell

Explorer
What part of the installation requires poly glue?

Except for the tack time being very short, the adhesive you describe sounds like Gorilla Glue, which is also a water activated polyurethane adhesive that is resistant to just about everything once set. GG takes more like 2 hours to 3 hours to firm up, and 24 to cure completely, and also expands in the presence of water, so clamping is needed as well as attention to the volume of glue used. Probably so does the Sikaflex.

The manufacturer's description is clearly vehicle oriented. I would try an automotive paint specialty store, as they usually also have about every glue known to the automotive industry, such as panel adhesives for bonding metal panels, and trim glues for gluing on plastic trims and skins.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I used silicone on my 4runner snorkel install to seal up my airbox, and a year later, when checked it was still holding strong to the area of application.

[shrug]

suitibility depends on the specific application, i guess, but i see no problem.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
madizell said:
What part of the installation requires poly glue?

Except for the tack time being very short, the adhesive you describe sounds like Gorilla Glue, which is also a water activated polyurethane adhesive that is resistant to just about everything once set. GG takes more like 2 hours to 3 hours to firm up, and 24 to cure completely, and also expands in the presence of water, so clamping is needed as well as attention to the volume of glue used. Probably so does the Sikaflex.

The manufacturer's description is clearly vehicle oriented. I would try an automotive paint specialty store, as they usually also have about every glue known to the automotive industry, such as panel adhesives for bonding metal panels, and trim glues for gluing on plastic trims and skins.

Thanks, Greg, for the great info as always.

The install instructions are here.

It looks like it's required in steps 10 and 14:

10: "Install the inner duct into position and apply a liberal amount of Sikaflex adhesive sealant to the inside of the duct. Apply Sikaflex adhesive sealant to the snorkel body snout to ensure a watertight seal between the snorkel body snout and inner duct. Install the snorkel body to the guard, guiding the snorkel body snout into the inner duct then fasten to the guard using necessary hardware. Fasten upper mounting bracket to the snorkel body."

14: "Drill the marked hole position to 5mm. Apply Sikaflex adhesive sealant to the pad, to the air cleaner entry duct and the air cleaner housing inlet. Secure the air cleaner entry duct to the air cleaner housing using pop rivet (Item No. 18), ensuring a watertight connection between the air cleaner entry duct and air cleaner housing. Apply more sealant if required or remove any excess sealant to ensure a neat job."

So, it looks like it's just sealing up the duct work in all places.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
BIGdaddy said:
I used silicone on my 4runner snorkel install to seal up my airbox, and a year later, when checked it was still holding strong to the area of application.

[shrug]

suitibility depends on the specific application, i guess, but i see no problem.

Thank you for the feedback on the use of silicon.

madizell

Explorer
I read trough the Sika website, couldn't find the description for 227 per se, but it appears that it is a sealant more than an adhesive, probably used originally for sealing metal roof installations, as it stays flexible and so on. That is not the same property as you will find with Gorilla Glue, so they are apparently not in the same class.

There are a wide variety of silicone or similar sealants on the market. One that I have used recently is called "Through the Roof." It is clear, high tack, stays flexible, UV stable, and lasts longer than your vehicle will. Used in relatively thin beads, it dries overnight. I used some to fill large gaps, and it tacked up overnight, but took several days to fully cure, so thickness changes dry times. However, it makes a highly durable flexible seal, and would be better suited to what Safari has in mind if you can't find the Sika product.

There are also a variety of construction silicones for sealing windows and doors outdoors that are similar to Through the Roof. Clear, stays flexible, UV stable. You will find these generally as "25 year Silicone" or some such. I would not use bathroom silicones or others intended for indoor use as they are not nearly as durable as construction grade silicone.

Or, if you want to find a polyurethane sealant, I would look for sidewalk or driveway caulks, not the asphalt based stuff, but a poly-based product. Or something intended to seal metal roofing during construction. By the Sika descriptions, their products sound more like silicone in use, that is, they don't expand or expand very little, some self-level, and they stay flexible.

I would go to the hardware store and cruise the sealants. Another possibility is to use windshield glass sealant, used for setting modern glass in uni-bodies. I think that is also poly-based, and would make a permanent and flexible seal in your intake.

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
madizell said:
...By the Sika descriptions, their products sound more like silicone in use, that is, they don't expand or expand very little, some self-level, and they stay flexible.

I would go to the hardware store and cruise the sealants. Another possibility is to use windshield glass sealant, used for setting modern glass in uni-bodies. I think that is also poly-based, and would make a permanent and flexible seal in your intake.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Thanks for confirming.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I believe for other models just a high grade Silicon was used, haven't heard of any problems with that route.

Looking forward to the photos, Tony!

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
FourByLand said:
I believe for other models just a high grade Silicon was used, haven't heard of any problems with that route.

Looking forward to the photos, Tony!

Excellent. Thank you, Louis.

XJINTX

Explorer
Wow Tony... you have a snorkel now ... don't forget pics :)

Funny we just installed a safari snorkel on an Xterra this weekend too.

Many trips to Autozone and Ace for Macguyverizing it. The snorkel was made for the Navara not Xterra.

On the X's we remove all the resonators too and have to seal where they were in the airbox... thus the trips for wrong size purchases we nmade ;)

Yep, we just used silicon RTV adhesive and it always works fine.

I still need to get a snorkel form Wil for the XJ but heck I still need to put the bumpers and lift on sitting in the garage :(

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Good to hear from you Roger.

I'm hoping that the "Macguyverizing" is kept to a minimum. Luckily this snorkel kit was actually made for my vehicle and readily available in the US. Score one more for ARB supporting this vehicle.

I'll post up picks in my truck thread when it's done. In fact, I have several upgrades I need to document and share.

TD

mcm4090

Explorer
I am bring that topic back to life because I have a similar problem. I got an Air flow snorkel for my truck and in the instructions they require using sikaflex f-11 urethane to seal the snorkel.

I cannot find this product or find any information on this product. Can anyone tell me a suitable sealant to use?

Crikeymike

Adventurer
It's just black silicone. It's for waterproofing the connections. Just check the back of the packet to make sure it's ok to use with plastics.

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan
One thing about using any random silicone is if you use it to seal the inside of the duct work, it may give you random issues with the O2 sensors. Only use a sensor safe silicone where you will be sealing the interior of the snorkel. I chased phantom issues and it wasn't until a buddy who happens to be an A&P mechanic that races cars asked about the intake mods did we figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online