Newbie question - aluminium body?

troy

Adventurer
You have to forgive me, but I'm a Jeep owner. What Land Rovers have aluminium bodies?

I live in Minneapolis, MN and the salt will kill a vehicle. My cherokee has 205K and I think I can only get another year out of it before rust becomes an issue.

I've seen both discoverys and Range Rovers advertise that they are aluminium. Is this standard?

Thanks,
Troy

Adventurer
Just about all models are primarily all aluminum with several steel components. Which model are you interested in?

troy

Adventurer
I really like my Jeep Cherokee for the size and capability. However, they all seem to rust away up here. I'm thinking a Discovery, but I'm open to anything. I really like Landcruisers FJ60's, 80s , but again with the rust. Ideally I'd like to get a deal on a repairable Land Rover and get it up to spec before I sell the Jeep. The Discovery seems to be a great value.

Just looking for a capable DD / expedtion camping vehicle. I have my other bases covered:

Trail Rig - '72 Suzuki LJ20 sprung over on 33" MTs and a 1.6L diesel
Muscle Car - '66 Chevy Nova 2dr Hard top with 23K original miles
Econo Car - '07 Mazda 3 (wifes)
Current Expo/tow Rig - '98 Jeep Cherokee, OME supsension, BFG ATs, brushgaurd, roofrack, etc....

Thanks for the help.

Green96D1

Explorer
the discovery will serve you well! but be warned you may not drive the other cars once you get one!:sombrero:

kevb

Observer
Hi Troy,
Discovery and RR have a steel ladder chassis (frame) with aluminium alloy body panels on a steel frame. Defenders have a similar chassis and a steel bulkhead, the rest is alloy.They are not without their corrosion issues. The ladder frame generally rusts at the rear cross member and body mounts/outriggers, rear floor and wheel arches on the body are also areas to watch. The alloy panels suffer from electrolytic corrosion where alloy comes into contact with steel, particularly if moisture is present, this will look like white powder. Early D1s suffer more as they had more water traps, especially the 5 door models. D2 seem less prone but they are younger. Having said that I have seen early RR and Discos in the US which are clean as a whistle. If corrosion is a problem in your area then maybe look to get one from a better climate. Other things to look out for are full service history, the V8 need regular oil changes. If you take your time and get a good one I'm sure you will love it, also, Waxoil is your friend!

troy

Adventurer
Thanks for the tips. Time to start planning for the cherokees replacement.

I orginally though about an older 110, 109 or FJ60 upgraded for daily driver status, but I think a mildly modified Discovery will be cheaper in the long run and more highway friendly.

I also think the Discovery will be safer in the winter if when the wife drives it.

I'm thinking a budget of $5-7K.

Hey Tony,

I'm not quite as far north as you are (Des Moines), and my '94 Disco is still able to get around under it's own power ;)

I will tell you, that while the exterior body panels are alloy - except for the roof - their supporting structures are all steel.

Mine doesn't look too scary, but closer inspection will show that the lower edges of the door skins are pretty significantly corroded.....presumably due to the moisture held there as well as the proximity to the steel frame inside the door.

Heck, buy one from the nice, dry southwest and it should serve you well.

There is a MN rover group....let me go look... http://www.mnlandrovers.org/ duh, that was easy.

Check in with them for local experience.

KAA

steph

The Discovery series2 is almost all aluminum. the 4 doors and roof are metal, the rest is aluminum. rear door, hood and all side panels etc...

As already said, the D2s are less prone to corrosion than the D1s.

EricWS

Observer
troy said:
Thanks for the tips. Time to start planning for the cherokees replacement.

I orginally though about an older 110, 109 or FJ60 upgraded for daily driver status, but I think a mildly modified Discovery will be cheaper in the long run and more highway friendly.

I also think the Discovery will be safer in the winter if when the wife drives it.

110's are expensive, even the 1983 models being brought in. 109s can be difficult to source. 109s also have parts NLA, like the bulkhead and some body peices such as the inner wings. Most 109s have a 4 cyl. engine (some have a 6). Might be a lot of work to get it to replace the Cherokee. Look at Mercedes Jim and Terri Ann's trucks. Lots of work to get them to where they wanted them to be.

Pad

Adventurer
Hey Troy, Welcome to Expo!
Surprised to hear your '98 jeep is already rusting away?
I did away with the jeep thing awhile ago, used to run 70's wagoners (full size) so I definitely understand the rust thing.
I'm at the bottom of the food chain on Rovers, so floor board rust is still an issue but the body panels look clean (ok not mine because they so dented).
I'd say if youve got 5-7k to burn you should not have a problem finding a truck with some mods (to keep up with your jeep).
'72 suzuki 1.6 diesel! that would be fun to see on the trail!
as long as I'm in front of you (did a trip a couple weeks ago with a FJ troopy diesel and after a couple hours behind him on the trail all I wanted was just ONE breath of fresh air).
There is a MN rover group....let me go look... http://www.mnlandrovers.org/ duh, that was easy.
Thanks for the plug 'Monkeyboy'!
We meet on the 3rd Thur. @ parktavern (St.L.Park) at 7pm, show up early to gander at the trucks, heck stay for the meeting if you want, great group of folks and a very family oriented club, but you probably in a Zuk club already.
Good luck hunting, trail ride sometime?
Pad

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
troy said:

You can put together a pretty nice discovery for that money. Look a a bunch of them though look at the floors, rockers and rear door jams. That's where they will rust if it has any.
Jason T.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
steph said:
The Discovery series2 is almost all aluminum. the 4 doors and roof are metal, the rest is aluminum. rear door, hood and all side panels etc...

As already said, the D2s are less prone to corrosion than the D1s.

How much of the D2 is really aluminum? I know the floor isn't. :(

As far as I can tell, only some of the outer skin panels are aluminum?

steph

I found that it is aluminum sheets welded onto metal inners. Like the back door for example. the outer part is aluminum, while the inside is metal. Same goes for the hood and probably inner fenders and firewall, but for those I'd have to check.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, that's weird, I can't figure out why they'd do that. Most of the weight of steel, the weakness of alumimum on the outside, no corrosion benefit because of galvanic cells that are set up, plus the diffiuclty of joining steel and aluminum.

What's the point?:smilies27

Reata Rover

Adventurer
I would suggest findong one ion the desert southwest and then treat it completely with Waxoil. Maintain this application religiously and you should get quite a few extra miles out of your new Rig.

Good luck, and welcome to the Land Rover world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke