Lets see some full size pictures...

rb70383

Observer
My 68 gals of diesel cost $280. right now loaded just under 8.6k x 20 mpg returning 1,300 miles in low lands, I also keep 6 good ole Jerry cans w/military quick fill spouts for those long trips off the beaten path.

Unless I missed it, where do you keep 6 jerry cans? I have a 01 Dodge diesel for onroad road trips, and have a 100 gal semi tank in the bed. Hurts filling up. 135 gal total.

Last edited:

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Unless I missed it, where do you keep 6 jerry cans? I have a 01 Dodge diesel for onroad road trips, and have a 100 gal semi tank in the bed. Hurts filling up. 135 gal total.

Yep, it hurts but it would hurt more if petrol/gas because of less mpg return. Depending on my load they go up on the rack or inside vehicle, being diesel its much safer than petrol/gas so inside is no big deal. I'm redoing the interior and eliminating the third row seat and one of the two passenger seats.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
135 gallons times $4.179 a gallon (Cenex in Noxon MT) equals $564.17. Wow, just wow. But you're basically only going to need to fill your gas tank at every oil change, so that sounds nice. Routine maintenance! Top off the washer fluid, change the oil, fill up the gas tank.

twoshots

hello,

first post, long time lurker:) do you have the ARE on yet??

I just bought a 12 outdoorsman crew with 4.10 rear. Getting 15mpg, not worked in yet, no mods....yet

Picked up my 2012 Dodge Ram tonight. It's a 2500 Heavy Duty Cummins powered Megacab with the Laramie package and a g56 tranny. I've got an ARE cap on order, then the tool drawers/camping setup begins.

1stpic.jpg

Stuart Kent

Observer
Costa Rica Chevy.

New to the Portal - great resource everyone, thanks!
I started a thread about my upcoming project in Costa Rica, under the Central America heading in the Portal - I welcome your insights. Until a few months ago this was my business truck, never off road, mostly highway miles (I have used full size trucks off road for work, but have always been a Toyota off road enthusiast, [84' FJ60, 87' Pickup, 94' 4Runner, 99' Tacoma, and counting...]). This one is different. My business is sponsoring this truck and it has been outfitted through sponsorships by: Rancho Suspension, Buckstop Truckware, Superwinch, B & S Wholesale Tires, PIAA, Optima, DeeZee Truck Accessories, and Farm Bureau Insurance, for a teaching/research project I will conduct as a U.S. Fulbright Scholar over the next year. Thanks to the Portal I have been made aware of the short comings of the front end on this truck, and I am looking in to what I can do to improve things in any way that I can - HD tie rods are first on the list and I am looking for additional suggestions. I will be hauling logs in remote, muddy, steep, rainy, mountainous, technical, tight, wooded terrain.

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4, 3:73 with factory rear locker, 100K, well maintained.
Rancho 4" lift with RS 9000XL shocks and MyRide Wireless dampening controller, 33x12.50 BF Goodrich All Terrains on Pacer aluminum bullet hole rims with keyed lugs (including spare), Buckstop 'Classic' bumpers front and rear, 12,500lb Superwinch Talon with synthetic line , PIAA ATP lights (4 & 6" front, 4" rear), dual Optima Yellow top batteries, DeeZee wheel well style toolboxes and Du-Ha underseat storage. BNSF International Logistics is sponsoring the shipping to and from Costa Rica for the year I will be there.

Not yet installed: re-purposed FJ 60 roof rack for luggage, saws, straps, axes, cant hooks, chainfall, etc. 4:10 gears if I can come up with the money, have a respected shop in Raleigh willing to help by doing both axles for $900.00 total, but working on a fixed income through a grant severely restricts things, and unfortunately gears are out of budget. Bluetooth controller for phone/radio integration allowing spoken GPS/phone/internet radio/music.

for anyone interested in the project, read the abstract and follow my blog: stuartkent.com

2003 Silverado.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I did the tank vent mod on mine which relocates the vent fitting higher up on the tank. My light had come on the day before and I put another 20 miles on it. I filled it w/38.5 gallons approx@ $4.17. Bill came to $156.00. Jeez. It'll now go about 100 miles before the needle moves.
In 1999 when I bought my '98.5,fuel was a buck a gallon here.

Fuel has risen 100%+ since the election in 2008. Sucks.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
New to the Portal - great resource everyone, thanks!
I started a thread about my upcoming project in Costa Rica, under the Central America heading in the Portal - I welcome your insights. Until a few months ago this was my business truck, never off road, mostly highway miles (I have used full size trucks off road for work, but have always been a Toyota off road enthusiast, [84' FJ60, 87' Pickup, 94' 4Runner, 99' Tacoma, and counting...]). This one is different. My business is sponsoring this truck and it has been outfitted through sponsorships by: Rancho Suspension, Buckstop Truckware, Superwinch, B & S Wholesale Tires, PIAA, Optima, DeeZee Truck Accessories, and Farm Bureau Insurance, for a teaching/research project I will conduct as a U.S. Fulbright Scholar over the next year. Thanks to the Portal I have been made aware of the short comings of the front end on this truck, and I am looking in to what I can do to improve things in any way that I can - HD tie rods are first on the list and I am looking for additional suggestions. I will be hauling logs in remote, muddy, steep, rainy, mountainous, technical, tight, wooded terrain.

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4, 3:73 with factory rear locker, 100K, well maintained.
Rancho 4" lift with RS 9000XL shocks and MyRide Wireless dampening controller, 33x12.50 BF Goodrich All Terrains on Pacer aluminum bullet hole rims with keyed lugs (including spare), Buckstop 'Classic' bumpers front and rear, 12,500lb Superwinch Talon with synthetic line , PIAA ATP lights (4 & 6" front, 4" rear), dual Optima Yellow top batteries, DeeZee wheel well style toolboxes and Du-Ha underseat storage. BNSF International Logistics is sponsoring the shipping to and from Costa Rica for the year I will be there.

Not yet installed: re-purposed FJ 60 roof rack for luggage, saws, straps, axes, cant hooks, chainfall, etc. 4:10 gears if I can come up with the money, have a respected shop in Raleigh willing to help by doing both axles for $900.00 total, but working on a fixed income through a grant severely restricts things, and unfortunately gears are out of budget. Bluetooth controller for phone/radio integration allowing spoken GPS/phone/internet radio/music.

for anyone interested in the project, read the abstract and follow my blog: stuartkent.com

View attachment 123467

Nice rig sir!!!

hikingff77

Adventurer
On a trip to REI this afternoon

I ran into this really cool Silverado and while I was oogling it the owner came up and we stuck up a conversation. Really nice guy. I told him about this site, he said, well that's what I do, Expedition/adventure type stuff.

He kayaks and mountain bikes. His rig is set up for remote camping. I wish I had the abillity to afford the cap he had, I'd have done the same thing.

He's got onboard fresh water and a bunk.

Can someone tell me the make of the roof rack? He couldn't remember. Fit the truck perfectly.

He's going to be checking out this forum.Expedition Silverado.jpg

rb70383

Observer
For the need of 135 gal, It is for my roadtrip truck. We have moved alot and use our 33' cargo trailer. Going from FL to WA I fill twice. Start full, fill up around st. louis and then end in WA. Easier and normally cheaper as I dont get "stuck" paying high prices in the middle of no where if I time the fill ups wrong. Once rolling on the interstate the extra weight is no prob. Well 800lbs on top of the 12K trailer is really a moot point. :) I wouldnt do this with gasoline. Like said earlier diesel isn't really dangerous in that respect.

I would love to convert my ramcharger to diesel.

Walker, where are those pics? Nice rig. Looking forward to snow wheeling this winter. Take the wife's GC and the RC. We just moved to WA so lots to explore.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
I would love to convert my ramcharger to diesel..

I converted a V-10 1996 RAM 3500 duly 4x4 to a Cummins 12 valve you need the shop manuals to do the wiring correctly if not up to speed doing it or using outside talent, I used Hobbs valves for trans shifting points..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier