Lets see some full size pictures...

luchenbach

My Big Boy's Toys

I've been lurking for a while, so I thought that I should post some pictures of my rigs.

Attachments

• Whole Shebang.JPG
    Whole Shebang.JPG
    399.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN0217.JPG
    DSCN0217.JPG
    387.7 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0233.JPG
    DSCN0233.JPG
    397.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Hercules.JPG
    Hercules.JPG
    448 KB · Views: 54
  • Side Truck.jpg
    Side Truck.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Truck in Rocks.JPG
    Truck in Rocks.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 68
  • Truck Rear Quarter.jpg
    Truck Rear Quarter.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 77
  • Tuck Truck.jpg
    Tuck Truck.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Watersports & Truck.jpg
    Watersports & Truck.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 57

eggman918

Adventurer
Just joined thought I would start here,these are two pics of our first trip after the diesel conversion.
The truck is a 1968 F-250 4x4 Crewcab on a 131" wheelbase frame,it now has a Cummins 4BT with a M5ODR2 transmission
Dana 24 twin stick transfer case 3.55 gear Dana 44 front/60 rear with Detroit Trutracks.
65 gal. fuel tank 2 spare tires 8K winch.

The trailer has a 1957 Alaskan 8' pop up camper with solar panels to run the frige and 22 gal water tank not quite finished....but are they ever.
Steve.

Attachments

• 100_0463.JPG
    100_0463.JPG
    367.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_0464.JPG
    100_0464.JPG
    369.2 KB · Views: 102

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
Very cool! Post some close ups of the truck and camper when you can. How did the conversion go, did you do it yourself or outsource it? Can't beat the Alaskan truck campers!

Just joined thought I would start here,these are two pics of our first trip after the diesel conversion.
The truck is a 1968 F-250 4x4 Crewcab on a 131" wheelbase frame,it now has a Cummins 4BT with a M5ODR2 transmission
Dana 24 twin stick transfer case 3.55 gear Dana 44 front/60 rear with Detroit Trutracks.

The trailer has a 1957 Alaskan 8' pop up camper with solar panels to run the frige and 22 gal water tank not quite finished....but are they ever.
Steve.

eggman918

Adventurer
Very cool! Post some close ups of the truck and camper when you can. How did the conversion go, did you do it yourself or outsource it? Can't beat the Alaskan truck campers!
Did all the work myself...took longer and cost more than planed but all said and done I am very happy with it
went from 8/9 mpg to 22/24 mpg with more usable power than the 390 that I ran before.
I love the Alaskan had wanted one since I was a kid, picked it up locally for $400.00 built the trailer to fit it.
It is a bit heavy but balanced so that loaded the tongue weight 100/150 lbs. the truck weights 7500 with a full fuel tank
and the trailer is about 3500 I think I have not weighed it yet.The truck tows it easily it has a pintel hitch and I wouldn't
do any rock crawling with it but on jeep trails in the Sierras and Mojave it does well.
Here is a link to my conversion pics http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/eggman918/
I lost my trailer build pics the hard drive died before I uploaded them. I plan to take more there is a lot I plan to do to it yet.
The diesel conversion came first.
Steve.

FellowTraveler

Explorer

Steve.

Wow, that truck is it and the drive train a dream to most let us see more of it, oh, and welcome to the forum.

General Automag

Adventurer
New to the Portal - great resource everyone, thanks!
I started a thread about my upcoming project in Costa Rica, under the Central America heading in the Portal - I welcome your insights. Until a few months ago this was my business truck, never off road, mostly highway miles (I have used full size trucks off road for work, but have always been a Toyota off road enthusiast, [84' FJ60, 87' Pickup, 94' 4Runner, 99' Tacoma, and counting...]). This one is different. My business is sponsoring this truck and it has been outfitted through sponsorships by: Rancho Suspension, Buckstop Truckware, Superwinch, B & S Wholesale Tires, PIAA, Optima, DeeZee Truck Accessories, and Farm Bureau Insurance, for a teaching/research project I will conduct as a U.S. Fulbright Scholar over the next year. Thanks to the Portal I have been made aware of the short comings of the front end on this truck, and I am looking in to what I can do to improve things in any way that I can - HD tie rods are first on the list and I am looking for additional suggestions. I will be hauling logs in remote, muddy, steep, rainy, mountainous, technical, tight, wooded terrain.

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4, 3:73 with factory rear locker, 100K, well maintained.
Rancho 4" lift with RS 9000XL shocks and MyRide Wireless dampening controller, 33x12.50 BF Goodrich All Terrains on Pacer aluminum bullet hole rims with keyed lugs (including spare), Buckstop 'Classic' bumpers front and rear, 12,500lb Superwinch Talon with synthetic line , PIAA ATP lights (4 & 6" front, 4" rear), dual Optima Yellow top batteries, DeeZee wheel well style toolboxes and Du-Ha underseat storage. BNSF International Logistics is sponsoring the shipping to and from Costa Rica for the year I will be there.

Not yet installed: re-purposed FJ 60 roof rack for luggage, saws, straps, axes, cant hooks, chainfall, etc. 4:10 gears if I can come up with the money, have a respected shop in Raleigh willing to help by doing both axles for $900.00 total, but working on a fixed income through a grant severely restricts things, and unfortunately gears are out of budget. Bluetooth controller for phone/radio integration allowing spoken GPS/phone/internet radio/music.

for anyone interested in the project, read the abstract and follow my blog: stuartkent.com

View attachment 123467

I'm interested to see the cost and details on re-gearing your Silverado from 3.73 to 4.11 gear ratio. When we bought our truck new in 2001, we could not find any 1/2-ton (1500) models with the 4.11 gear ratio. The rear is a no-brainer, but I'm interested in how your shop would convert the front "axle." Also, how do you plan to reprogram the computer to account for the difference in gear ratios. Thanks!

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
I'm interested to see the cost and details on re-gearing your Silverado from 3.73 to 4.11 gear ratio. When we bought our truck new in 2001, we could not find any 1/2-ton (1500) models with the 4.11 gear ratio. The rear is a no-brainer, but I'm interested in how your shop would convert the front "axle." Also, how do you plan to reprogram the computer to account for the difference in gear ratios. Thanks!

While different, my Trailblazer is in the same GM family as the Silverado. I went from 3.73 to 4.10s. The rear as said is straight forward. The front is really not much different. You pull the cv's and remove the center "diff" section and swap out the gears then re-install. Or in my case I found a whole extra front diff with the gears I wanted and swapped it out and kept my other as a spare. While IFS is different, it is not horrible to do gear swaps on.

I have PCMforless re-programming my 2006 TB computer right now, well it is being shipped back today. Not sure if you can re-program gearing and tire size in the older PCM's, but they could in mine.

Walker

Texas Wanderer
How did you install the Yakima on the cab? Thinking of the same set up on my crew cab Ram but worried about drilling into the cab.

I drilled, however I reinforce the interior ceiling with .025 gauge aluminum sheet metal with JB Weld and a lot of silicone for waterproofing. The sheet metal was to add rigidity to the ceiling cab. I choose the permantly mount my rails because other mounts simply didnt hold well enough, or they made a consideralbe amount of whistling while on the highway.

Its tough drill holes in a perfectly good roof, but if you take your time and plan you will be OK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke