Lets see some full size pictures...

mkitchen

Explorer
Great to see another Ford Bumpside.

Looks like you got yourself a bit of a project in your 72. I have a 71 F 250 4X4 and like it lots though it is a bit of a hog on gas. The old trucks are fun to drive and it does get a lot more hi five signs than my 06 Tacoma gets.

Just a note on the EFI though, we did it on my daughter's 74 with a 390 and had nothing but grief with it. We finally took it off and went back to the carb. Her engine was built up quite a bit and the EFI actually hurt the performance and it did not help with mileage at all. I do like your goal of putting in a gear vender OD. I think I am going to do that on mine as well. I will get some pics of my 71 on the forum here soon.
Mikey

2500ak

Observer
Looks like you got yourself a bit of a project in your 72. I have a 71 F 250 4X4 and like it lots though it is a bit of a hog on gas. The old trucks are fun to drive and it does get a lot more hi five signs than my 06 Tacoma gets.

Well, currently the truck has LT headers and cherry bombs dumped under the cab (it literally sounds like an airplane).

It seems to attract more dirty, confused, or affronted looks than anythings else. Maybe once I get it quieted down, and the body cleaned up.

Just a note on the EFI though, we did it on my daughter's 74 with a 390 and had nothing but grief with it. We finally took it off and went back to the carb. Her engine was built up quite a bit and the EFI actually hurt the performance and it did not help with mileage at all. I do like your goal of putting in a gear vender OD. I think I am going to do that on mine as well. I will get some pics of my 71 on the forum here soon.
Mikey

What efi system was it using? If it was built up maybe the cam had too much overlap for it. A cam that's good for a carb is usually not good for efi, and vice versa.

Pooch72

Adventurer
Here's my obsession.

magic.jpg

Not the biggest... Not the baddest... maybe not even the oldest... but in my eyes, the prettiest damn thing I've ever seen. (that's why she's mine)

To see more pictures (and there are a LOT of them) click on the link in my signature!

land travaler

hear is a updated pic with my new pop up:sombrero:

Attachments

• 2010-11-24 19.14.07.jpg
    2010-11-24 19.14.07.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 2010-11-24 19.13.46.jpg
    2010-11-24 19.13.46.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 134

2500ak

Observer
Some beautiful Trucks, but not many Expedition Vehicles

It's not how jacked up or tactical a truck is. It's how you use it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4A5pFbuLU"]YouTube - Off-Road Climb up Pikes Peak with Chevrolet truck in 1957[/ame]

Stock 1957 chevy utility trucks driven overland, up pikes peak. If that isn't "expedition use" I don't know what is.

JamesDowning

Explorer
Some beautiful Trucks, but not many Expedition Vehicles

I guess we're all in different phases of "getting there". However there were a few posts where I've scratched my head trying to figure out their approach. I remember seeing the below picture a few pages back... my first thought was... "are those eyebrows?" ... "he's not treading very lightly" ... and ... "is that McDs so popular that they've filled the entire lot?". However I bit my tongue.

All I'm saying is... this doesn't look like much of an "expedition." :ylsmoke:

38346_10150237816700335_558740334_13916671_8231726_n.jpg

2500ak

Observer
I guess we're all in different phases of "getting there". However there were a few posts where I've scratched my head trying to figure out their approach. I remember seeing the below picture a few pages back... my first thought was... "are those eyebrows?" ... "he's not treading very lightly" ... and ... "is that McDs so popular that they've filled the entire lot?". However I bit my tongue.

All I'm saying is... this doesn't look like much of an "expedition." :ylsmoke:

38346_10150237816700335_558740334_13916671_8231726_n.jpg

A trip to McDonalds is always a worthwhile expedition...

sxharr05

Adventurer
Also keep in mind that some of us may be new to the whole thing and won't have full-blown expedidition rigs. The thread starter asked to see full size rigs. I was just showing my "build platform". :smiley_drive:

2500ak

Observer
lol, what like sweet donuts in a gravel lot?

That picture is awesome, and no that wasn't a gravel lot it was beside some train tracks I'd been flowing. This was about 50 miles away from campus.

I was trying to keep up with the train. It goes back and forth from the campus power plant to the Usibelli Coal mine, or I think it does at least.

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

You don't really have to go that far in interior Alaska though. Step out of any town and it's just wilderness, and cabins.

Here's another picture from that trip

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

Here are some other, more off-roadish pictures. This isn't overland, so much as it is the place a little ways out of town we'd go to celebrate our 2nd amendment rights. Few good rivers to ford out there though.

P1010152.jpg

P1010147.jpg

P1010155.jpg

We sunk the white truck on that trip. Hydrolocked it and stretched the daylights out of the timing chain. Made it back to the dorms though.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Excellent pics you posted 2500. Obviously some nice scenery in your back yard. I also enjoyed your vintage Chevy propaganda. Were did you ever dig that little video clip up from? It does have a lot of truth to it though... Phrases like...`The tough terrain is only as tough as the truck´ and `No physical damage to the truck other that a few scrapes´trully show what these Chevy trucks can do, are written for the halls of fame....:pROFSheriffHL:

mkitchen

Explorer
Excell EFI

Well, currently the truck has LT headers and cherry bombs dumped under the cab (it literally sounds like an airplane).

It seems to attract more dirty, confused, or affronted looks than anythings else. Maybe once I get it quieted down, and the body cleaned up.

What efi system was it using? If it was built up maybe the cam had too much overlap for it. A cam that's good for a carb is usually not good for efi, and vice versa.

Checked with my daughter and she said that it was the Excell system that she had on her truck. She does not slight the system as much as she does the shop that installed it. She did say that it did not improve gas mileage any and that she is much happier with the Edelbrock offroad carb she is now running. That is what I have on my 71 as well.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles